You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Equipment Cost Comparison  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Equipment Cost Comparison
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Beginner equipment costs ... just for fun ...  ::>)

Figure Skating $100-150
Skates, guards, soakers, gloves, helmet, bag

Hockey $250-300
Helmet, jersey, skates, stick, pads, pants, gloves, bag, miscellaneous

Field Hockey $100-125
Stick, jersey, pads, gloves, bag, ball, miscellaneous

Soccer $50-150
Cleats, shin guards, ball, jersey, bag

Running $50-150
Footwear, jersey
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Equipment Cost Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
Hockey is really inexpensive here- for beginners.  The league rents gear for $85 per season, and rental skates are provided until you want to buy your own.
This is for Learn to play, but also for the low level leagues.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
Hockey is really inexpensive here- for beginners.  The league rents gear for $85 per season, and rental skates are provided until you want to buy your own.  This is for Learn to play, but also for the low level leagues.
You're comparing oranges and grapefruits here.  The topic is the cost of BUYING equipment for sports.  You can't compare loaner equipment costs to buying brand-new. 

If you want to do that comparison, rental figure skates and loaner helmets are freebies with our LTS programs this season.
Our LTP program includes a stick or jersey and free loaner skates for the session.  The parents are on their own for the helmet, pads, gloves, etc.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
Learn to Skate: 
Skates + Helmet.    About $120-150 depending on the helmet more than the skates.  We required certified hockey helmets and most parents get the cage.
Figure skating:
Skates + helmet for a while + all the pretty clothes:  About $200, as they'll get the more expensive skates.  The clothes  :laugh:

Hockey:  Beginner league
Skates + Helmet, so same as LTS.   So $120 - 150 and then about another $100 for low end or used shoulders shins elbows shorts jock, socks and stick.  Shirts are provided by Sponsor.   We have a very active used equipment market, I was selling off some of our old stuff this summer and sold elbows for $5.

Ringette:  Skates + Helmet, Same as hockey but the stick is less but the pants are more expensive 

Indoor soccer:   Shoes, shorts, jock, most leagues supply team shirt and socks and a practice ball.  $100

Indoor volleyball:  Shoes, kneepads, shorts, league supplies team shirt. $150  I don't know why the shoes are so expensive.

Downhill skiing:   $250 for a tot but most people do the season package which is a year rental plus season pass including lesson for about $600. 

I can't think of any other sports but then there are dance schools and such.  Good tap shoes cost about $60 and class leotard and tights is about another $30.

Edit:  Speed skating.   The beginner level provides the skates for the children so all they have to buy is a helmet $100.

Another edit:

The bigger cost on top of all of this is ice rental or facility time which then affects the cost to register.    The indoor soccer pitch charges as much as ice rental, I was very surprised.   

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
You're comparing oranges and grapefruits here.  The topic is the cost of BUYING equipment for sports.  You can't compare loaner equipment costs to buying brand-new. 

Where does it say this thread is about BUYING equipment?  You said it is beginner costs.
In our hockey league, the beginner cost is for a league rental (totally different from rink rental).  Beginners DON'T buy that stuff here.  That is for LTP class OR for belonging to your first team (those kids usually get skates).

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
My mom said looking at my figure skating costs, she'd have been more willing to pay for figure skating for me as a kid/teenager. For hockey, too, yeah, gear is like 200-300 NEW, but used you can get a whole set of stuff for like $100. The advantage of figure skating is it's more pay as you go compared to hockey. For me and hockey, for LTS hockey, I had about half the equipment and it still ran my parents like $200ish because they didn't buy used, then the LTS session wasn't too bad, maybe 200-300? I don't know, figure and hockey LTS I think would be equivalent costs. The problem was, right, after LTS, a youth league my mom said was like $1000+ to play (probably insurance, adult leagues are like 300-400,) then there's travelling and all that, too. So after my time in LTS hockey league, I never skated again until now.

