You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Linked Events

• SWTS 2-hr Premiere: November 22, 2010
  • SWTS: November 29, 2010
  • SWTS: December 06, 2010
  • SWTS: December 13, 2010
  • SWTS: December 20, 2010
  • SWTS Finale: December 21, 2010

Author Topic: Skating with the Stars (ABC)  (Read 11154 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Skating with the Stars (ABC)
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
Received this message via email

The Hottest Competition on Ice

<snip> But, the fun is just getting started when six brave stars compete on ice in tonight's series premiere of SKATING WITH THE STARS. Take a look at the competitors on ABC.com and then watch tonight to see who will rise... and who will fall.

Click here to see who will be skating!

SKATING WITH THE STARS SERIES PREMIERE TONIGHT (11/22/2010) at 9|8c

Source: http://a.abc.com/media/email/primetime/fob/swts/112210/111810_abc_swts_b.html
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
Re: Skating with the Stars (ABC)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
From TVGuide.com -- http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/skating-stars/307684
(For some reason, TV Guide shows the time slot as 9:11|8:11c, so set your DVRs/VCRs accordingly.)

Worried about undergoing withdrawal now that Dancing with the Stars approaches the end of another season? The premiere of this new reality competition should help ease some of that pain. The concept is familiar: Six celebrities are paired up with professional ice skaters, and their fates are determined by a combination of judges' and viewers' votes. Vince Neil, Bethenny Frankel and Sean Young are among the stars who signed on to hit the ice, and Olympian Johnny Weir is on the panel of judges. — Jennifer Sankowski

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:32:41 AM »
This competition includes judges' and viewers' voting, so be ready to vote for your favorite couple.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
Here’s the ABC schedule through January:  (From http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/10/15/abc-schedules-skating-with-the-stars-and-return-of-v/)

Nov. 22 9-11: Skating With the Stars (premiere)  ** 2 HOURS **
Nov. 29 8-9:30: Skating With the Stars
Dec. 6  8-9:30: Skating With the Stars
Dec. 13  8-9: Skating With the Stars
Dec. 20  8-9: Skating With the Stars
Dec. 21 8-9: Skating With the Stars (season finale)  ** TUESDAY **

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
I'm watching now - it's not pretty.  Oddly enough, I actually know who the young african-american guy is, moreso than Vince Neal from Motley Crew.

I want the choreographer-judge to shut up now.  She doesn't know what she's talking about and just told Neal to spot on his spins.  Can you spell "moron?"

Button's doing okay, I get the feeling he just wants the paycheck.

Johnny's wearing too much makeup - he looks like an Elvis doll.  Did he really need to announce that he's wearing a weave?  Gak.  I like his judging remarks, though. 

His Poker Face routine's getting a little old and man, was he out of breath by the end.  It was a shortened version on a small rink without his really big moves.  He didn't even attempt the ramps.  Maybe he's not feeling well.

The MC is creepy - he keeps hitting on the guys and totally ignoring the ladies' appearance.

I liked Jonny Moseley.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
I only got to watch half of it, because my DD had an orchestra concert.  Lori Ann Gibson bugs me.  Skating is not just like dance.  I about cheered when Dick Button told her that.  Well, at least this bunch can skate.  Remember the show like this with Scott Hamilton as the host.  They could hardly stand up on skates.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:58 AM »
I don't know/care to remember the name of the "star" who skated last - she's the one with the uber-resume: celebrity, actress, reality show star, bla bla bla.

She totally reminded me of Kate Gosselin as she skated - her partner was towing her around and carrying/lifting her constantly because she honestly couldn't skate.  Worse, she has Gosselin's rhythm and performance from DWTS. 

My mouth dropped open when I saw that Gosselin was in the crowd watching her and cheering.
Those who do not study history...

So, who do we think is going first?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »
Vote by noon today! http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/skating-with-the-stars/vote

You can watch online here: http://cdn.abc.go.com/shows/skating-with-the-stars?cid=abc_ss3_sws_fep

DH thought it was "nice" that there was a short promo for US Figure Skating...
I said "Yeah, our membership dollars at work - that wasn't a freebie.  That's why the ISI is so much more affordable."
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »
ITA with your reviews. Dancing with the Stars is cheesy fun. This, by contrast, is kitsch. The show only perpetuates every negative stereotype about figure skating.

