You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Foot Pain and Skates  (Read 2824 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Foot Pain and Skates
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
I recently bought a new pair of skates... Risport RF3 super's.  Easy break in.  Fixed a lot of the problems I had with my GAM's.  The only complaint I have is that they are giving me wicked pain on the bottom of my feet just a smidgen behind the arch (towards the heel).  I had the same thing with my GAM's (several pairs) when I first started wearing them, but with these skates, it doesn't seem to be easing up as quick.  I have pretty normal feet - good arches, no real problems - so I'm a little stumped.  I tried super feet to try and correct this in my last set of GAM's and they seemed to push me off of my outside edges and I don't think I noticed very much of a difference pain wise.  Anyone have any suggestions on what I could try?  The pain can border on 'OFF NOW!!! OFF NOW!!' if I tie my skates just a little tighter than I've learned to, but even with loosening up things around the arches, I'm still unable to stand still by the end of the session... my coach actually asked me if I was okay while she was giving me a lesson because I was hopping from foot to foot :P  I must look like a six year old that has to go to the bathroom or something!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline sk8dsmom

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: Foot Pain and Skates
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
Some history first, my son was in Jackson's for past 2 seasons, both seasons having issues with the arch area. We tried re-heat molding, bumping out the arch, etc.. His last pair we ended up noticing 3/4 of the season in that the blade when he skated wasn't 'straight' on the ice.    He could not skate in a straight line on 1 foot on his left without a lot of difficulty.  We tried superfeet and then moved his blade positioning out.  Was a bit better but still not right.
We just moved to Ridell's for him (1st day on them will be tomorrow).  We did go somewhere different for the skates/blades this time (where we had been before but not year after year due to distance).  During the blade mounting, they put in the temporary mount, had him walk around the store and moved his right blade out a little bit and his left blade quite a bit out from the normal mounting position.  Turns out he walks more on the outside of his feet and his runners show that wear pattern.    So basically, the 'pressure point' of where the blade was mounted caused his arch pain due to foot positioning. We'll know absolutely after tomorrow when he tries them out.
So you may want to take a look to see if that could be the issue -it might not be.. but worth double checking.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
Some history first, my son was in Jackson's for past 2 seasons, both seasons having issues with the arch area. We tried re-heat molding, bumping out the arch, etc.. His last pair we ended up noticing 3/4 of the season in that the blade when he skated wasn't 'straight' on the ice.    He could not skate in a straight line on 1 foot on his left without a lot of difficulty.  We tried superfeet and then moved his blade positioning out.  Was a bit better but still not right.
We just moved to Ridell's for him (1st day on them will be tomorrow).  We did go somewhere different for the skates/blades this time (where we had been before but not year after year due to distance).  During the blade mounting, they put in the temporary mount, had him walk around the store and moved his right blade out a little bit and his left blade quite a bit out from the normal mounting position.  Turns out he walks more on the outside of his feet and his runners show that wear pattern.    So basically, the 'pressure point' of where the blade was mounted caused his arch pain due to foot positioning. We'll know absolutely after tomorrow when he tries them out.
So you may want to take a look to see if that could be the issue -it might not be.. but worth double checking.

Huh.  That's something I hadn't thought of.  I'll ask my tech when I get them sharpened.  Thanks for the advice!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
I'd try putting the heat molded insoles (Super Feet) in them to reduce the strain on your arches.  UNLESS they feel a little narrow in the front of the foot, which is something else that could be causing the arch cramping.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
I'd try putting the heat molded insoles (Super Feet) in them to reduce the strain on your arches.  UNLESS they feel a little narrow in the front of the foot, which is something else that could be causing the arch cramping.

I had the yellow super feet for my old skates which fit into my new ones.  They helped quite a bit in the new ones (did nothing in the old ones).  DOesn't feel too narrow at all.  It's almost like the arch of the skate boot is too far back (but they also aren't too long...).  Heat molded insoles you say?  I haven't heard of these!  I will have to do some googling.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
A popular brand of heat-moldable insoles is Superfeet.  Another brand (which I use) are these ones, by Sole: https://secure.yoursole.com/us/footbeds/thin-sport/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »
How are the Sole footbeds for arch support?  I have high arches, which is always a problem in stock skates.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com