You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Looking for skates  (Read 5060 times)

Offline asolo

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Looking for skates
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »
Hi,

I have been skating on and off a few times a year and finally decided it's time to get my own skates instead of using rentals. My daughter seems to like skating, I like coaching a little and mostly I just have a ton of fun on ice.

The problem is, I live in Boulder, Colorado and there does not seem to be any real ice skates shops around. I am looking for size 9 mens skates. There are obviously no used ones and even Amazon comes up sort of empty handed. I'd take used ones or even women's, as long as they fit and I like the blades.

A couple of complications are:

1. I have super wide feet. The Jackson's size guide tells me I have to be one size up for even EE width (the widest available) to fit. My feet 10 3/4 inch long, 4 inch wide. I also have very high arches.

2. The blades I like tend to be in more advanced category (I like significant rocker and pronounced pick).

3. I don't really want to spend a fortune. A couple of hundred budget seems fair.

I found "Jackson Figure Skates Marquis Mens JS1992" at a few places on the Internet but I suspect that with my wide feet I'd need to go to size 11 instead of 8 1/2 that Jackson otherwise recommends. And, it would take 3 pairs to ship and return before I get to the right size.

A word on my skating history. I used to skate seriously as a kid. When I quit at 13 I was jumping all doubles and starting triples. Trained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yubileyny_Sports_Palace. These days 30+ years later, all I can do is glade and maybe a waltz and a salchow on a good day. Yet, I would like to improve and see where I can get.

Any advice on buying skates would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Re: Looking for skates
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
I'd call around in Denver.  There's a skate shop in Littleton at South Suburban ice rink called Skater's Edge.  There are probably a few others as well.

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
Hi
Admittedly I know nothing about Colorado but a couple things come to mind:

1. So maybe you knew this already (maybe you skate here?) it seems in Boulder, the University has a rink and a skate shop (unclear if it is any good, but at least it's nearby):
http://www.colorado.edu/recreation/facilities/student-recreation-center/ice-rink
telephone 303-492-7255

2. If you're willing to drive to Denver this shop claims to carry all kinds of brands (Riedell, Jackson, Edea, Harlick) and maybe they could fit you?
http://www.skatersedge.co/index.php?s=87

3. If all else fails and you're willing to drive as far as Colorado Springs, there must be great service there because of the Broadmoor Skating Club

4. Put in a search in ebay and sit back and see what comes up? 

Good luck!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »
Unfortunately, for $200 and down, the skates you find will be designed more for a beginner who is child sized instead of a full grown adult, so lack of support might be an issue.  Also, tbh, the stock blades on these skates aren't going to have the larger toe pick you're looking for.

I'd try ebay if you haven't already, or even a used sporting goods store.

Offline asolo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:22:33 AM »
Unfortunately, for $200 and down, the skates you find will be designed more for a beginner who is child sized instead of a full grown adult, so lack of support might be an issue.  Also, tbh, the stock blades on these skates aren't going to have the larger toe pick you're looking for.

I'd try ebay if you haven't already, or even a used sporting goods store.

Tried Ebay, tried used sporting goods stores... I suspect Jackson sells about 3 pairs a year of men's size 9 skates in all of the US, so not a chance :) My 10-year old daughter, no problem, I got a great pair of used GAM skates for $40. Mens? Not a single pair.

The blade on these is "Mark IV blade" or "Mirage", looks a okay on the Internet pictures:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/jackson-figure-skate-marquis-mens-skates.html

I wonder if the steel is good? I remember we used to sharpen Soviet skates about once a month, but the "English" ones (probably Wilson) had to be sharpened once in 6 months.

I was considering visiting that shop in Centennial (an hour+ drive for me in ideal conditions), but I suspect they would not be interested in somebody willing to spend a $200 on a pair of stock skates. I am sure they'd be happy to do a custom boot and blades if I were willing to spend a thousand plus.

I guess there's not a life hack to get a medium grade figure skates easily, huh...

Besides, I am not even so sure these folks in Centennial even know anything about figure skates. I am sure they are fine for hockey.

Any first hand experience with shops in Colorado Springs? If I am driving to south Denver might just as well drive there... Thanks!

