You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are Kiss and Cry bags worth it?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
Are Kiss and Cry bags worth it?
« on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
I really want one but I don't if its worth the large price tag. I would put a water bottle, my music cd, my notebook, a pen and a small pack of tissues if I was to get it. I skate twice a week and currently have a Zuca bag. So do you I need one? Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives? Thanks!
sk8 obsessed

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Are Kiss and Cry bags worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
I haven't seen these at my rink for a couple of years.

If you're very young and they're popular at your rink, and your parents can afford it, then why not.

It's not something I'd expect an adult to use, but then it's your money. I've seen adults use everything from crafts totes, to toiletry bags that they hang on the netting or the boards with the hook. The coaches tend to use big totes.

And if you don't have your own skates yet, save the money on the tote and get skates. Also if you're expecting to use it on public, don't do it. The ice tourists will just knock it off the boards.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
So they're not that useful? I would have to buy it myself. Also, I have Riedell skates and don't skate public.
sk8 obsessed

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
So they're not that useful? I would have to buy it myself. Also, I have Riedell skates and don't skate public.

Useful is up to you. I can see its uses if you have CDs and sodas, and things you don't want to carry in your pockets, but if you go to the crafts section of Target or Michaels you'll be able to find cheaper totes that might meet your needs.

I will say that the Kiss and Cry Totes are beautifully made, but I bet you can find something cheaper than $45.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
I have one, simply because my rink gave them to all the skaters that attended the end of year banquet one year (I was at work, so I didn't get one). Mom saw them at my first adult comp and asked me what they were and why didn't I have one, I told her the above and she said to go online and find them and she'd buy me one.

I think they are useful, but I also know kids that have craft totes very similar that are more sturdy. These tip easily if you put too much in. I stopped using mine recently because a skater has the same one as me now, and I didn't want to get them confused. I now just use a tote bag and carry my binder with my patterns in the tote, and I'm able to toss in a scarf, extra gloves, and my phone so it doesn't get taken during public and I can leave it on the boards.

Basically, it's useful until you have too much stuff to carry out. But you can find a cheaper alternative and use the remaining money towards lessons.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:53:58 AM »
You can probably find a cheaper alternative, but my dd likes her kiss and cry and finds it very useful because it holds just what she needs. She likes having multiple bags for the rink - one holding off ice items, her zuca for skating gear, and her kiss and cry with a box of tissue, water bottle, lip balm, CDs, ipod, charging cord, hand lotion, and extra hair bands. It fits very nicely on her zuca for walking in and out of the rink with the back strap which a cheaper bag wouldn't be designed to do. Hers has received quite a bit of abuse and has held up really well - her zuca on the other hand is totally shot.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
I have a simple tote for the boards and I love it.  It holds tissues, water, music, extra head warmer (my rink is freezing!) and a cord for the music player. 

The kiss and cry ones are nice looking and well made, but no way I was spending that kind of money on one!  This sport is expensive enough :)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
My kids (10 years old) got them for Christmas from grandma, and so far they are only moderately useful, but much-loved. They keep tissues, CDs, water bottle in them and they hardly ever use the tissues. I think for an adult who actually uses stuff like lip balm etc, it would be nice.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
I've only seen a couple of people with them. Most people just carry their box of tissues / water bottle / etc. and put them on the boards. I'd get a cheap tote and see how much you use it, then if / when it starts to fall apart decide if the kiss & cry is worth getting.

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »
It's handy to have a bag that you can keep rinkside, but not essential.

I got my daughter a very cute canvas tote with an owl on it at the Container Store for Christmas a couple of years ago. It has pockets on the side that we use for holding her music cd and the rink music key. She loves it and we never have to worry about mixing it up with someone else's bag. And as a bonus, it was under $15.