Just curious, did the little rink look like real ice to you? I thought it might have been that synthetic, cruise line plastic stuff.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
I tried watching it but the whole thing seemed so canned - the judges remarks were ridiculous and I agree with drskater that it really brought out the worst stereotypes and a level of cheesiness that our sport occasionally embodies - I could not really watch it. 

I was impressed with how well people were able to skate however, after only 5 weeks!

Offline Artemis

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 62
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »
Ok, they could not have picked a worse night to premier, as far as I was concerned ... immediately after the finale of Battle of the Blades. After watching BotB for the past 8 weeks and being blown away by how utterly amazing the pairs were ... Skating with the Stars suffered even more by comparison. I mean, Skating with the Stars (stars? really?) would have been a giant spandex&glitter-clad cheezefest regardless, but following BotB ... unwatchable.
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." ~ anon

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »
They wanted a follow-on audience from DWTS, so I doubt they looked at the Canadian listings.  We don't have BotB here in the US, but I'll take your word for its superiority, Artemis. At least this doesn't have the closed-minded hockey skater like the last failed incarnation. (Skating With Celebrities)  What kind of skates do the BotB hockey skaters wear?

Just curious, did the little rink look like real ice to you? I thought it might have been that synthetic, cruise line plastic stuff.
I didn't notice - they practiced on real ice, but the show stuff was pretty shiny.  That might be an obstacle for the skaters, not fair.  Anyone see snow spray during the performances?

Offline Artemis

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 62
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
They wanted a follow-on audience from DWTS, so I doubt they looked at the Canadian listings.

Oh, I have no doubt whatsoever that they didn't factor BotB into their scheduling at all. I was just commenting that, from my point of view, it made me even less inclined to like it. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous!

We don't have BotB here in the US, but I'll take your word for its superiority, Artemis. At least this doesn't have the closed-minded hockey skater like the last failed incarnation. (Skating With Celebrities)  What kind of skates do the BotB hockey skaters wear?

Last year all of the guys except one started on hockey skates and then gradually moved to figure skates. This year they had a longer training/"boot camp" before the first performance so all the guys were on figure skates by the time they did their first performances.

If you want to see some of the BotB performances, check YouTube -- most if not all are posted. I also posted links to my favourites in the Battle of the Blades thread here.
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." ~ anon

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
I can't believe they stretched that out for an hour and a half!!  I mean, there was what, a half hour of skating and judging?  What was the other hour?? Oh--commercials...

For only five weeks, they did ok.  I didn't recognize any of the pro skaters (that's not unusual for me these days) but the one with blue eye shadow almost to her hairline scared me.

I'll watch it again, but I won't keep watching if they persist in stretching it with the same commercials to 90 minutes.  Crazy.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16:26 PM »
The show's supposed to be shorter for the regular episodes; this was the premiere so they made it longer.

Jimmy Kimmel did a bit about SWTS: http://abc.go.com/watch/clip/jimmy-kimmel-live/SH005455790000/PL5520978/VD5599339/zamboni-ing-over-the-stars/moments
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
I'd like to know what the train of thought was behind hiring that choreographer judge who knows nothing about skating. I am constantly explaining to people that figure skaters don't spot. And then somebody like that judge comes along and causes the millions of people watching this show to think that figure skaters spot.  >:(
I was impressed by the two or three one foot spins done. Most of the pairs did pair spins, which is considerably easier because your partner is holding you up.

Was disappointed in the girls' costumes and Johnny being on the show. It only magnifies the so called 'gayness' and 'sluttiness' of figure skating.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
I'd like to know what the train of thought was behind hiring that choreographer judge who knows nothing about skating. I am constantly explaining to people that figure skaters don't spot. And then somebody like that judge comes along and causes the millions of people watching this show to think that figure skaters spot.  >:(
I was impressed by the two or three one foot spins done. Most of the pairs did pair spins, which is considerably easier because your partner is holding you up.

Was disappointed in the girls' costumes and Johnny being on the show. It only magnifies the so called 'gayness' and 'sluttiness' of figure skating.

ITA.  In particular with the "spotting" comment, and also that Vince Neal didn't seem to get much credit for his one foot spin WITH ARMS UP.  Not an easy spin for any beginner.  I didn't think Johnny Moseley was as good as the judges seemed to think he was.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:10 PM »
I've watched the first two episodes.

The judges aren't trained as judges. Do ISI and USFSA let judges work for money outside ISI and USFSA?

Surprising that Johnny Wier and Dick Button nonetheless scored skaters pretty consistently.

