You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Taking tests in two different systems/countries  (Read 1850 times)

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
  • Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
Taking tests in two different systems/countries
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
Several posters have said that testing both USFS and ISI has its benefits (MITF for one, different skills in the other, variety, goals, etc.), but has anyone done both Skate Canada and USFS tests? I'm thinking of doing the adult tests at some point, perhaps starting next year if I can afford to go to the Lake Placid Adult week. For one thing, while I'm far from the SC gold freestyle test, I feel like the USFS Adult gold freestyle is feasible, but are there any other advantages to doing both, fo example in terms of coaching resumes and such? I know I'd have to work my way up from pre-bronze MITF, but it seems like something easy and fun to work on since I've plateau'd in terms of freestyle :sweat (basically all singles up to working on the Axel, and basic spins and working on a flying camel).

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Taking tests in two different systems/countries
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
You know that one of Axel, double Salchow or double toe loop is required on the US Adult Gold FS test, right?  I saw a test which was absolutely marvelous from a second mark perspective get a retry because the major hurdle element was 2 footed (skater was doing Axel).

Otherwise, I don't see why not give it a go.

Offline DrillingSkills

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
You know that one of Axel, double Salchow or double toe loop is required on the US Adult Gold FS test, right?  I saw a test which was absolutely marvelous from a second mark perspective get a retry because the major hurdle element was 2 footed (skater was doing Axel).

True... hopefully, by focusing on just the Axel and not all 3 (required for the next SC freestyle test for me), it'll be less daunting and I'll feel closer to achieving a goal. It sounds weird, but telling myself the Axel is the "only" thing standing between me and that test is more motivating than thinking about the Axel, double sal and double toe needed for SC senior bronze. I guess I'll aim for the LP adult week next summer and go from there :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
Can I offer you some hope?  Check the test sheet for the SB FS test. You don't have to pass ALL of those!  You can fail up to 2 elements on the test (as long as you pass the stroking).  I think I plotted once how you can get all the way to the SC Gold FS test without ever successfully landing an axel.

The other nice-ish thing is that the program requirements on the Part II of the test are easier these days. One double is required, which is less than it used to be. But, you do have to pass both parts to get the test level; I don't know the USFS tests at all as to how they are constructed ...

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
MIF are prerequisites for the FS tests

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Back in the day once skaters got there told dances here in Canada they would go and take their American golds. It didn't get them anything other than bragging rights and more tests to try.  This was before we had the diamond level of dances here. 

Offline DrillingSkills

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »
Thanks Sk8mum! It does help a bit, but part of why I'd like to pass the USFS Adult Gold is to have a sense of having completed something. I'd probably aim for SC Senior Bronze after that, but it doesn't have the same feeling of completion, if that makes sense? And who knows, maybe I'll end up testing up to Gold one day without ever landing an Axel (or, more likely, a double toe. I just can't get the feeling for that jump, even for the single...)