You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Silliness At My Ice Rink San Jose Sharks Ice - Gangnam Style!  (Read 6336 times)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
Silliness At My Ice Rink San Jose Sharks Ice - Gangnam Style!
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed. That's my coach at 2:40. He's more flamboyant than the other skaters.  8)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Silliness At My Ice Rink - Gangnam Style!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »
I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed. That's my coach at 2:40. He's more flamboyant than the other skaters.  8)

LOL nice try! Some exhibition numbers are bound to appear at some point this season I think :S lol

Alex Shibutani @AlexShibutani
I hear ya! Start practicing and we'll hit it up at NHK! RT @skate_moivo: We need to learn this dance @AlexShibutani

I am not sure if Maia and Alex Shibutani will pull this together during NHK, I am certainly looking for it based on Alex's tweet!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
LOL nice try! Some exhibition numbers are bound to appear at some point this season I think :S lol

I am not sure if Maia and Alex Shibutani will pull this together during NHK, I am certainly looking for it based on Alex's tweet!

? I don't understand this reply. This is Sharks Ice San Jose. Reggie is my coach from Adult Learn to Skate turned private coach. He's a hilarious guy. I just wanted to put this out there to see if any other Sharks skaters were here. Woot!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »
? I don't understand this reply. This is Sharks Ice San Jose. Reggie is my coach from Adult Learn to Skate turned private coach. He's a hilarious guy. I just wanted to put this out there to see if any other Sharks skaters were here. Woot!

The first sentence in my reply directly related to the video (thanks for sharing). The rest was... speculation on the skating community's reaction to PSY's Gangnam Style in general. Sorry if it was confusing.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:40 AM »
The first sentence in my reply directly related to the video (thanks for sharing). The rest was... speculation on the skating community's reaction to PSY's Gangnam Style in general. Sorry if it was confusing.

Ah... that makes more sense. Haha. I hope you enjoyed it.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:53:36 AM »

According to WAPO Gangnam Style is  unknown in Japan. There's political disagreements between Japan and South Korea that affects even pop culture.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
According to WAPO Gangnam Style is  unknown in Japan. There's political disagreements between Japan and South Korea that affects even pop culture.

The world is really small now, even censorship cannot really stop cultural influences. The song may not be well received in Japan, but I think people would hear about it.

Regarding Alex's tweet: he and Maia have successfully produced totally hilarious music videos with other elite skaters during "the ice" show in Japan and "champions camp" in the US this year. I wouldn't be surprised if another production is in the making :)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: Silliness At My Ice Rink San Jose Sharks Ice - Gangnam Style!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »

Be PROUD!!!  This was great!!!  Of course, now I'll have that song in my head all day, but that's cool.  Off to download the song now (and pay for it, in case the FCC is reading this.... :o)
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
The world is really small now, even censorship cannot really stop cultural influences. The song may not be well received in Japan, but I think people would hear about it.

Regarding Alex's tweet: he and Maia have successfully produced totally hilarious music videos with other elite skaters during "the ice" show in Japan and "champions camp" in the US this year. I wouldn't be surprised if another production is in the making :)

WAPO was wrong, I guess.  8) Is this the video you were talking about?:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 01:24:25 AM »
LOL thanks iomoon for posting the video. This is an older thread and Cup of China happened just last weekend. I was glad to see the skaters having fun after a stressful competition!!! Not sure if every gala participant was comfortable with this "dance" style but oh well. :P

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »
Check out this version from a Bad Sachsa, German crew:

(Due credit: the ISI shared this video on their Facebook page this morning.)

Very funky and cool - I want to try those sideways stomps now.  (Where the resulting holes won't be a big prob. ;) )

I cannot believe how LOW the ceiling/pipes are at that rink!  Must make for interesting choreography challenges!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
I think that's the best one I've seen.
Cute guys.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karrot

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
Haha, awesome!

I actually have a couple of those red buttondown unitards like that one person wore in the video. I am definitely going to wear one skating soon! ;D

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
Check out this version from a Bad Sachsa, German crew:

(Due credit: the ISI shared this video on their Facebook page this morning.)

Very funky and cool - I want to try those sideways stomps now.  (Where the resulting holes won't be a big prob. ;) )

I cannot believe how LOW the ceiling/pipes are at that rink!  Must make for interesting choreography challenges!

I love how unsexy the womens' costumes are while the mens' costumes are ridiculous. XD

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
Cute videos.

Ionmoon my DD skated at your rink for ISI Worlds in 2009.  She also used to take ice dance lessons from Pam and Jon, who I think are still teaching at your rink (they taught here for about 2 years - 2007-9).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »

Christina Gao's "Gaonam Style" exhibition at TEB, with special guests Paul Porier, Piper Gilles and Tomas Verner... I actually like the sun glasses look on her! Totally different from her usual :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Cute videos.

Ionmoon my DD skated at your rink for ISI Worlds in 2009.  She also used to take ice dance lessons from Pam and Jon, who I think are still teaching at your rink (they taught here for about 2 years - 2007-9).

:D YAY! How are they doing now?

I don't know Pam and Jon, but that's probably because I've only been there for 10 months. ^^;;;  <---n00b. Do you know Sergei?

Edit: never mind. =_=; I see Jon sometimes. I recognize coaches by face, not their name. LOL So dumb.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »

Christina Gao's "Gaonam Style" exhibition at TEB, with special guests Paul Porier, Piper Gilles and Tomas Verner... I actually like the sun glasses look on her! Totally different from her usual :)

That was enjoyable XD Geez... this song is perfect for figure skating.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
One of our coaches recorded the song as part of a warmup CD; we have a rink with a wall of windows that is overlooked by the hockey folk.  They can't hear music outside of the rink ... but they can certainly see the skaters executing the dance (my kid being one of the ringleaders)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
Yep... Pam and Jon are here. PinkLaces: do you want to say hello? :)