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:07 AM »
This is more than you were looking to spend(and just the boot at that) but look at the measurements on these custom klingbeils:

http://www.myskatingmall.com/category/232/Figure-Skating-Boots/listings/4152/BLACK-KLINGBEIL-BOOTS.html

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »
I didn't know Russia made blades. Do they make boots too? Do you have links for either?

Jackson is a good company, but Mark IV are beginner level blades:

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=VLrDP7VJmBWQSIPAKIyVdw1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

So, based on what you say, I think you would find them frustrating. You probably have to roll forwards farther to reach the toe pick than what you were used to. And the steel probably isn't very durable.

Ask around for used boots too. For example, craigslist. And many figure and hockey skating clubs are good resources for finding used figure skates.

The theory has been that if you aren't now in good physical shape, with appropriate strong muscles to bend the skates, you shouldn't be using high end (stiff) skates. There are many warnings of potential medical problems if you violate that. Maybe you don't need ultra high level skates, until you get back into shape? Maybe you can start with rentals? (Though rentals wouldn't look impressive on a coach.)

Boulder is an incredible place to ski. Lots of exercise, especially if you go cross country, to get you back into shape and get practice edging your feet. When the snow is gone, you can skate. I was only there in the winter, but I think there is good hiking around there too, and I knew someone from there who did white water kayaking near there, too. But when I visited there, a fair number of years ago, there wasn't much social dance or ballroom outside the university. How is the dance scene now?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
I was considering visiting that shop in Centennial (an hour+ drive for me in ideal conditions), but I suspect they would not be interested in somebody willing to spend a $200 on a pair of stock skates. I am sure they'd be happy to do a custom boot and blades if I were willing to spend a thousand plus.

Please don't talk yourself out of visiting a pro shop because you feel they might not value you as a customer - trust me when I say that they will (or at least, they should).  A GOOD shop really wants to get you in the door as a $200 skate set customer, because that will have you going back to them when it's time for higher level skates (and the markup on higher level boots/blades is not honestly substantially better than some of the entry level sets - I think skate shops may even make more on many of those than they do the higher end stuff).  To suggest that you're not worth their time is just silly - as a paying customer, you should be able to get the same service no matter what your budget is :)

I think you'd probably need "more" than the $200 skate set range, but if you are just wanting something to get back on the ice with and see if it's something you'll stick with, that may be an okay place to start, but it may not prove to be a wise long-term solution if you intend to skate and build your skills back up.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
I am not sure I understand what the problem is:

You're a coach (skating coach?) and need some skates?  Have you been to the pro shop yet to see what they offer? Any pro shop? 

I have known pro shop people to be very attentive to new customers and try to find them exactly what they need - and you never know you might be able to find some used skates - or at least a used pair of blades - have you tried ebay?

I doubt that you will have to spend "thousands of dollars" - even for custom skates and high end blades - those Mark IV are pretty low-level - not sure how much they are - but a Coronation Ace or MK Professional will run you a little more than $200 - if you want a high-end blade like a Gold Seal - well that is more in the $600 range.

Is size 9 unusual for a man?  I have a friend - a man - who probably wears about a 7 - he was able to buy a used skate in Canada - a former competitor's skates and he is very happy with them - so they are out there - you just have to look!

Offline asolo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:02:33 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, I am not a "coach". I just go skating with my daughter and hope I can teach her to skate.

I got tired of using rentals, since every time it takes half the skating time to get used to a new rental pair. Sometimes rentals are just completely dull, sometimes the place we go to even runs out of my size and I have to wear size 12 instead of 9 :) The plastic boots are the worst!

I don't really know that I need a "professional" pair of skates.

I was a pro when I was a kid (some of my peers became the champions of the early 1990-ies), but now I just enjoy skating and I think a slightly more aggressive skates would be fun. I sort of remember what my skates looked and felt like, so I have been looking for something that looks similar.

Really, I just need a pair of skates that fits and I don't have to get used to all over again every Sunday.

I am not sure I understand what the problem is:

You're a coach (skating coach?) and need some skates?  Have you been to the pro shop yet to see what they offer? Any pro shop? 

