You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Who has colored blades?  (Read 6702 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Who has colored blades?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »

That said ... will a judge fail you for colored blades? Wouldn't think so! However, if you have less than perfect edges, turns, etc, then, blades that draw attention to your blades will draw attention to your edges and turns.  So - that's a consideration. 

As a judge I could care less (when I am judging) if your blades are a certain color or what kind of blades you have.  If you can skate it doesn't matter.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
The blades may look clunky, but they are lighter than traditional blades. The chassis had to be made that way to use the lighter material while still using a steel blade.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
Just FYI: the term "boots" refers to the boot itself.  "Blades" are attached to boots.  Together, they're called "skates."  Your statement about the boots having rhinestones on the blades didn't make sense - you meant the skates have rhinestones blades.

Those blades come from the manufacturer with the stones already attached.  It's not a DIY job.  The upper part of the blade (sole and stanchions) are not made of traditional steel.

Frankly, those skates look ridiculous to me, but I don't like light-up skate guards.  To me, that looks like a second-grader chose the options, yet it seems they belong to an adult skater. 

The monograms, cutouts, inserts, glittered heels and red-colored soles that are everywhere these days just turn me off.   Give me a nice pair of plain white leather skates on a good skater any day.  .
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
Sorry I got the terminology wrong.
The skates belong to a 6 year old.

Hmmm...I've seen the photo before online, maybe the mom posted it on Facebook.  Those are expensive skates with all those features.  Harlick does bring sample skates with all the bells and whistles to their trade shows, but the link wasn't to their site.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

The monograms, cutouts, inserts, glittered heels and red-colored soles that are everywhere these days just turn me off.   Give me a nice pair of plain white leather skates on a good skater any day.  .

I totally agree!  Add to that regular tights in the (white) boot (hate the over-the-boot tights!) -

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »
Those blades may not be DIY crystals, but I've seen many that are.

In my opinion those skates are absurd. Too many embellishments, but I have no problem with a few.