You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Learn to Skate USA (USFSA Basic Skills Rebranding)  (Read 29362 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Learn to Skate USA (USFSA Basic Skills Rebranding)
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
The LTSUSA Instructor Manual glosses over the standards. The ISI did SUCH a better job of explaining the passing standards in their handbook. 
I assume that's why they refused to make it available online for free - they put a lot of work into scripting each skill, even the uncaptured maneuvers.

Quote from: LTS USA Teaching Tips for Instructors
Basic 2 - Backward Swizzles (LTS USA)

SKILL: Backward Stroking
OBJECTIVE: Students will perform four to six backward strokes across the width of the ice.
FOCUS: BACKWARD INSIDE EDGE PUSH, BACKWARD MOMENTUM
TEACHING TIPS: Review forward stroking and inside/outside edges. Demonstrate how to push with the inside edge in a reverse T-position.

versus

Quote from: ISI Handbook, Beta Test
1. Backward Stroking

The push must be made with the inside edge of each foot without use of the toe picks.  Each stroke must be a distance at least equal to the skater's height with the free foot carried in front over the tracings.  The stroke shall commence on the outside edge of the blade, changing to the inside prior to the feet coming close together for the beginning of the next stroke.  At least six alternating strokes must be taken without interruption; each stroke must be at least equal to the skater's height.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
The LTSUSA Instructor Manual glosses over the standards. The ISI did SUCH a better job of explaining the passing standards in their handbook. 
I assume that's why they refused to make it available online for free - they put a lot of work into scripting each skill, even the uncaptured maneuvers.

Interesting, and frustrating.  So how do instructors know what the actual standards are?  An example:  in the new magazine, there's an article on p. 16 ("What if my child struggles with a level?") that says "Every skating move has a prescribed passing standard and children should know what is fully expected before evaluations time.  (For example, a one-foot glide needs to be held three times your height in a balanced position to pass the level.)"   I can't find that info anywhere else, and in the Skate Coach Basic app, the Basic 2 description says that the one-foot glide should be held for a count of 2 or a distance of one foot.  So there's incomplete and conflicting information.  What does the Instructor Manual say about that skill?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Meh.  The LTS USA and ISI standards are about the same in this case.

Quote from: LTS USA Teaching Tips
Basic 2

Skill: Forward one foot glides, Right & Left
Objective: Students will glide on one foot for a count of four and repeat on the other foot.
Focus: BALANCE, CONTROL, MOMENTUM
Teaching Tips: Review weight transfer techniques and allow students to practice standing on one foot by holding onto the barrier with only their pinkie fingers.  Review proper body position including placement of free foot in one-foot glide.

versus

Quote from: ISI Handbook
Pre-Alpha Test
2. One-Foot Glide Must be performed for a distance at least equal to the skater's height on each foot after taking only three steps.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
The way instructors learn the standards is through tutelage: their own experience, a mentor coach or skating director or through a seminar or workshop.  That's one of the reasons that the ISI offers free District Seminars for directors/coaches.  (Which are also eligible for PSA educational credits, btw.)

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Education_District_Seminar

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »
Meh.  The LTS USA and ISI standards are about the same in this case.

So for that one they both give a reasonable description of the passing standard.  But the Basic 2 description of the distance required(count of four) conflicts both with the Skate Coach description (count of two or 12") and the magazine article (three times height).  Confusing.

The way instructors learn the standards is through tutelage: their own experience, a mentor coach or skating director or through a seminar or workshop.  That's one of the reasons that the ISI offers free District Seminars for directors/coaches.  (Which are also eligible for PSA educational credits, btw.)

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Education_District_Seminar

Makes sense, I guess.  I'm a little frustrated by it but my situation is unusual.  My rink is ISI for basic skills LTS; I'm also working with a coach and I'm hoping to have her unofficially check me off on the LTS USA skills because I like the curriculum better (and I may want to do a USFS basic skills competition later).  But since she teaches ISI basic skills (and coaches higher level USFS) I don't know if she knows the passing standards for LTS USA skills.  I was hoping to have a resource to refer to.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »
Do you have the newest version of Skate Coach?  I haven't updated it from BSS to LTS USA Basic yet.  Email the developer and ask them to check -- might just be a typo.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
Do you have the newest version of Skate Coach?  I haven't updated it from BSS to LTS USA Basic yet.  Email the developer and ask them to check -- might just be a typo.