I have known pro shop people to be very attentive to new customers and try to find them exactly what they need - and you never know you might be able to find some used skates - or at least a used pair of blades - have you tried ebay?

I doubt that you will have to spend "thousands of dollars" - even for custom skates and high end blades - those Mark IV are pretty low-level - not sure how much they are - but a Coronation Ace or MK Professional will run you a little more than $200 - if you want a high-end blade like a Gold Seal - well that is more in the $600 range.

Is size 9 unusual for a man?  I have a friend - a man - who probably wears about a 7 - he was able to buy a used skate in Canada - a former competitor's skates and he is very happy with them - so they are out there - you just have to look!

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:17:23 AM »

If all you want to do is tool around with your child and have a little fun, consider the Jackson softec elite skate for $179.  My husband has these, and uses them for tooling around with his skater daughter.  They have the Mark IV blade, which is an entry level freestyle blade that holds an edge fine and has decent toepicks.  They are much stronger than the regular softtecs, and support his 6 ft frame fine.  Much stronger than a Marquis. In comparing them to my girl's skates, I'd estimate them to be a stiffness of 40.

If you order them through Amazon you can do free returns to get the size right (or if you don't like them).  My husband wears a 9.5/10 shoe and wears this skate in size 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Softec-Jackson-ST3902-Thinsulate-Recreational/dp/B008MORKGS

Offline asolo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:30:43 AM »
Thanks for your support. These Mark IV blades just sort of looked more like what I remember having as a kid, so I figured eh, good enough. BTW, I found a picture, attached of what I had as a kid. The boots were really bad, you had to glue in stiff leather inserts before for any use.

Note the bolted blade: the idea was that one would change the blade to a different one for the "compulsory figures" (everybody just had a separate pair of skates, dull and with a huge rocker).

I am in decent shape, except the usual: achillies, little planar fasciatis, etc, but that's the price of running a lot. Should be no problem there.

I tried to ski, but I get quickly bored with downhill and, besides, pretty much priced out of marked with the lift ticket prices the way they are. Everything else, outdoor related I do :) Figure skating is so much more fun and so cheap and easy! I have 3 rinks within 30 minutes of my house and for $8 I can get literally drunk on endorphins. Besides, I get to properly impress my kids with "mad skillz". Can't jump or spin, but the nice glade was beat into me by my mom and coaches for eternity :)

I have a few friends who do or used to dance, like salsa or... something modern, I forget. I am not into dance, always used to get kicked out of the choreography classes :) For some reason they made us do these silly French ballet poses a couple of times a week.

P.S.  What do people think of wearing a helmet? As a kid, I remember just hitting the back of my head on ice hundreds of times. I make my kids wear helmets. What about adults? Getting a concussion would be bad.

I didn't know Russia made blades. Do they make boots too? Do you have links for either?

Jackson is a good company, but Mark IV are beginner level blades:

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=VLrDP7VJmBWQSIPAKIyVdw1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

So, based on what you say, I think you would find them frustrating. You probably have to roll forwards farther to reach the toe pick than what you were used to. And the steel probably isn't very durable.

Ask around for used boots too. For example, craigslist. And many figure and hockey skating clubs are good resources for finding used figure skates.

The theory has been that if you aren't now in good physical shape, with appropriate strong muscles to bend the skates, you shouldn't be using high end (stiff) skates. There are many warnings of potential medical problems if you violate that. Maybe you don't need ultra high level skates, until you get back into shape? Maybe you can start with rentals? (Though rentals wouldn't look impressive on a coach.)

Boulder is an incredible place to ski. Lots of exercise, especially if you go cross country, to get you back into shape and get practice edging your feet. When the snow is gone, you can skate. I was only there in the winter, but I think there is good hiking around there too, and I knew someone from there who did white water kayaking near there, too. But when I visited there, a fair number of years ago, there wasn't much social dance or ballroom outside the university. How is the dance scene now?

Offline asolo

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:16 AM »
Thanks! I think the blade is fine, but I'd rather use a leather and laced boot. The synthetics are heavier and have more thickness which gets in the way a bit in my experience.