Figure would have been easier for costs, because it'd have been $100 for boots, and that's it. Maybe some workout pants or something perhaps, too. So cheaper equipment, yeah. Moreso, I'd have not had to jump from LTS to league, I'd have probably just stayed in the LTS classes for a few years. Then if I wanted ice time, it'd either be free/$5 public sessions if I was out of school, or if I was in school, $10-15 freestyle sessions, whereas hockey my mother would have had my mom dropping a grand or two all at once, and it'd be a terrible investment if I didn't like it, which is what happened with so many other sports I tried. One advantage of hockey, though, at least in my area, we had a high school hockey team, and they'd give you an equipment/league cost voucher. I did consider playing hockey in high school a fair amount more seriously than I considered any other sport, but I had lots of problems in high school, was way out of shape, and just didn't think I could do it. So figure, I wouldn't have had the school/state sponsoring me to participate, so that's one thing different.

I think both sports are pretty expensive, just figure has the advantage of "pay as you go" that hockey doesn't at younger ages. At older ages, it loses this advantage, as 300-400 for the adult leagues is pretty petty money (considering a USFSA membership is $200 and all...) and there's open hockey and stick time sessions for 16-18+, but kids don't have the opportunity of open hockey/stick time at their ages. The open hockey and stick time sessions run the same price as freestyle basically, $10-20, I know here open hockey is $20 but it's 2 hours, and freestyle is 10-15 depending on time, but is only 50 minutes, so same cost really.

However, the amount spent on coaching is less I think in hockey, just because there's less pressure on individual players to be elite level, you grow with your team generally, being a team sport and all. I've heard of parents paying figure skating coaches basically a stipend, ie, $20K a year for unlimited coaching/time spent, I've never heard of that going on in hockey. So to be "elite" in figure skating I would say would cost more money easily than hockey. I mean one could drop the cash in hockey, I'm sure, but nobody really does I think. The other thing in hockey is, nobody thinks about being WORLD class in hockey, either, it's just about beating local/national teams. At my rink, there's ISU Champions walking amongst you, so your aspirations you aim at are higher. The other thing too with hockey is, it's a more social sport being a team sport, and many people are simply playing for a sense of belonging, not because they wanna be really good at hockey for no reason besides being really good at hockey.

I think THIS is what scares parents off about figure skating. Seeing the girls that are homeschooled, skate like 4 hours a day, spend the whole day with their coach, etc. I know some girls whose coaching and ice costs exceed 100K a year easily. Whereas one can be at a high level in hockey simply by maybe taking a few private lessons/classes every month, and playing hockey. The amount of commitment required for hockey is very little compared to figure, I think.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
Where does it say this thread is about BUYING equipment?  You said it is beginner costs.
First, the word "cost" in the title -- I didn't write "loaner/rental."   Second, the price ranges I listed were obviously purchase costs, not rental/loaner costs.  My point in creating the thread is that purchasing a pair of skates with guards/soakers is far less expensive than outfitting a hockey player.

Again, you can't compare rental/loaner costs to purchase costs, lol.  Used equipment is always going to be less expensive than new, but these are the equipment costs that were outlined on the various sports' websites.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
First, the word "cost" in the title -- I didn't write "loaner/rental."
Cost doesn't imply buying at all.  It implies money spent.  Are you now saying rentals don't have costs?

It's great that you intended to speak only about cost of buying equipment, but that isn't what you said.  I realize your price ranges are purchase costs, although they seem extremely low- such that they might be rental costs- must be regional?
I was adding that beginners don't have to purchase, even in sports that require a lot of gear.  (I only found that out this year.  I thought hockey gear had to be provided by the player.  I didn't know there were rentals beyond skates.)

Again, you can't compare rental/loaner costs to purchase costs
And you absolultely CAN compare rental costs to purchase costs, and many parents do.  It is the cost of entry into that sport.  If parents want to send their kids to hockey, they look at that $85 fee (along with ALL the other fees- that is just the beginning of what has to be paid to the league) and compare it to what soccer, gymnastics, or even cello lessons cost.    You specified beginner.  Beginners are the ones who rent. 

