You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Personal Trainers  (Read 1982 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Personal Trainers
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
How does a person choose a personal trainer and what should you expect in terms of time, scheduling, and costs?

Any tips for finding a skating-aware PT?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Personal Trainers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
When I was looking for a gym, I talked to someone who picked the right trainer for me. I was very clear about my goals (weight loss, skating, general health, etc.). My trainer doesn't know skating in depth in terms of specific jumps, but he is familiar with the mechanics and the pure fact that I need to get my butt off the ice :) I am at Gold's Gym, so I started out with 10 sessions total and did once a week, then when that ran out, we did 2x's a week for 3 months, in February, I signed on for another 6 months of torture (I got a better price that way). We do a 1/2 hour each time and each month I pay $232 (for 8 sessions a month). My trainer is really good about working around my schedule and in return, I do the same for him. In theory, we do Saturdays and Mondays :)

A typical session for me is quite taxing...for example, Monday was reps on one of the shoulder machines, run (sprint) 2 laps, reps again, run (sprint) 3 laps, do a different machine, skip 2 laps (with 2 10# plates), that machine again, skip 3 laps (with 2 10# plates), walking dead lifts with 2 25# plates, dead lifts with a bar, sprint-skip-sprint 1 lap each.

We do a lot of squats, squat jumps, lunges, box jumps, slide board work, upper body, core, legs (he loves torturing my legs because I can lift a lot of weight with them...we did 360#s last time he had me do leg presses), cardio, etc.

It's rough getting through the workouts, but it gets easier!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
I have a personal trainer who comes to my home, so no machines. I'm working on building upper body so it's heavy dumbells, resistance bands, and fitness ball. She used to work at a gym where I went, then she struck out on her own (mostly in-home training for accident and injury recovery).  I don't expect her to know skating. What I do is set my goals (improve my flexibility, strengthen my feet, ankles and inner thighs, build my upper body and core) She then sets exercises to support my goals. She also varies the exercises -- something I don't get from DVDs and ups weights and reps as I improve. She also works on my balance with a balance board--I hate it because I thought I had good balance and the board defeats me. She also uses something called a challenge band (it's a resistence band in a circle) that's very good for skater's working on extension. I've done the gym thing, and I hate it. All the equipment is for people taller than I, and there's no place to work on things like spirals, so I might as well exercise at home.

I use 12 and 15 lb dumbells with controlled lifts when working with her. Maybe  I'll get to 20lb someday  88). When on my own I use 8's and 10's with high reps with some speed, just for variety.

I used to do Jazzercise--but it got too old lady for me, so I'm switching to yoga. I do other aerobics which I don't find challenging enough anymore. I guess I need to start running, but the safety nazis won't let us listen to ipods while we're running around here, and I can't face that. I really wish I could find a step class, but they're all on the wrong days...sigh.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
Look for the following degrees: bachelors or masters degree in either exercise science, exercise physiology, kinesiology, movement science, physical therapy, or athletic training.  Avoid a trainer without a degree in one of these fields.  Also look for additional certifications such as CSCS, NASM-PES (in addition to the degree).

Check my trainer database for qualified professionals that work with skaters at www.sk8strong.com/officetrainerdatabase.html
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more