You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Reidell Eclipse Titanium (Forum Newbie)  (Read 6260 times)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Reidell Eclipse Titanium (Forum Newbie)
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:45:13 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as well as new to figure skating. I'm considered a recreational skater because I haven't tested yet. I do love skating so much that I've improved quickly I'm currently stabilizing all my singles, haven't started on the Axel, as I don't have a coach yet. However my partner is a intermediate skater and I learn from him as well.  I have been currently skating for one year I could say I'm in freestyle 3. It's time for me to get new boot and blades. This would be my first actual boot and blade purchase. The current one are recreational both boot and blade. Me and my partner have been searching around and have been really curious about the eclipse titanium blades, they are the lightest blades that we fit into because unfortunately ultima matrix and paramount don't make them past size 11. The eclipse titanium do. I'm aware that they are the infinity model and pinnacle (pattern 99 &  gold seal equivalent). Does anyone have any experience with the titanium model, iv read on here a lot of people like the infinity blade regular carbon steel.
Feedback is greatly appreciated.  ;D

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Reidell Eclipse Titanium (Forum Newbie)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
They are priced near the top end of figure skates, unless you count Revolution blades, which don't go past size 11 either:

http://www.edgeskateshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=48_81
  http://www.tripletoeskatewear.com/brands/Eclipse.html

I thought the whole point of Reidell blades was low cost?

Most dealers don't even list the blades yet. So you could be a guinea pig for a new product. So don't expect a lot of reviews from experienced skaters. At that price, I hope nothing goes wrong, with the product itself, or how you feel about it. It's likely to be a big jump from a recreational blade.

If you get it, tell us how it works out.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
I was afraid of that considering that I found little to none information from skater experience themselves.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
Blade "weight" honestly makes VERY little difference to the average skater.  It might make some difference for someone doing triples (less weight to pull in quickly for rotation) but most skaters won't reallysee the benefit of it.  I do skate in "lightweight" blades and to be perfectly honest, the weight isn't why I prefer them (I could care less) it's the runner material that has me sold on them.  Stainless runners glide with less resistance, so that is something most skaters notice right away - some love it, while others just can't get used to it.

All things considered, at your level and given the fact that you are not yet working with a coach, I'd recommend against a top level blade of any variety - at most you want to be looking at something along the lines of the Coronation Ace or Professional.  There is such a thing as buying "too much" blade for your level, and it's not going to automatically help you skate better by buying a top end blade.  It is a similar story with boots - buying too much isn't helpful, you need to be properly matched with a boot appropriate for your build and ability.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:17:44 AM »
I was thinking that too about the over blade but they told me that since I'm a heavier than the average skater to get the strongest blade possible. The eclipse titanium claim to be certain times more stronger than aluminum. I also currently skate on 7' rocker and IV tried my partner's p99 8' rocker and I think I like it more. How bad is it really to "over blade"?  To over boot I completely understand because of the stiffness of the boot.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
Happy new years everyone

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:25:22 AM »
Oh and I missed one thing as well. To my knowledge, Sarah please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the eclipse titanium is the only blade that carries stainless steel runner in a size bigger than 11. My luck that my blade size is 11 1/4. I really want the stainless steel runners.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
Blade size is definitely an issue - if you need an 11 1/4, then you don't have a lot of options to start with.  If money isn't a concern, then I think at this point you can get what you like, especially if you've already tried the Pattern 99s and liked them.  Necessary, no, but your choices are limited!   ;)

If you're not used to a severe rocker I'd stay away from the Gold Seals or equivalent.  I know a few adult skaters with that blade who can't seem to stay off their toe picks!  It can be too much blade!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Blade size is definitely an issue - if you need an 11 1/4, then you don't have a lot of options to start with.  If money isn't a concern, then I think at this point you can get what you like, especially if you've already tried the Pattern 99s and liked them.  Necessary, no, but your choices are limited!   ;)

If you're not used to a severe rocker I'd stay away from the Gold Seals or equivalent.  I know a few adult skaters with that blade who can't seem to stay off their toe picks!  It can be too much blade!

The Pattern 99 is flatter with that 8 foot rocker - but any new blade may have you pitching forward onto your picks at first until you find the rocker balance point - those Pattern 99s you tried will not be exactly like a new blade because the rocker tends to get flattened with sharpenings over time.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »

The Pattern 99 is flatter with that 8 foot rocker - but any new blade may have you pitching forward onto your picks at first until you find the rocker balance point - those Pattern 99s you tried will not be exactly like a new blade because the rocker tends to get flattened with sharpenings over time.

