You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rockerz guards for cheap, generic blades?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 889
Rockerz guards for cheap, generic blades?
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
I'm asking for a friend who bought skates with those cheap, generic blades pre-attached. AKA her blades won't be listed on a site like this: https://figureskatingstore.com/rockerz-skate-guards/
Is it possible for her to buy Rockerz guards? Does she just need to know the length? Rockerz seems to imply they need to know the type of blade to cut them correctly, which seems really strange. Except for expensive blades that have those lightweight frames like Matrix blades and Revolution blades, I would think all you would need is the blade length and not the blade model.

How is Rockerz cutting their guards that requires it to know the blade model and not just the length?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Rockerz guards for cheap, generic blades?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
It's not the way they cut the guards that matters - it's the shaping inside the guard that requires them to know the blade type.  Ex: Ultima Mirage blades have a smaller toe rake than Wilson Pattern 99's, so they need less room.  My Gold Seal Revolution blades need a wider track inside the guard than my traditional Gold Seals.

While I think putting a pair of $40 Rockerz on pond skates is like putting lipstick on a pig, she can say her blades are similar to Mark IV blades.  She does need the length of the blade - it should be stamped on the blade itself.  When she upgrades the skates, she might be able to use the guards on the new blades.

I wasn't originally so keen on these pricey guards.  After mistakenly stepping on the ice four times while wearing them and NOT falling, I'm a fan now! ♥
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Arwen17

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 889
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
Thank you for the quick response! And it gives me an idea! We probably have skaters with Mark IV or similar blades we could compare her blades to to see if they're super-similar or not.
Yeah, even though she's not an advanced skater yet, she just really, really likes the Rockerz guards because she loves the color customization options. She will buy "normal" skate guards if she must, but she really wanted to get the Rockerz guards if possible.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »

You can buy Rockerz on Amazon and I think they're about (EDIT)$10 (EDIT)cheaper
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
You can buy Rockerz on Amazon and I think they're about $100 cheaper
?  Even directly from the Rockerz website they're ~$34 plus shipping.  Stock ones at local pro shops in my area are ~$35-$45.  At Amazon, from one affiliated seller it's ~$30 + ~$7 shipping.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Sorry, I meant I thought they're $10 cheaper. I bought my first ones and I thought they were $39 plus shipping from the ROckerz website.

I guess I was wrong.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/