You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: SkateScience Olympus Dance Blades  (Read 4663 times)

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: SkateScience Olympus Dance Blades
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »
No, Warren didn't. As Arte Johnson on TV said, "Very interesting!"
Or as Sergeant Schultz used to say, "I know Nothing! Not-Thing!".

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Yeah, this is bad news.  I was considering SkateScience for my next pair of blades.  They are one of the few that offer the combo that I prefer:  stainless steel, simple parallel edge geometry, and traditional construction (blade body brazed to heel and sole mounting plates, rather than a runner mounted to a separate chassis).

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 12:27:27 PM »
FWIIW, "Mr. Edge", when I spoke to him, loved Skate Science blades. It might be worth asking if he has any in stock in the style and size you want.

It would have been "nice" if they had informed you earlier that they were cancelling your order.

Your experience does show that they don't manufacture a lot of blades - perhaps they wait until enough of a given style and size are ordered in sufficient quantity, then make a batch.

I'm a little surprised: I thought they were laser cut, so they could just bring up the pattern on their CNC machine, and make a single pair on demand fairly easily.

But maybe they also do heat and chemical treatments (e.g., tempering, hardening, plating), and it isn't worth it unless they get enough orders of all styles and sizes combined, and if they don't, they cancel. Which would mean that even with all sizes and styles combined, they sometimes don't get enough orders for it to be worth it.

Anyway, it is SO disappointing. I wanted to see your review of their blades.

We were all hoping for you to see a 100% improvement from switching to their blades. That could have earned them a lot of business from the followers of this forum.

You should tell them they are missing a fabulous chance to get a great review from you on this forum. They should give you free blades, pay for a famous coach to give you a lesson in their use, and send you a bottle of fine wine. :)

Instead, some of us who are by nature rather skeptical of advertised claims are left with questions regarding the quality of customer service.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
The refund was deposited into my PayPal account this morning.

It's really too bad that this didn't work out. I really wanted to try them.
Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
But now you can apply that money to shop for them somewhere else, like Mr. Edge.

I wonder if they would give you a list of their other dealers, even if they can't fill your order now.