You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating in southern South Korea  (Read 148 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Doing Slidy Back Crossovers
  • Total GOE: 40
Skating in southern South Korea
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
I'm be moving to South Korea and I'm looking for some advice. I read a thread by TheAquarian on how the skating scenario is in Seoul, but would anyone know about good skate pro shops, skate sharpeners, etc in the southern area of Korea (Busan and nearby cities)?

I also checked out the rink this year. Just as TheAquarian said, the area in the middle is off-limits except to those taking lessons, which means if I don't get lessons, I get to share the ice with speed skaters. There are also only 2 figure skating coaches in the rink, and none of them speak English...and apparently, semi-private lessons are the norm here, where you share lessons with 3-4 other students, each at a different level. (So while you practice, the coach is teaching another student, then gets back to you, and so on.)

I'm especially interested in where to have the skates sharpened though. Seoul is too far. Does anyone know where to have skates sharpened in southern South Korea? Thanks a lot!

Offline Loops

• Walloops All Around
  • Total GOE: 99
Re: Skating in southern South Korea
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
I wish I could help you with the sharpening info.  But what I will say, is that I lived in France for 3 years before I started skating again.  And that time, because I was a stay at home mom with 2 kids, was in an English bubble (my husband and I speak English together). So my french was less then meh. Once I got back on the ice, my French improved dramatically!  None of my coaches speak English, and there are definitely still some language barriers, but it works and it's OK.  I would say throw yourself in there.  The group lesson thing is fine- that's the system in France (except that we're ALL in lesson at the same time, and the 2 coaches work with us individually from time to time, then let us to our own devices).  It will be hard, and you'll both be frustrated a lot, especially at the beginning, but it will be worth it.  And your Korean will get good quick!  Is there an adult synchro team?  I encourage that too. Great for making friends and meeting other skaters.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Offline sampaguita

• Doing Slidy Back Crossovers
  • Total GOE: 40
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
Thanks Loops! I will have to see if I can afford the lessons though. I'm moving there for studies, and we get a stipend. Skating lessons were apparently not part of the computation for my living expenses  ;D But ice time is relatively cheap, I notice.

Offline Loops

• Walloops All Around
  • Total GOE: 99
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »
What?  In what kind of cruel universe do they not consider skating needs in a stipend?!  Even if Korea has an amazing health care system, you probably can't get it covered under "mental health needs" either.....  :nvm:

One of the things I appreciate about the group lesson system is the price.  There are definite drawbacks, (but the only real alternative is to not skate, so........) nevertheless, I pay for a year less than what my parents paid for a month in the US back when I was a kid.  And this INCLUDES the extra bit I have to pay up front for synchro expenses....like travel and lodging at competitions.  And dresses if we're changing. Hopefully you're in for as good a surprise as I had when I signed up!

Offline Query

• Perfectly Centered
  • Total GOE: 97
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 12:13:37 AM »
I do know that South Korea is extremely well known for their speed skating programs. Some of the most popular speed skating coaches come from South Korea, including in my part of the U.S.

I suspect that isn't what you are looking for. But sometimes it is fun to get the type of sports training that is locally available at a high level.

BTW, I don't know if that is in "southern" South Korea.