You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rink Closure Advice  (Read 4332 times)

Offline joeyb72

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Rink Closure Advice
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
Our lovely, warm, homey rink is closing this weekend.  We fought the good fight, but I believe it will not reopen.  Anyway, we are going to a new rink and my daughter's coach will be guest coaching there for now.  I'm not sure how long she will stay doing this, but there is a possibility that she will go to another rink further away for a permanent job.  If this happens, I would like to know if you have any good advice for finding a new coach.  My daughter is Freestyle 2 and is 12 years old.  She is serious about competing, but knows her limits due to age, etc.  She just wants to go as far as she can.  I signed her up for a group class and power stroking at the new rink.  I am worried because we are coming from a mom and pop rink to a corporate, very competitive rink.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: Rink Closure Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
Your daughter is the same age and level as my daughter was when she decided to skate more (she was taking lessons fall/winter  and playing soccer in the spring/summer). She was taking group lessons and we just got lucky in that her coach was a good fit. She stayed with her for 6 yrs until she graduated HS. She continued to take group lessons and ice dance class. Eventually had a dance coach and also a supplemental secondary coach in addition to her main coach.

Taking the group and power classes are not only great for your daughter, but a good way to see what coaches she clicks with. It will also help her connect with other skaters. If her coach leaves for another rink and you don't want to go, you can tell current coach driving that far won't work for you and ask the coach to recommend a couple coaches. Do a couple trial lessons with each. Then pick the one that your daughter feels most comfortable and confident with. Also ask what the coaches policies are for payments, competition and test fees, music cutting, and missed lessons.

Good luck! Hope your daughter has a fabulous experience skating.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
I'm at the same rink and facing the same situation (although I am an adult skater).  I have gotten suggestions for coaches at the new rink from coaches at my rink who know me and know some of the coaches at the new rink.  I have set up my first trial lesson with a coach at the new rink and plan to set up trial lessons with two other coaches there, too.  It's hard losing my rink home of 22 years and all of us are having a tough, sad week . . . :(

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
Always sad when a rink closes.  I'm so sad for you  :'( :'( :'( :'( :sad: :sad: :sad: :nopts:
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
Even though I only competed there, I'm still going to miss that rink. Anyway, I think you have a great start. The group class and power stroking will give you exposure to other coaches, and if your coach should switch rinks, you will have an idea of who your daughter might work well with. Combine that with recommendations from the current coach, set up a couple of trial lessons and see if your daughter and those coaches click.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
Sorry - it is sad to lose a rink.  Strange to shut down with the Olympics next month - usually gives a boost.

Best advice - schedule 2-3 trial lessons with new coaches to see if there's chemistry.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
So sorry your rink is closing.  That is a total bummer.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Yes, January of a Winter Olympics year is always when ice rinks get their huge influx of new skaters.  Sadly, the owner of the land couldn't care less because he just doesn't want it to be an ice rink anymore.  He wants to make more money off the land turning into something else.   :-\

Offline joeyb72

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
Thanks for all the support. Tomorrow is the last Theater on Ice performance. Going to be a difficult one   :'(