You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why do Worlds tickets have different prices?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Why do Worlds tickets have different prices?
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
From the official site of the 2013 World Figure Skating Championship:

http://www.worlds2013.ca/tickets/index.html

One event from each of the following three categories (Gold, Silver, Bronze) must be chosen:

Gold – Men Free Program, Ice Dance Free Dance, Gala Exhibition (Regular prices - $185-$220)
Silver – Ladies Free Program, Pairs Free Program, Men Short Program, Ice Dance Short Dance (Regular prices - $130-$160)
Bronze – Ladies Short Program, Pairs Short Program (Regular prices - $90-$115)

I wonder why there is a price difference? Why are the men's and ice dance events more expensive than the ladies' events? Is this because they expect fewer people to watch men's/ice dance so they increase the price?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Why do Worlds tickets have different prices?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
My guess is the exact opposite. They expect those events to be more attended, and thus higher price (supply/demand).

Men's is a massive event- the skaters in it are amazing, and except for the US where we pretty much love our pretty princesses- it tends to be the most followed event of the sport due to the athleticism of the top athletes (the Japanese men are insane), and this is Canada: their ice dancers are a big draw.  They don't really have a big name in ladies or pairs, so the interest will be lower.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Why do Worlds tickets have different prices?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
My guess is the exact opposite. They expect those events to be more attended, and thus higher price (supply/demand).

Men's is a massive event- the skaters in it are amazing, and except for the US where we pretty much love our pretty princesses- it tends to be the most followed event of the sport due to the athleticism of the top athletes (the Japanese men are insane), and this is Canada: their ice dancers are a big draw.  They don't really have a big name in ladies or pairs, so the interest will be lower.

I've always thought ladies' events were the most popular, and with Yuna and Mao back for Worlds, I think it's going to draw quite a crowd. Although, if I had to pick one event, I would want to watch men's short/free, if I had the means (Yuzuru and Daisuke!!!). But I forgot about this being in Canada, famous for ice dance and Patrick Chan.