The pattern 99s that I tried are definitely old and are most likely flatter than new ones. I currently skate on eclipse Astra blades and I think they are too flat for my taste the "sweet spot" is virtually non existent for me until I tried the pattern. So much better. Also the toe pics feel much more secure on the pattern 99 than the eclipse I own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
I was thinking that too about the over blade but they told me that since I'm a heavier than the average skater to get the strongest blade possible.

We don't know how much heavier than average, but I wonder if your fitter isn't just trying to make extra money from you. The same blades are used for male and female skaters. I personally suspect that any reasonably good quality blade can take someone up to 250 or 300 pounds without much problem. But if you have any doubts, call Reidell. (see http://www.riedellskates.com/Content.aspx?PageName=Contact) Last I tried, they were happy to give advice.

What I meant to imply by saying it is a big jump to go to a top end blade from a rec blade are things like this: you may find it too easy to accidentally reach your toe pick, when you only mean to glide or do turns. Some high end blades are designed to make that transition occur with a very small angular change, which means you have to have very fine motor control.

FS3 after just one year? You are making great progress. :stars: Do you have prior athletic experience, like gymnastics or dance?

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »

We don't know how much heavier than average, but I wonder if your fitter isn't just trying to make extra money from you. The same blades are used for male and female skaters. I personally suspect that any reasonably good quality blade can take someone up to 250 or 300 pounds without much problem. But if you have any doubts, call Reidell. (see http://www.riedellskates.com/Content.aspx?PageName=Contact) Last I tried, they were happy to give advice.

What I meant to imply by saying it is a big jump to go to a top end blade from a rec blade are things like this: you may find it too easy to accidentally reach your toe pick, when you only mean to glide or do turns. Some high end blades are designed to make that transition occur with a very small angular change, which means you have to have very fine motor control.

FS3 after just one year? You are making great progress. :stars: Do you have prior athletic experience, like gymnastics or dance?

It's a shame that they don't make intermediate blades with stainless steel metal. I guess I'll have to do with carbon steel until I get better. Can someone tell me what is the pattern 99 equivalent to a intermediate blade?  I don't have any prolonged prior athletic experience but I did do dance for 2 years.I make a year of skating in April. My DH got me bit by the skating bug. Took skating obsessively for about 5 months  skated 4 hours everyday every morning,  and then eventually  since my body can't keep up with my obsession hurt my ankle then I started skating like a normal person 2 hours a day max. Lol so yeah thank you query for the advice hopefully you could help me out with the question I asked prior in this message. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
>It's a shame that they don't make intermediate blades with stainless steel metal.

They do. Most of the Jackson Ultima blades use a strong stainless steel.

Any decent cheap high carbon steel can be made quite hard. "Stainless" (rust resistant) isn't always particularly strong.

For that matter, most of the blade shouldn't be too strong (which means brittle). Ideally, only the edge is hard - and even that is only about hardness level 60. For steel blades, flexibility, rather than ultimate hardness, is what helps a blade take jump landings without breaking.

When it comes to skate blades, a lot of blades over $100 or so are made of a good steel. Certainly by the $200 level, like MK Pro.

If I could find a reasonably priced stainless steel blade whose shape I liked, I would choose that - because stainless steel, like the re-hardened edge, requires less frequent sharpening. But for the moment, I have stayed with a good high carbon steel blade, plated (except for the bottom-most part, where the plating has been ground away to expose the hardened steel). So have a lot of - maybe most - skaters far better than me, as that describes most MK and Wilson blades.

MK/Wilson start with a fully hardened steel, cut it to shape, soften ["temper"] it, sharpen it, then partially re-harden the edge. At some point in the process [details are a trade secret] they plate it with nickel, then chrome on the most expensive blades [because it's shinier], and grind away the bottom plating. It is possible that most Reidell blades are made the same way.

Unconfirmed info is that MK/Wilson's more expensive "Revolution" blades are made of a titanium/steel stainless steel alloy, then plated for additional rust-resistance with titanium. And that Ultima blades are made of a chromium/steel stainless steel alloy, then plated with a hardened nickel alloy. But it all cases, the tempering/edge-rehardening cycle is the heart of any decent blade making process. Not just for skates, but for many good knives.

Anyway, we don't know your weight, but, since many skaters doing triples and quads get away with good steel blades, it is quite likely that you can you can too.