You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: My wish for Weapo  (Read 6196 times)

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 0
My wish for Weapo
« on: February 27, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
I love this team and admire them as people, which is important to me. They are incredibly hard working, serious about their work but not overly serious about themselves. They are a wonderful role model for young skaters. They have had adversity , such as not making 2010 Oly team and not being on the team event in Sochi, not to mention her injury. So, correct me if I wrong but they have won all events they have entered in past 2 years except worlds and the recent 4CC. They have  determination and consistency.

So, my wish for them would be the best possible training conditions  in the next two years. They will be the best and in fact the only people to determine what is best for them. 

I would love to see them come back to Canada to train. Tracy Wilson would be an excellent choice for them, with David Wilson on the team. I would also say Carol and Jon Lane would give them a wonderful base. If they wanted to be in a camp with another top team.

God Bless them and Good luck at World's,  Kaitlyn and Andrew  ! I am  kissing you ;)

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: My wish for Weapo
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »
Can I ask, are you Canadian yourself?

I do wish them well too, they are always more than worth watching.

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
Yes I am Canadian.

I am also a huge Madi and Zac fan . They have improved so much.

Skate Canada really wants all their skaters to have their training base in Canada. And I agree. 18 years ago on this board I said all skaters should be training in their own country, with trips for summer school, etc. Perhaps the skating developing countries may need a extra time in locales other than home. When I said this many/ most people disagreed with me.

Any Canadian skaters will find their fund go much further up here.  Also true for Americans up here training.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
I fully get why people would train wherever gets them the best result.   The Empire Of Skate Canada could indeed try to tempt some skaters over the border,  but for it to stick it would have to be a whole bunch of top skaters and coaches.    Because of network effects.   I can't imagine them ever being able to get the snowball rolling.

And in the end if they're subsidising skaters to train there,  then someone else has to pay for it.   And with Canada as financially screwed as it currently is,  I can't imagine that someone will be the taxpayer.    Maybe they can just try to milk all the low level skaters a bit harder?

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand your comments.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:22 AM »
Sorry, I don't understand your comments.

Nevermind.   The skating is only thing that matters.

Regardless,  WePo's performance at Four Continents was lackluster.   Nothing I'd care to share with my friends, unlike some other teams recently, and the Judges clearly thought so too,  looking at the scores.   If The Shibs and Pap/Ciz stay on form,  WePo are unlikely to see anything better than bronze at Worlds.  But it will be an very interesting competition.

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »
They are ranked number one in the world.

My original post was to highlight the fact that I agree with Skate Canada's position that our skates should be based in Canada and that i would love to see Weapo come back.

It was not in response to results or other teams.

Would it be too obvious and tedious to point out that most of the world seems to come here to train :

Current Olympic Champion trains in Canada with Canadian coaches
Current World Champion trains in Canada with Canadian coaches
Current World Pairs Champions train in Canada with Canadian coaches
Current World Dance Champions train in Canada with Canadian coaches
Former Olympic Ladies Champion trained in Canada with Canadian coaches

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
BUT many, many dancers go to Detroit area to train including Weaver and Poje - so close to Canada.

I don't think it matters where they train...

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »
This topic really needs a new thread , apart from any particular skaters.