The judges should get real judge-like training, and be trained to provide more consistent results with each other.

By the second episode, choreographer Laurieann Gibson became more consistent with the others. Did Johnny and Dick give her a lecture? The show also spelled out what they were looking for, perhaps to make it easier for her.

There are quite a few criteria by which some types of land dance and ice skating (including Pairs and Dance, which this mostly is) are different. Not just spotting. A Ballet or Modern or Theatrical Dance choreographer is used to choreographing the whole body, whereas skaters are expected to hold certain parts of the body still (more like Ballroom or Irish step dance), and should isolate motions more to the hip joint, and for some skating styles, to rotations at the base of the spine. Skaters should also hold poses for longer. There are some differences in the way jumps are done - e.g., while gliding, and the timing of rotations (off-ice dancers generally finish rotating before leaving the floor; I guess on ice skaters are supposed to jump from a neutral spine, and delay rotation. Differences in the ways and directions toes can point (e.g., many Ice Dancers point outwards in front and back, but move the foot to be parallel in the middle). I may be a bit wrong in those things, and I'm sure there are others that some of you could point out - I'm not that knowledgeable a skater. If Laurieann didn't get a lecture, she won't know how to judge skating well enough to run a good show.

All of the judges are functioning more like coaches or choreographers than judges - mostly making encouraging comments, and going easy on them, rather than making hard-core criticism like a judge would. I think the producers and judges need to learn how to run this show better. Maybe they need suggestions?

I also feel that 5 weeks was not enough preparation for the skaters. Some are having too much trouble staying balanced. They need 10 or 15 weeks! Yes, that is hard on a celebrities, who have other commitments, but I see little choice. Dancing with the stars required less time because everyone already knows how to move on land, and most people have danced on land at least a little.

As with Dancing with the Stars, it's not fair to pit non-athletes and chubby people against trim athletes. Maybe they shouldn't try?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
I've not seen this given that I'm the other side of the pond, but it does sound like a version of our Dancing on Ice and yes we've got the prima donna dance choreographer adding inane comments. Thankfully he's yet to comment on spins and spotting (you can spot the dance trained actors easily as they're the ones who spot their spins), but focuses more on arms and lines. And he comments on them Simon Cowell style to get the boos.
What is most interesting, given that we're now on to series 6 or 7 (I lose track and rapidly lost interest), is that the stars don't have 5 or 6 weeks of training. They all start training when they hear they're auditioning. And then after that they get so many weeks of coaching with proper coaches before being partnered up with the pro skaters (and we've never heard of most of them either, although from rumour some of the North American pros we've been using have switched to this show). The last celebrity through my rink at home continued with his private coaching out of his own pocket throughout the series, so he became part of the rink, whereas most of them disappear after they've had their allocated allowance from the show.
What's interesting is that some of these stars kids then take up lessons which is nice, although I'm not sure how many of them stick at it long term. But the shows have filled the rinks here (effect is lessoning now) and filled up the LTS classes. Adult skating was a minority interest thing originally, now there's a lot more adults skating and competing as they've been inspired by the show. So despite what we as skaters think, it does have the desired publicity effect.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Dear Disney/ABC:

Here are some suggestions to salvage this show. 

. Get rid of Vernon and Laurie Ann.  If Vernon's making a six-figure salary, fire the moron who hired him.
. Let Tanith take over the commentator duties with a pay raise.
. Hire an intern to report the scores.  If Tanith does analysis, you don't need a talking head like Vernon.
. Get rid of Laurie Ann.  Her comments are useless and irrelevant, plus she's unqualified to judge.
. Hire Randy Winship from the ISI to judge.  He's positive, fun and colorful, plus he's a qualified Gold judge.
. Alternately, hire a REAL figure skating choreographer and pay him/her a decent salary to judge.
. Add new "required elements" each week, but analyze each team's performances of the elements side-by-side.
. Have guest skaters perform a program that includes all of the prior and current elements, then have Tanith analyze them and explain what makes them work.
. Encourage Johnny Weir to come out from behind his costumes because he's really quite intelligent and funny without them.  They distract from his comments and dead-on analyses/suggestions.
. Let Dick Button use his Buttonisms.  They're cute, they're pithy, and we expect them of our Senior Statesman.
. Copy "Push Dick's Button" and have him do a blip about issues in learning to skate/mastering new elements, especially for busy adult skaters with families. 

