You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tracking progess and goal setting  (Read 2112 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Tracking progess and goal setting
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »
How do you track your progress and goals?  (Aside from testing)

Do you use a binder, app?  How specific do you get?

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline MinnesotaJenn

• Can't wait to learn more!
  • Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Adult skating - loving it!!!
Re: Tracking progess and goal setting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »
Hi rd350.   I use a small magnetic pad of paper on the side of my refrigerator.   Nothing advanced but it's visible and a good reminder and motivator.

Good luck!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
Ha, oops, I meant what do you track and how do you keep track of it?  Do you set goals and break them down?  Etc....

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:43:57 AM »
I actually have several categories of goals mostly broken down into 1) Yearly Goals, 2) Season Goals 3) Daily Goals.  They are all written into my a notebook where I track my training hours, lessons hours, goals and put my practice notes. It is a just the a standard old fashion book. For me the Daily goals are the most important, because they are the foundation of to my tracking progress. My practice goals vary as I progress toward my season and yearly goals. Essentially it goes like this:

Yearly Goal: Land a clean Double Flip in Competition

Seasonal Goal(s): Develop a Consistent Double Flip with 8/10 attempts or greater and a Base Value GOE or greater, Consistently land Double Flip In practice run throughs under the same criteria.

practice goals (might include since I am trying to develop my double flip and have not yet cleanly landed one): Five Clean Single Flips with rotations following the landing focus on the position of the arms and head (Remember that head must always be inline with hand and must be directly infront of your body, pass up). Five Double Attempts (don't rush and follow the same hints as above). I note down how many attempts were of reasonable quality (two footed, stepping out, etct) falls are not considered reasonable attempts and are considered failed attempts. 5 falls, I move on to a different element or back to singles with rotations depending on the day.   In my notebook, after practice I jot down something double Flip 2/5 meaning 2 reasonable attempts 5. As time progresses that becomes 3/5, 4/5, 5/5 and I increase the level of what reasonable means.  You'll see notes such as "clean skate" or 'first clean double loop" in my notebook.

I do this kind of thing for all my elements, but at no point unless coach gives me specific instructions do I repeat more than 5 to 10 attempts of something I am working on without going back to the basics. We use this as a way of breaking my negative thought pattern  when things are not working. It has really helped me to step away from the ice feeling like I at least tried everything a few times.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »
This is great, thanks @physicsonice!