I just updated it.  Haven't looked it over in detail yet, but I wonder if that particular item is either a typo or a holdover from the previous version.  Maybe I'll email them; they were really responsive before when I found some minor glitches in the Adult 1-6 update last year.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »
They are really good, it's just that they have so many irons in the fire that things get overlooked.  That's probably true of the LTS USA materials, too. 

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »
Not surprising considering the alarming lack of standards in the 6.0 system. USFS hasn't really demonstrated much of an interest in training figure skaters at levels below juvenile.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
I got my stuff today.
It really needs an Adult Learners Manual.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
I got my stuff today.
It really needs an Adult Learners Manual.

How about a Skater's Handbook, with special sections for parents and for adult skaters?

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
How about a Skater's Handbook, with special sections for parents and for adult skaters?
This made me giggle a little because anytime I am looking for information I have to guess whether the information relevant to me, an adult skater, will be under skater (child) or parent. It is the rare instance that useful information is listed under Adult Skater.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
I decided to just photograph the card and keep it on my phone rather than keep it in my wallet. Who's going to want to check it out except the rink and they just want the member number.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
I put my ID cards in a lanyard badge holder but it's just for show.  I put scans of all my ID cards, background check clearance, and insurance info  in one PDF and keep it on my phone and iPad. (Since I emailed it to myself, I can also get it from email.). The lanyard is really just to give me an excuse to show off my trading pins.  ( I acquired a Penguin FSC pin last year!)

I decided to just photograph the card and keep it on my phone rather than keep it in my wallet. Who's going to want to check it out except the rink and they just want the member number.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2016, 07:35:39 AM »
That's a good suggestion: start with the Adult handbook and work your way up.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
I put my ID cards in a lanyard badge holder but it's just for show.  I put scans of all my ID cards, background check clearance, and insurance info  in one PDF and keep it on my phone and iPad. (Since I emailed it to myself, I can also get it from email.). The lanyard is really just to give me an excuse to show off my trading pins.  ( I acquired a Penguin FSC pin last year!)
This is off topic and possibly not info you need. But I recommend having some form or multiple forms of encryption on that PDF. I particularly warn against putting it in any of the free cloud services. If you do put it in the cloud use either another level of encryption or use a lock box like one onepassword's document storage.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my package.  I'm starting to think the registered instructors only get access to the special online portal.

cittiecat - As an IT Director, I get where you're coming from and thank you for your concern.  The pdf is secured/encrypted, but it's overkill.  The information in the pdf is not sensitive nor would the ID open any doors, lol.  We're not talking about security access cards.  Sorry to alarm you.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »
Okay, so I am debating whether I should sign up online or just wait and see what my rink tells me to do. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Figure Spins- Well as an IT Director, I'm sure you've got it, honestly your description of your pdf method made me think my comment may be unnecessary. But I also think its important to think about security in areas we sometimes take for granted :P

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
A couple of questions for someone with access to the instructor manual:
1.  What are "curves" (Basic 1 bonus skill)?
2.  What's the distinction between "beginning backward one foot glides" (Basic 3D) and "backward one foot glides, right and left" (Basic 4E)?  Is there a distance or time specified?
3.  For the Basic 3 bonus skill (forward pivots), does the manual specify the number of revolutions required?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
I teach Adult "Curves" the same way I teach Basic "Slalom."  The descriptions from the instructors manual were close enough:

Quote from: Adult 1 / Forward Curves on Two Feet
Curves: Move forward in and out of 5 to 6 markers that are on the ice. Skate around the markers with both feet parallel and use a slight twisting action of the shoulders against the hips (creating a slalom action).

