You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: My Skate Selection Saga  (Read 2999 times)

Offline infinitespiral

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
My Skate Selection Saga
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
**waves hello**

So I'm an adult woman returning to skating after about eight years off the ice completely, and I'm sad to say that in that time I've lost what meager skills I'd had before. I also lost the ability to fit into my old Jacksons; too narrow/too short/too painful, so I guessworked my way into a like-new pair from eBay, one size larger and one size wider.

Fail number one: Too wide in the front and even more so in the heel.

Our rink's pro shop is hockey-focused, so I found the local Riedell rep and had her fit me. The new skates are beautiful, and by all means of measurement are my correct size (she measured me, I measured me, I talked to Riedell)--except they're too long. The width is great, and they feel fine, but the length! And then I remember how well my Jacksons used to fit me, and start to remember all the discussions I've seen and heard about the way different manufacturers' boots fit, and conclude that I have a Jackson foot and not a Riedell foot--along with a pair of really nice, pricey new skates that are kind of awkwardly big on me.

So there's Fail number two.

Back to eBay I go, and find another pair of Jacksons, half a size smaller and a size narrower. The width is right, and my heels stay put, but they're crampy at the toebox, just on the edge of painfully so on my left (longer) foot. I skated in those for about 45 minutes today, and felt like I had more control than I've had in either the too-long or the too-wide skates, but there was some definite discomfort involved. They might stretch a bit as the padding compresses, but they might not stretch enough.

Conclusion: I should have gone a half-size up.  :'(

Fortunately (?), I'm returning to the ice as a near-beginner, so I can probably fumble along for awhile in either the too-long Riedells or the too-short Jacksons. At this point, I'm just creeping along at about Adult 2-Adult 3 level, so I suspect I have some way to go before it becomes a serious issue. Still, it's been a frustrating and hilarious exercise so far, and I thought I'd come out of lurker-mode here and share it with you all.

Have any of you had this level of difficulty finding skates that fit?  :WS:

Offline icepixie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
Re: My Skate Selection Saga
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
I would just punch out the toebox of the otherwise-perfect Jacksons.  I have to do that to all of my skates, because my feet don't taper at the toes--if anything, they're wider at the toes than the ball.

I have this ball and ring pliers, which work nicely.  I bought my own because I punch my skates and my shoes, but a fitter could also do it for you.  Fitters tend to have better punching apparatuses as well, with bigger and differently shaped punching areas to meet various needs.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
Our rink's pro shop is hockey-focused, so I found the local Riedell rep and had her fit me. The new skates are beautiful, and by all means of measurement are my correct size (she measured me, I measured me, I talked to Riedell)--except they're too long. The width is great, and they feel fine, but the length! And then I remember how well my Jacksons used to fit me, and start to remember all the discussions I've seen and heard about the way different manufacturers' boots fit, and conclude that I have a Jackson foot and not a Riedell foot--along with a pair of really nice, pricey new skates that are kind of awkwardly big on me.
You had two strikes on eBay.  You have to eat those.  But, you got your Riedell boots from a Riedell rep.  If the boots don't fit, the rep should make it right.   Did you go back to the rep and raise the issue?

Offline infinitespiral

• Under the Edge
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
You had two strikes on eBay.  You have to eat those.  But, you got your Riedell boots from a Riedell rep.  If the boots don't fit, the rep should make it right.   Did you go back to the rep and raise the issue?

I was informed in advance that once they're sharpened, they're not returnable. They're sharpened.  :blush:

I'll lose some money, of course, but I should be able to sell both pairs of too-bigs on eBay, and I should be able to find someone that can stretch the tight Jacksons for me. I'll just look at it all as a learning experience...

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »
I agree with the other posters.

If you skated in new boots for 45 minutes and they did not hurt, that would be a shock. 

You can heat mold your Jacksons.  There are instructions on Youtube.  In my experience an ordinary oven works, but use caution.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:37:22 PM »
I agree with the other posters.

If you skated in new boots for 45 minutes and they did not hurt, that would be a shock. 

You can heat mold your Jacksons.  There are instructions on Youtube.  In my experience an ordinary oven works, but use caution.
Lower grade Jacksons can't be heat molded.  The OP needs to check on the Jackson website whether her particular model can be heat molded.  From her discussion of her Riedells, it appears she bought a pre-packaged kit (boot + attached blade), which would be lower grade.  It's not clear what grade her used Jacksons off eBay are.

Offline Andrea.Spencer-Kemler

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
Hi, Infinitespiral!

At the risk of sounding like a used-car salesman, I've been in an almost-identical situation so I feel your pain.  88)What size Jackson are you in? I have two pair lightly used for sale, boot and blade combos. The first sounds like it would be about your level and they are a size 8.5 standard width Jackson Elle with a Mirage blade, so lightly used I never even had to have them sharpened. The second pair is a pair of Jackson Competitors, size 8, used for less than a year with a Coronation Ace blade attached. I'm asking $150 for the Elle's, $300 for the Competitor/Coronation Ace combo. If you're interested, let me know!!

Happy skating!!

Offline infinitespiral

• Under the Edge
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:06 AM »
Hi Andrea!

Thanks for the offers, but both of those are far too big! My tight Jackson Elles are a size 5B; fortunately, this weekend I had the bright idea of pulling out the insole, and that actually seemed to help. We'll see how it goes with my lesson tonight.  :laugh:

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
For the wide Jacksons - Try removing the insoles. Cut your own, out of some suitable material. Make them extra wide where there is extra space, so the insole goes along-side your foot, to snug it up. If there is A LOT of extra space, you may leave in the old insoles, and add an extra one on top.

It is a bit harder, but I like to cut my own insoles out of foam (at the moment, I'm using foam from a cheap camping pad, though it eventually mats and needs to be replaced) - and then trim them down 3-dimensionally with a scissors, until the fit is perfect.

Of course I'm making a couple major assumptions:
1. You are good at analyzing what changes need to be made.
2. You don't have insensitive feet, and can feel where they are tight and loose.

I will send you a link to my boot modification page.

Offline Andrea.Spencer-Kemler

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »
Good morning, InfiniteSpiral!!

Lol!! Those would be far too big!! So glad you found a solution, though!! Have a fabulous week!!