You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "Inappropriate" music and adult competitions  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
"Inappropriate" music and adult competitions
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »
Is there a different standard of sorts when it comes to appropriateness of music when it's an adult competition vs a "regular" competition? It's a subjective area, so I'm curious as to whether the audience makes a difference.

This is for an entertainment event (probably light, but undecided at the moment), and I'm probably riding the line on the lyrics (I'm including a bit of "White Rabbit", which we all know is about Alice in Wonderland, right?)  ;) My theory is that I'm willing to take the ding for the music (if it comes down to that), since I'm on the lower end of the PB spectrum, and it really wouldn't matter when it comes down to final placement. I'm skating this for my own crazy amusement, so it doesn't bother me. (Side note, my mad hatter vest is fabulous, with a corseted back and red lined tails!)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: "Inappropriate" music and adult competitions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
As someone once pointed out to me, other skaters will have to listen to the song over and over when you do runthroughs at your rink.  Most complaints come from there.  (Most likely, from parents.)

We used to have a member who stated that  "Greased Lightning" was about having sex in cars.  It is a song filled with double entendres so she was right but a clipped version or a kiddie version wouldn't have have that intention.  She replied that the song itself in any form meant an automatic ding if she were judging.  I don't think she was asked if it was okay for an adult to skate to it - I wonder what her reaction would have been? 

To that end, I've seen teenagers skate to beautiful instrumentals of songs that were about drugs and sex.  Maybe the lyrics are the key?

From what I've seen on YouTube and Icenetwork, a little racy or outrageous is okay at adult events. I'm not sure about drug references though.  Any opinion from people more knowledgeable?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
Not so worried about corrupting the kiddies at practice... I almost never get my music played (maybe 6 times in the past 6 mos), and when I do, it's on ice that is generally populated by teens and adults. I can always cut the lyrics for a "clean" version for practice as well.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
My coach did a program for me that was based on a Broadway song, sung by an actor who camped it up to the nth degree while singing to a group of equally camped up men, and when I shook my booty in an archly campy way, she said, "Oh no, you can't do that."

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:59 AM »
When "A little bit of Monica" (alternate names exist) was popular, a lot of rinks here played it a lot.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/loubega/mambono5.html

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:27 AM »
 I actually have the same question, but in a more general aspect. What is considered inappropriate music?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:26:42 AM »
Inappropriate: I would say cursing, vulgar lyrics (not double entendres) and rejoicing in drugs or violence would be on the no-no list.  Just mho.  The rule about what you write on the internet was "Anything you would would let your sweet granny read."  I guess the same could be true of music, no?

The record for inappropriate music goes to the Staten Island War Memorial.  The outdoor rink was blasting vulgar rap music for the entire public session two years ago, right after they reopened after a renovation.  The night air was blue with swear words and lyrics about gang-bangers, hookers and shootings.  But, Mr. Clark, it had a good beat and you could dance to it...NOT!

I insist on squeaky-clean lyrics for all my students, adult or child.  (Instrumentals are better and easier to cut to length.) 
It's not worth offending anyone, especially a judge.

Mambo Number Five has a Radio Disney version that fits the bill and is a lot of fun to listen to since he substituted Disney character names and more G-rated lyrics.  (We listened to RD back in the day, so I was surprised that the original was so spicy.) 

In many cases, you can find alternate versions of songs on Kidz Bop albums, but I don't know if that solves the problem of a prejudiced judge who is turned off by the whole idea of using "that" song.  Does it extend to instrumentals as well?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
Good thread. I wish these standards applied to "foreign" lyrics as well. Can't tell you how many times I've heard inappropriate music over here.  It's been everything ranging from a synchro team skating to a song featuring car crashes (that's not bad just not good juju) to little kids dancing to a song I didn't know but made me blush. Enough people speak English that you'd think the coaches and dance instructors would take the time to at least cut and paste the lyrics through Google translate. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine......every year so far I've been shocked at synchro competitions. if I were a judge you can be sure I'd comment on it......

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »
I hate Santa Baby. It's about a 'kept' woman and for some reasons mommies of 6 year old girls don't see it as inapproprite.
I think if an adult skated to it, people would be shocked.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
I hate Santa Baby. It's about a 'kept' woman and for some reasons mommies of 6 year old girls don't see it as inapproprite.

Most people in this world make their decisions solely on their emotional reaction.   And Santa Baby has a "feel good" vibe, so therefore it raises no alarm bells for most.   Actual thought and analysis never gets a look in.

For the same reason you couldn't skate to Rammstein, because "they sound like dangerous nazis" even though their politics is actually left leaning.  (though I do think Der Meister https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9PN8DS7k0 could make a stunning programme  ::>) ).

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »

Jeepers. Learn something new every day  :blush:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »
As a judge I have to say that I hate "Santa Baby" - whether done by an adult or a six-year-old - I do like Ertha Kitt a LOT but would rather people skate to other music of hers.

I think the thing is to try to make sure your music won't make people uncomfortable.  The judges range in age and prudishness but I would probably err on the side of prudish.

And just because you like to listen to it in your living room or car doesn't mean it will sound good on the ice.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
Lyrics of Santa Baby
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
You be the judge:

Santa Baby, just slip a sable under the tree, For me.
Been an awful good girl, Santa baby,
So hurry down the chimney tonight.

