You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Safe knee pads  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Skating Safe knee pads
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the other thread on protection...

For those of you wearing the Skating Safe knee pads, how are you keeping them on?  I'm usually just sporting some basic leggings at the rink (no tights... it's warm), and I'm curious if that would be enough to keep them in place, or if I'd need to get a retention sleeve (or make one... I've got chubby knees.)

Those shattered kneecap stories are making me nervous!   :-\

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skating Safe knee pads
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Here and here are my previous takes on the topic :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Damp them, stick them on bare skin, pull tights and then leggings on. Done.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
I could not figure out a way to make them stay and just mailed them back today.  I purchased the sleeves to keep them in place but they were so tight my circulation was being compromised.  I toyed with the idea of buying knee "braces" from the pharmacy but did not want to spend the additional money if it wasn't going to work.  The gentleman with whom I spoke at Skating Safe told me the sleeves are cut for a man's leg and a woman's leg is typically larger above the knee.  That being the case it would've been nice if the web site had included that information before I made the purchase since the sleeves (Clear Cloud) are not returnable.  The idea of thin pads was appealing and I went with them based on what I read on this forum.  Since this did not work well for me I've gotten volleyball knee pads which are working great.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
I could not figure out a way to make them stay and just mailed them back today.  I purchased the sleeves to keep them in place but they were so tight my circulation was being compromised.  I toyed with the idea of buying knee "braces" from the pharmacy but did not want to spend the additional money if it wasn't going to work.  The gentleman with whom I spoke at Skating Safe told me the sleeves are cut for a man's leg and a woman's leg is typically larger above the knee.  That being the case it would've been nice if the web site had included that information before I made the purchase since the sleeves (Clear Cloud) are not returnable.  The idea of thin pads was appealing and I went with them based on what I read on this forum.  Since this did not work well for me I've gotten volleyball knee pads which are working great.

I wear capri tights under my slacks and just slip the pads under the capris. You can buy capri tights just about anywhere.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
I wear capri tights under my slacks and just slip the pads under the capris. You can buy capri tights just about anywhere.

Sadly this did not work for me. For the price I didn't really feel like struggling with trying to find the right combination of factors to make them stay in place. The volleyball knee pads were much, much less expensive and do the job nicely :)

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Aw, it's too bad you didn't find the right solution. I did not like the gel pads with tights either -- they kept slipping and I felt like I was tugging them up constantly. I also wasted money on the sleeves, which feel like they would fit my elbows much better than my knees!

What I ended up doing was taking an Ace bandage (cheap, from the drugstore) and cutting it in half. I wrap it around the gel pad and use the fasteners they came with, and it stays put without adding much bulk. (I bought a pack of backup fasteners from Amazon too, just for this purpose. They do last a while though.) This has been working for me for over a year. If you ever decide you want to give them another try (or want a slimmer solution) maybe this will work for you.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, sarahonice.  If I ever try them again I will keep your idea in mind.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »
Before I bought the SkatingSafe pads (which I, too, wear under tights with leggings over), I considered buying the Bun Heads knee pads.  Check them out.  http://www.allaboutdance.com/dance-clothing/product-view/style_BH1651.html?

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
Sadly this did not work for me. For the price I didn't really feel like struggling with trying to find the right combination of factors to make them stay in place. The volleyball knee pads were much, much less expensive and do the job nicely :)

the volleyball pads are more likely to get in the way as they are worn outside (I used rollerblading pads before). gel pads never interfered with movement here.

Capri for me was an immediate success :) much more comfortable and secure compared to retainer sleeves. I had to get stretchy polyester + spandex Capri pants, not nylon tights though. it also stays in place the best to wear leggings outside, instead of loose pants.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
I wear it against bare skin, add my tights and then my skating pants.  They stay no problem for me.   The biggest issue I have is that I drip with sweat where I have it placed.  So gross.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
I wear it against bare skin, add my tights and then my skating pants.  They stay no problem for me.   The biggest issue I have is that I drip with sweat where I have it placed.  So gross.

Really didn't think about the sweat part.  I might need to consider some of the DIY options.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
sweat is not much of a problem for me. yes the pads become sweaty, I just wipe them when I get home and air dry with everything else.