NB: This doesn't mean arrange multiple sharpie markers on the ice (although that would work!) - they mean some sort of evenly-spaced mark or object.  Many instructors use cones, which is fine.  I draw happy faces with my marker if it's a freestyle session, so it doesn't get in anyone's way.

Quote from: Basic 3 / Forward Slalom
Forward Slalom - Skater should keep their feet parallel as they are curving both directions while using a soft knee action and twisting of the body.

In NJ, I have seen Slalom/Curves taught where the skater uses a one-foot pump to turn into the next curve. I'm not sure if it was a learning drill or outdated skill requirement.  Could have also been from when that instructor learned to teach; a lot of rinks had their own curriculums.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »
I teach Adult "Curves" the same way I teach Basic "Slalom."  The descriptions from the instructors manual were close enough:

NB: This doesn't mean arrange multiple sharpie markers on the ice (although that would work!) - they mean some sort of evenly-spaced mark or object.  Many instructors use cones, which is fine.  I draw happy faces with my marker if it's a freestyle session, so it doesn't get in anyone's way.

In NJ, I have seen Slalom/Curves taught where the skater uses a one-foot pump to turn into the next curve. I'm not sure if it was a learning drill or outdated skill requirement.  Could have also been from when that instructor learned to teach; a lot of rinks had their own curriculums.

Thanks!  Slalom was listed later in the curriculum (Basic 3F/Adult 2C) so I wondered if there was some difference.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
So how do instructors know what the actual standards are?

AFAICT, USFSA now expects even the lowest level instructors to take classes from the PSA. It appears that now they also expect PSA CER-C certification, even at the lowest level of group lesson instructor:

https://usfigureskating.org/content/Copy%20of%20Requirements%20Chart.pdf

That new requirement could seriously hurt our volunteer-taught program. You used to have to register, and pay fees, but certification was optional.

I haven't looked at the most recent PSA LTS training - they may still be puting it together - but PSA has always had very good materials, which are designed in large part to compensate for what is missing from USFSA and ISU materials.

Alas, those of you who aren't referred instructors may be unable to get a hold of PSA materials.

I notice that USFSA now has much more limited info online.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/programs?id=89713&menu=programs

There is no longer a tab there for instructors. Of course that might be because the program is so new...

OTOH, if you have old LTS Instructors' manuals, last season they took out most of the skill descriptions. Prior to last season, they used to have SOME useful skill descriptions. So it would be quite consistent for them to continue the trend, and remove all useful materials.

The merger of ISI and PSA might mean a lot more is moving to the ISI handbook:

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=publications_manuals_ISI_handbook

Has anyone gotten one of these, for 2016? They were supposed to come out June, 2016. Has it been expanded to include some USFSA-specific standards? That would sure be a lot of work to do.

Note that the ISI has a lot of explanations of what is happening here:

http://www.skateisi.com/site/main.cfm?membertype=coaches

E.g., ISI rules aren't changing any time soon. Sounds like it is only USFSA rules that are changing. And that ISI and USFSA will eventually have a unified LTS program.

Can you imagine how much pain and arm twisting was involved in getting two competing bureaucracies to agree to that? These are two organisations that used to openly fight each other. At one point ISI tried to convince the ISU and IOC to disqualify USFSA as the USA's competitive ISU member, and to qualify ISI in their place. It's like the USA and Russia merging into a one friendly nation, but not quite so easy. :)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »
AFAICT, USFSA now expects even the lowest level instructors to take classes from the PSA. It appears that now they also expect PSA CER-C certification, even at the lowest level of group lesson instructor:

Oh wait. I think I'm wrong on that. They describe the certification level, but it doesn't really say you have to have it.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
I'm a card-carrying LTS USA Instructor!

The book contains the lesson plans for each level and skill along with a glossary, teaching tips, and diagrams. These are available on the instructors portal as separate documents.

Back cover is sturdy cardboard (which our mail carrier bent a bit) and the front cover is card stock.  Much better than the lightweight lesson planner from a few years ago. 

My Instructor's packet contained an ID card, Lesson Plan book, a double-sided flyer and a pair of gloves with the logo on them. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »
Are the gloves touch screen compatible?