-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
The skiing guy did a full flip-toe!   :o :o I can't believe it. He's been skating for two months and he can land a flip!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 09:06:07 AM »
Jonny Mosely attempted a salchow-toe loop combination and two-footed both.  It was the first woman who skated who did the flip and landed it on one foot.  I was impressed with both of them. 

I'm sorry to see Vince go, because he seemed to really enjoy skating and even with his having skated as a kid, his progress is closer to what I see from the average adult skater. 

It was nice to see Weir tone down his fashion statement a bit this week, although I think the general public might be inclined to take him more seriously if he wore a normal suit.  He has some good points to make if people get beyond the personna.  Uncle Dickie is the high point for me; I'd watch the show just for his comments.  Gibson is a waste of air-time.  I can't believe she's the best "choreographer" the producers could find, no matter how cheaply she works.  Her comments make no sense whatsoever;  I figure she's there to ego-stroke the stars by gushing.

I would have expected the male stars to have tougher times than the females because the male coaches might have an easier time making their parnters look good.  So it's nice to see everyone fairly evenly matched. 

Did anyon catch Keana's dig at Brandon?  At first the hosts led me to believe he'd been injured and it wasn't until late in the show that they admitted he was sick.  Keana made the comment that she wished it was her who'd been sick because she would have skated anyway (and then Weir agreed with her).  They stopped a hair short of saying Brandon wimped out. by saying that it was the doctor who wouldn't let him skate.  He's one of the youngest, he's got the roller-skating background and should be one of the front-runners.  He caught a break this week but I wonder if 'll be so lucky next week.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
^ ^  Entire Post - ITA ^ ^

Getting really tired of Brooke's costumes - while soft and romantic was the theme, her look was kind of whorish.  Again.  Jonny's combination just wasn't very good with his breaking at the waist and two-footed landings.  Vince was so cute with the Bridge kids, and I was rooting for him.  (Let's be honest - that wasn't an LTS group lesson.)  I thought his waltz jump was good, but the first star's flip was better.  Almost effortless, in fact. 

Weir's commentary was excellent, as was Dick Button's.  (Is it me, or does Uncle Dick dislike Vernon as much as the rest of us?)  Purple is a good color on Johnny.  Too many ruffles, though.  Lady Judge needs to find a new gig - she's useless.

I really think every team is expected to provide some drama.  Someone had a strained shoulder last week.  Another one hurt her wrist this week, but muddled on bravely.  (It wasn't bothering her - they did pull waltz jumps.)

Keana allegedly had a painful eye problem last week that sent HER to the ER.  It never materialized on screen during the episode.  This week, it's her partner projectile-vomiting?  Too much coincidence.  I think the scripts require each team to (1) have a falling out; (2) trash talk the judges/other skaters; and/or (3) have an injury or illness to overcome or punk out on. 

Honestly, I hate it when kids puke on the ice.  I wouldn't even want to know about it on TV.  They should really give the guy the benefit of the doubt.  I'll bet they do a come-from-behind to take the lead next week, with this additional rest.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
 ::>)

Can't get rid of the lady. The problem with Weir and Button is that they agree too much.

A show like this needs controversy. You watched Dancing with the Stars, right?

It's OK for one person - say Button - to play the distinguished gentleman statesman. As long as the others play opposite roles. Snide remarks, about the skaters, about other judges.

The show producers must be particularly disappointed with Weir. In the year leading up to the Olympics he demonstrated an ability to create controversy wherever he went - exactly what the producers needed. The fashions, his role as "The Angel of Music" (a referenced to Phantom of the Opera, and Satan in Christian theology), etc. But so far he has acted responsibly in this show, and can even be nice. He needs a talking to!

Let's bring the British version here! Lots of British actors and musicians are dear to the American heart (everything good on TV is made by BBC), and would do just fine.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
Jonny Mosely attempted a salchow-toe loop combination and two-footed both.  It was the first woman who skated who did the flip and landed it on one foot.  I was impressed with both of them. 

Jonny M. did a flip-toeloop combination.  He 2-footed the flip landing and failed to control the rotation on the toeloop landing so stepped out of it, but both jumps looked rotated.  Good for him for challenging himself with the most difficult jump element! 

I could definitely see Jonny and Brooke in 2nd place instead of 1st, but figure skating judges *really* appreciate speed and deep knee bend and he's the only contestant who showed them that.  And don't forget, he was also the one who had to do the lifting in this pair, for which he deserves lots of credit.