I have Amazon Prime, but I think these days the return shipping is not free anymore (I had to pay return shipping recently).

There are no skates I could find on Amazon with the blades you show and leather boot that are available with Prime. Just one seller, non prime, some sports shop:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Ultima-Marquis-JS1992-Medium/dp/B0055QF5L8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My general approach is that if you can't find something within 3 minutes on Amazon with Prime, it's a unicorn. That's why I started the thread here.

I did foot measurements according to Jackson's guide and found that I need an "EE" width ("wider than wide") and even with EE I have to go a size up to get the right width.

So, I figure trying to order an "M" (medium) width boot would be a waste of time. This link on Amazon is an "M" only. I'd have to start with a 9 and go to 12 before it fits. Been there, done that with mountaineering footwear.

What I need is either a proper fitting, or a wide selection of boots, so I can try many pairs in a short period. Does not work so well with Amazon.

Interesting, what is this stiffness rating? I am 5'9" and 152 lb. I am fine in pretty much any boot I tried, stiffness wise. If it's too stiff, I'll just suffer for a month or two and break them in?

If all you want to do is tool around with your child and have a little fun, consider the Jackson softec elite skate for $179.  My husband has these, and uses them for tooling around with his skater daughter.  They have the Mark IV blade, which is an entry level freestyle blade that holds an edge fine and has decent toepicks.  They are much stronger than the regular softtecs, and support his 6 ft frame fine.  Much stronger than a Marquis. In comparing them to my girl's skates, I'd estimate them to be a stiffness of 40.

If you order them through Amazon you can do free returns to get the size right (or if you don't like them).  My husband wears a 9.5/10 shoe and wears this skate in size 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Softec-Jackson-ST3902-Thinsulate-Recreational/dp/B008MORKGS

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
If you don't want to jump, you don't need super-stiff boots. Stiffness ratings generally apply to high level freestyle boots.

As far as "compulsory figures", that is a real specialty now that it isn't required - no one I know of makes such blades anymore. There was a thread on this forum about that, and Jaya Kanal put a video interview with a skate sharpener on how to sharpen current blades to more or less imitate the older school figures blades, which had no toe picks, sometimes no hollow and different rocker (I think), and were wider than current blades.

Don't be so down on yourself. Unlike many of us, you used to be a real athlete. You can probably do at least small jumps and spins again, with a little practice. It doesn't take much to impress most public skaters. But impressing your kids is another matter. From what I can tell, they rapidly become unimpressed with their parents.  :)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »
Stiffness ratings generally apply to high level freestyle boots.

But impressing your kids is another matter. From what I can tell, they rapidly become unimpressed with their parents.  :)

Jackson has a stiffness rating on all their skates, not just the high level ones.

Both of my daughters went through the "not impressed" stages. They didn't see me skate for a year and were actually impressed with how much I had improved. Most kids go though it, but come back to being impressed about the same time they realize that parents aren't as dumb/uncool as they thought either. Usually around the time grandkids start arriving.  ;D
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
I have no experience of skating shops etc. in Colorado so can't provide specific recommendations, however there is no substitute for a good fitter and many of us on here have no choice but to take weekend trips to get to one. I'd suggest calling the store and explaining your requirements, approximate measurements, etc. and asking if they can ensure they have some options for you to try when you go in. I'd certainly be wary of a store that wasn't interested in selling a $200 pair of skates - the ones I have been to have been more focused on value for money than selling the most expensive option, and I have seen them talking parents down from more expensive models.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »
If you are not planning on jumping and you want to get a nice stroke out of the blade, I have Wilson Comets - an excellent stainless steel blade with an 8.5' rocker so stroking and gliding are really supported by this rocker. They have a very nice connection with the ice. Not to say you can't jump but if jumping were your thing a 7' rocker might be more helpful. They are not cheap blades (Wilson is a top notch English manufacturer) but I have found new ones on ebay at quite a discount. Love them. It's probably just me but I would never buy someone else's boots (I want to break them in to my feet) or blades (I'm super picky about whose allowed to touch my Wilson blades to sharpen them - no teenagers who only understand hockey gear) but there are places where you can get great new equipment at less than retail.