Santa baby, a 54 convertible too,
Light blue.
I'll wait up for you dear,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight.

Think of all the fun I've missed,
Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed,
Next year I could be just as good,
If you'll check off my Christmas list,

Santa baby, I wanna yacht,
And really that's not a lot,
Been an angel all year,

Santa honey, one little thing I really need,
The deed
To a platinum mine,

Santa cutie, and fill my stocking with a duplex,
And checks.
Sign your 'X' on the line,
Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight.

Come and trim my Christmas tree,
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's,
I really do believe in you,
Let's see if you believe in me,

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing,
A ring.
I don't mean on the phone,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight,
Hurry down the chimney tonight,
Hurry, tonight.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
I dunno, it sounds like the dynamic between most couples to me.   One could make the argument that the whole of "adult human relationships" is inappropriate for children, and I'd be inclined to agree.    There are always power imbalances, due to "need" imbalances.   And power imbalances are ALWAYS gamed sooner or later.    Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »

LOATHE that song. But I do like the thought of skating to it in its full, horrifying glory. Especially since I'm *ahem* "gifted" up top and could take it to levels of all kinds of wrong.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »
Lol, sounds like your run-of-the-mill gold digger to me!

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:07 AM »
It's essentially the same as the female part from Scarborough Fair

Now he has asked me questions three,
    Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme;
    I hope he'll answer as many for me,
    Before he shall be a true lover of mine.

Tell him to buy me an acre of land,
    Between the salt water and the sea sand,
    Then he shall be a true lover of mine.

Tell him to plough it with a ram's horn,
    And sow it all over with one pepper corn,
    And he shall be a true lover of mine.

Tell him to sheer't with a sickle of leather,
    And bind it up with a peacock's feather,

Tell him to thrash it on yonder wall,
    Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme,
    And never let one corn of it fall,
    Then he shall be a true lover of mine.

When he has done and finished his work.
    Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme:
    Oh, tell him to come and he'll have his shirt,

i.e. a laundry list of material demands in exchange for "exclusive reproductive access".   Oldest story in the book.   And indeed not suitable for young children.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 03:14:53 AM »

i.e. a laundry list of material demands in exchange for "exclusive reproductive access".   Oldest story in the book.   And indeed not suitable for young children.

Thanks for the warning flag! Totally never thought of Scarborough Fair  that way. Woops crossing that off my "to skate list".
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline icepixie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:26 PM »

i.e. a laundry list of material demands in exchange for "exclusive reproductive access".

It strikes me as more a convoluted way of saying "lol nope" to the guy, since those are all impossible demands to fulfill!

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
It strikes me as more a convoluted way of saying "lol nope" to the guy, since those are all impossible demands to fulfill!

You're quite right.  I stand corrected.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »

Totally agree. I've always hated it, and last year we were subjected to it as some 13 year old had it for their program. No one else seemed to notice but it made me cringe every time it was played.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
I quite like Kitt's Santa Baby but ITA that it's not for skating...unless it's a showcase number with lots of props and a chubby guy in a red suit.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 10:11:52 PM »
I don't mind Santa Baby that much.  Baby It's Cold Outside, OTOH...

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
In some of the most popular versions of Scarborough Fair, e.g., Simon and Garfunkel, it is the lady who is asked to do impossible things.

It always struck me as a strange song. At first listen, it sounds like a love song, but it mocks true love, traditional chivalry, etc.

I didn't know about the Disney version of Mambo # 5. Simple changes, but what a difference! OTOH, I think that making a really major change of meaning like that to a piece of music isn't altogether legit. Censoring a work doesn't fully remove it's original meaning.

I think that other no-nos would include things that relate to specific religions, faces, ethnic groups, countries, etc., in a negative way. Or maybe in too positive a way too, since that to some extant denigrates others by comparison. OTOH, that would kill songs like "Amazing Grace", Handel's Messiah, etc., which are quite religion-specific, but which are also quite beautiful.

How about Brain Salad Surgery? Most of is awful skating music, but I could imagine skating to one of fast paced "Karn Evil 9" sections, or maybe the opening number, Jerusalem (or the traditional music it was derived from). But some people could take offense, if they took the lyrics seriously, in a religious manner, in either case.

Another issue is that most teen age kids, even some pre-teens, are more knowledgeable about "adult topics" than some adults realize. Especially if they have access to the Internet, through a PC, iPad, SmartTV, or whatever, or they listen to the radio or TV - or play video games. (What values does Grand Theft Auto teach?) I think most younger kids know it's there - but it doesn't mean much to them, so they usually just ignore it. Give it a catchy toon, and to a large extent, that's all they hear.

If I wanted to avoid offending a judge, I would stay away from anything that had such a possibility. But that would kill a lot of traditional skating music, like Carmen, Bolero, etc. I think they are OK without the words. E.g., Mambo number 5 is a great tune. :) But the tune to Scarborough Fair, like many traditional balads, is boring.

So my vote - keep the music, dump the words, and almost anything is fine.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »
When they started allowing lyrics in competition a couple of years ago I really thought that someone should do a program to INXS's "Enjoy the Silence."  Just because.