You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Could a change in ROH make it easier for blades to rust?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
Could a change in ROH make it easier for blades to rust?
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have owned my skates for about four months now and I am meticulous with them and their care. I spend a ton of time drying them and then always have soakers on them after. I have never had an issue with rust. Two days ago I was talking with my coach about trying a different ROH ( I was using 7/16 and now I'm 3/8). I got them sharpened to 3/8 and I absolutely LOVED skating on them today, I have so much more edge control! My question/ concern is when I was drying my skates I noticed little specks of rust towards the back of the blade in the hollow. Could there be a connection between my change in ROH and the likelihood of my blades rusting? How should I remove the rust and care for them in this case?

I appreciate any feedback and opinions. I have been reading the other threads and I have seen wd 40 and polishing stones as recommendations- I'm just not sure how to best prevent this because up until now I had it under control.

Thanks!

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Could a change in ROH make it easier for blades to rust?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
The ROH should have no effect on rust formation. When they were sharpened, grinding removes all traces of oils, and that exposes new, clean metal to oxygen and moisture. I'd try a little WD40 or other oil on the blades to keep them from rusting.

I also would suggest taking them OUT of the soakers when storing them. I've discovered that soakers + storage for longer periods of time = rust. I had some blades in soakers rust over the summer so badly that when I stepped on the ice, it was like having the parking brakes on. I left brown tracks on the ice for 10 yards. That surprised me, so I began taking the soakers OFF for storage. Now I don't have anything contacting the blades when they are stored, and have had zero problems with blade rust.

If it will be a few weeks between skating opportunities, I will always wipe the blade hollow with oil. I spritz a little on a paper towel, and wipe the edge.
Bill Schneider

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »
I agree with Bill S. 100%.  I got my daughter (and myself) in the habit of taking the soakers off when we get home from skating.  They are good for transporting but not great for storage.  We have never had any rust issues in 2+ years.

I also do as Bill mentioned and put a thin layer of either WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil on the blades if they will be unused for more than a week just for good measure.

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I've always stored them with the soakers on and had no problems. Strange that right after this most recent sharpening it started happening. I am for sure going to take the soakers off when I get home and let them dry in the open. I applied some wd40 in hopes of getting the rust off but it didn't really work out. They're just light "speckles" in the hollow towards the very back of each blade so it's really a cosmetic thing at this point. Hopefully it can come off in future sharpenings or with time. My biggest concern is their functionality and I think they'll be fine  :)

Thanks again!