You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do I need new skates/blades?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline AMskate

• Adult Skating through life
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Do I need new skates/blades?
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »
Hi all!

I only started skating last year as an adult, but progressed quickly through all the beginner stages and have been moved up to the next level - single jumps and more spins etc. I bought Risport Venus last year when I started because I was told they were fine for beginners and to be honest, I didn't think I would be much good on the ice anyway! It came with stock blades but according to my coach they don't have much of a rocker at all (sharpening mishap I think  :sweat ) which makes spinning and turning quite hard. I'm also pretty sure they were sized wrong when I got them, because they feel a bit loose and keep finding myself having to try and tie them tighter and tighter..
I'm sure most of you have been skating a lot longer than I have so might have some advice - when should I start thinking about moving up a level in my boots/blades? I don't want to seem as if I think I'm better than I am (trust me, my bruises speak for themselves  :laugh: ) but I just want to be able to plan ahead if possible!

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Do I need new skates/blades?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
"they feel a bit loose and keep finding myself having to try and tie them tighter and tighter.. "

The answer is yes.  Jumping in loose boots can cause injury.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »
It sounds like you absolutely need new boots, but the comment about not wanting to seem better than you are...are you worried about over booting? If so, I don't think it is too much of an issue, you are working hard on progressing, you deserve a good boot and blade to progress in and keep you safe. I checked the stiffness on the boots you have, they are rated a 20 which, as you said, is beginner, pretty low support. Just for reference, I am also an adult beginner, not nearly as far along as you, but I am plus sized and opted for a pair with support level of about 80. Now my blades are beginner blades, but they are fine for my very basic two foot spins. I would definitely opt for a higher support boot if I were you, and I would check with your coach on the level blade (or maybe someone here has a recommendation on the blade type). Sounds like you are well past a beginner blade.

Offline AMskate

• Adult Skating through life
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks @Nicklaszlo and @EtherealIce, I really appreciate your input and advice! I think new boots are on the cards though. I don't really know what boot to go for, but I'd love the try the Coronation Ace blades - I've heard so many good things about them!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »
The Coronation Ace is a very very good blade.

From a historical perspective, those suggested "boot levels" are a relatively new thing - in the past 20 years or so - and they are just suggestions - I think of it more as a form of advertisement or marketing for the boot-making company.  It's not as though if you get these certain boots of a certain level that you will be capable (or think yourself capable) of doing double jumps, etc.  It is just a way of sorting through what boots you might be interested in getting.

As adults we can choose any boot or blade we want or feel comfortable with.  I have seen adults who wore Gold Seals and absolutely loved them (this is probably considered the "highest level" blade - and others who tried them and hated them.  Same with the Pattern 99, etc.  I looked at a pair of skates a beginner adult at my rink picked up 2nd hand at a skate exchange and they were very nice boots with a Phantom blade (considered high-level freestyle blade) - and she was fine with that blade.

It comes down to personal preference and what you like and can afford!!

So also when I say historical - when I was a kid in the 60s there were two kinds of boots - stock and custom and you either had Harlick, Stanzioni,  Oberhammer or Knibli.  Reidell and SP Teri were the "new boots" - blades were either Gold Seal or Coronation Ace.  Most of the skaters at my rink were in Harlicks but it was probably just a regional thing...