You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Advice on my first pair of decent skates!!  (Read 8009 times)

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
Re: Advice on my first pair of decent skates!!
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
I don't know why Jackson thought it was a good idea to make the lower level model (Elle) available in wider fittings than its next higher level model (Freestyle).  Wider feet often mean a larger person is on top of them, and as a general rule a larger person can use a higher level boot than a smaller person at the same skill level.  IMO once Jackson decided not to offer the full width range in both adjacent models, they should have made the Elle in A-C and the Freestyle in B-D.

Best of luck with the Reidells!

I completely agree with your logic! If the Freestyles came in the D width I would have gotten them without question. But the Elle was more expensive than the Classique for features that weren't the most important to me right now, while being less stiff which was important to me.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
Annoys me that you can't get wider then a C or D until you go up to the Premiere. If you or your kid is skating in the basics but are an E width, then you are stuck with boots meant for somebody jumping doubles and triples. They feel like concrete and inhibit learning because they are far too much boot for somebody just beginning their singles. I can't believe my kid is the only one who needs wide boots and that there wouldn't be a market for lower level, softer boots in wider widths.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Annoys me that you can't get wider then a C or D until you go up to the Premiere. If you or your kid is skating in the basics but are an E width, then you are stuck with boots meant for somebody jumping doubles and triples. They feel like concrete and inhibit learning because they are far too much boot for somebody just beginning their singles. I can't believe my kid is the only one who needs wide boots and that there wouldn't be a market for lower level, softer boots in wider widths.

I completely agree. I will say that while otherwise insufficient and poorly sized my current DBX skates fit very comfortable width wise and they were a standard width. However I can barely get my crossovers right in them because they are too long and my balance is way off in them.

I think its a shame especially for people who are still growing because you should be able progress with your skill level and growth when you are younger, rather than jumping several boot levels. Since I'm older, heavier, and my feet are not growing its not a huge issue to boot up cause I can wear them for however long they last and I'm not gonna out grow them.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »
UPDATE: So after finding out that the Riedell Diamond is back ordered until the end of March. I bumped up to the Riedell Stride in the 8 Wide. They were not a perfect fit but after heat molding and getting the pinkie area punched out on the right skate they fit pretty good. The ankle has just enough overlap and in the future if I end up liking how they are on the ice and when I'm ready for my next pair I might get them modified to have a wider tongue. Its definitely going to take some getting used to the tightness and stiffness. .