You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: removing mold from skates  (Read 6412 times)

Offline skyblue

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
removing mold from skates
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
hi, I'm hoping someone out there can provide me with some advice.  My figure skates got submerged in water (ocean and likely sewage) during hurricane sandy (along with my entire first floor). The blades are ruined as they are all rusty. The outside of the boot is ok, the inside I let dry but there is mold there. I contacted Harlick where I bought my boots and they told me that I should clean the inside and then they would reline the boot.  My concern is that when they reline it over and that would be by placing new material over the original (they will not rip out the original boot lining) that mold can grow into the new lining.  I know the best thing is to buy new boots but I just cannot afford that right now or in the near future.

So my question is, should I go ahead and reline the boot over the original lining (cost of $75 plus another $25 to strech it) + shipping cost from east coast to west coast.  If I do that, what is the best way to remove mold from the inside of the boot?

thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: removing mold from skates
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
Can you get used skates very often in your area?  $75 + two way shipping buys a decent pair around here, often with a blade.

If you are going to have the lining redone, then I would try alcohol to clean them.  But honestly, flood water is disgusting, and I wouldn't want to wear those again.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

Your homeowners insurance might cover part of the replacement cost - check with your insurer.
Saltwater and sewage, IMO, means get new skates.

Sorry about the damage.  Good luck.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline skyblue

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
unfortunately the home insurance doesn't cover flood related damage and the flood insurance doesn't cover contents.   :-[

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »
If they've been soaked once, why not soak them again in clorine bleach?  That should kill the mold.  Or I'd try spraying them with something like Tilex (which is a mold killer and contains bleach).

The boots are already damaged, so anything is worth trying.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:11:40 AM »
Yuk!

There are athlete's foot sprays that kill fungus. Frequently applied to shoes and boots. But you may have enough mold to need something industrial strength, like the previous person suggested.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
Can you get used skates very often in your area?  $75 + two way shipping buys a decent pair around here, often with a blade.

If you are going to have the lining redone, then I would try alcohol to clean them.  But honestly, flood water is disgusting, and I wouldn't want to wear those again.

Seriously! Can you imagine what kind of germs are in those?? Seawater is one thing (living on the North Atlantic coast myself I understand this), but sewage? You are NEVER gonna get those germs out! Just imagine if sewage bacteria got in a cut in your foot! That's one infection I would not want to deal with. Your boots are now a biohazard! I think you just might need to bite the bullet and get a new pair.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
If they've been soaked once, why not soak them again in clorine bleach?  That should kill the mold.  Or I'd try spraying them with something like Tilex (which is a mold killer and contains bleach).

The boots are already damaged, so anything is worth trying.

I think damaged is an understatement. Once you start talking mold and sewage, I think it's over for the poor skates.

Offline skyblue

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
I guess you guys confirmed that I'm just going to have to toss them. I had my baby 9months ago and up until my 4th month I skated for several years 3x a week. Haven't skated much since then but was hoping to get back into it.  I miss skating soooo very much!! hopefully at some point I will be back on the rink with decent skates.  thanks for all the advice.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
Sorry about your skates Skyblue.  I skated until I was 5 or 6 months pregnant and the extra weight just broke them down so much that they ended up like slippers when I got back on the ice.  So not only do they have the flood against them they might just be broken down too much to use from skating pregnant.  Hope you find a nice new pair.

Offline skyblue

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
thank you SynchKat