You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Smell of Edea Chorus boots?  (Read 3961 times)

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Smell of Edea Chorus boots?
« on: December 15, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
I had the chance to sharpen skates for a very petite skater here at the rink. The boots were Edea Chorus, and they smelled somewhat like old cigar smoke. After sharpening them last evening, I put them into my car for delivery to the rink this afternoon. I had to leave the car windows down in the garage to prevent it from smelling like the boots. I had the smell on my clothes for the rest of the evening.

I'm sure that the skater doesn't smoke cigars, so I'm wondering if the boots themselves smell like that. Anyone using them and notice this, or is it from another cause?

Bill Schneider

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Smell of Edea Chorus boots?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
I don't have Edeas, but I've heard this several times now, I think always about Choruses. How weird and off putting.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:37:47 AM »
My Risports also smelled off out of the box.  They were leather, I don't know that Edea's in general or Chorus' in particular are leather or some other material.  But maybe it's the glue or some other element used in the manufacturing process.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:03:54 AM »
I'd hate to be a worker in THAT factory.

Unless I smoked cigars and wouldn't notice.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »
Me neither. Especially since my reports still have that pong, despite being used for 5 years. Can't be good.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:40:16 AM »
AFAIK, all the Edea boots contain synthetic resins, even the ones with leather uppers.

Some composite kayaks and canoes, which do also, continue to outgas for a while after they are made.

That said, not everybody's sweat smells exactly the same. For example, we sometimes tend not to smell as much to ourselves as to others. I assume it has something to do with the exact mix of bacteria that live on and in you. So you might consider washing your hands after sharpening someone else's boots, to avoid catching evil smelling bacteria, as well as to wash off outgassed resins.

Regardless of the cause, you could wear gloves while sharpening someone else's boots, to avoid outgassing resins and bacteria, but my understanding is that wearing gloves - even thin disposables - usually isn't considered safe practice around fast moving power machinery - something you probably know about better than me. I wonder if there is something you could safely coat your skin with to do the same thing.

If outgassed resins get into your clothing, I'm not sure what would work.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
I don't think that there's a worry about a public health epidemic, and the Edea boot smell has subsided from all areas. Like most household smells (foods, paints, solvents, abrasive cleaners, etc.), it diminshed to nothing over time.
Bill Schneider

Offline masterblaster

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
I have Edea Choruses and I don't recall a smell like cigar smoke...when I first got them, there was maybe a waterproofing/chemically smell but I don't notice anything now, after several months.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 06:09:07 PM »
Well, then, perhaps it IS an acquired smell.
Bill Schneider

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 06:12:59 AM »
Could be lot-to-lot variation.  Many synthetic materials, adhesives, and manufacturing compounds will outgas for a while, and then clear up, provided there is proper ventilation.  But a boot has several sandwiched layers.  If an intermediate layer was not first thoroughly outgassed at the factory, and then subsequently sandwiched between outer layers, stinky fumes can be trapped between the outer layers, and slowly diffuse out for a long, long time.  Then there are defective materials whose stink never clears up, such as improperly cured rubber with residual sulfur compounds (rotten eggs odor is far worse than old cigar smoke odor).

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
I've heard consistently from a lot of people that Edea's smell like pot. My ice flies I don't recall ever having that smell, but my Flamencos definitely did, to the point of being super offensive (I hate the smell of pot and it sucked that my skates had that smell). I think it's a combo of the materials and glue, but no amount of febreeze, rubbing alcohol etc gets the smell out.

I was very close to just dumping them in a vat of bleach before I switched to Harlicks the smell was so strong.

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »
I've heard consistently from a lot of people that Edea's smell like pot. My ice flies I don't recall ever having that smell, but my Flamencos definitely did, to the point of being super offensive (I hate the smell of pot and it sucked that my skates had that smell). I think it's a combo of the materials and glue, but no amount of febreeze, rubbing alcohol etc gets the smell out.

I was very close to just dumping them in a vat of bleach before I switched to Harlicks the smell was so strong.
A friend of mine previously wore Ice Fly, and currently Piano.  I've handled both her pairs, didn't notice any particular odor.  So, maybe depends on model or batch.

Offline ib_jigged

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
A girl that I sharpen her Chorus skates for has an odor as well.  I think it smells kind of like a skunk.  Been that way since new.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:30 PM »
Edeas are the worst boots for "stink" that I have ever encountered.  This doesn't surprise me :-P

I had a pair of Chorus a while back, and they never smelled like Cigars, though :-P

Maybe the skater didn't smoke, but if someone living with them did, then the boots can pick up that smell.  Cigarettes/Cigars get into anything, and linger.