If I was looking at starting hockey, I honestly couldn't care less what it costs to buy the gear, because until I get down the road with it, I wouldn't be buying it.  But if I wanted to start taekwando, I would definitely look to see how much it costs to buy the required uniform, because the local studio doesn't rent those.  That is apples to apples for what it would take for me to start in two sports equipment. 

But as someone else said, just looking at equipment costs is a bit of a fantasy.  The other costs add up massively.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
But as someone else said, just looking at equipment costs is a bit of a fantasy.  The other costs add up massively.

That was my point, equipment cost is almost irrelevant.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Ballet:
Shoes: $20
Plain Leotard: $10-$20
Tights: $4-$10
That's assuming the teacher requires a leotard and tights; in my adult class we all wear leggings and casual shirts.

Swimming
Suit: $40-$90, depending on size and sales
Goggles: $15-$25
Cap: $5-$10
Earplugs: $3

And yet I had to fall in love with figure skating...

Of course, even for a beginner costs can widely vary depending on what you buy. Some people get their kids $20 plastic skates, while others get entry-level figure skates right away. Most kids already have gloves and a sweatshirt or jacket appropriate for skating, but some parents go ahead and buy them stuff just for skating. I just carried my skates for years instead of buying a special bag and put everything else in an old backpack.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »
So many people say 'skating is so expensive'. Well, if you have to buy a lot of tat (the zuca bag is an example) when the only things you really need are well fitting boots and lessons.
I showed horses. Below is my 'stuff'. And all of this is essential (I'm a little unusual with so many saddles)
This is in early 90s costs--today it's probably double
Hunt Saddle $1100
Side Saddle $1400
Used dressage saddle $600
Show Boots $225
jodhpurs $60
Show Jacket $140
Show helmet $80
Daily helmet $60
stirrups $80
Leathers $50
show crop $40
rubber crop $10
hunting crop antique $110
Stock $15
show hair ribbon with net $10
Show shirt $50
Training pants $45
Winter paddock boots $60
Summer canvas boots $75
Gloves varied $40
saddle pads (day and show) several $100 total
Spurs (varied) $60 total
Winter riding jacket $70
Various bridles, bits, and reins god only knows

And I was lucky. I showed other people's horses for them, so I didn't have to pay fees.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
I think beginning skating is cheap compared to a lot of things.  There's no rule saying you HAVE to own skates to learn to skate.  I've seen plenty of kids sail through the lower basic levels in rentals (and I've even seen some as high as Basic 6 and 7 in rentals), while others in "real" figure skates (my own daughter included) take forever to master some skills and their progress is relatively slow.  Now, my kid has zero coordination and is absolutely afraid to try anything new - the fact that she skates at all and has gotten as far as she has is a small miracle - her progress, or lack of, has more to do with her personality than what is on her feet... I feel the same holds true for MOST kids.

Where we are at least, skating costs no more than the average beginning dance or gymnastics class, and the start up cost is lower because you really don't need to buy anything "extra" at first.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:20 AM »
I think beginning skating is cheap compared to a lot of things.  There's no rule saying you HAVE to own skates to learn to skate. 

I agree, for us $90 for 8 weeks of lessons (including 8 practice ice passes, which is why I still do group lessons- it is worth it just for the ice time) beginning figure skating is one of the cheapest activities a kid can do.  My dance classes cost twice what my figure skating lessons do, and I had to buy the stuff outlined in the post above.  To take beginning skating classes I didn't need any equipment at all.  The expense comes in when you move beyond beginner.    (Heck- the same thing happens in dance though  $40-80 for a pair of shoes that last a month!)

I'm wondering about the equestrian costs- are those the start up costs of a beginner, or are those the costs of someone who has committed to it?  I don't imagine beginners buy their own saddles right?

Want a low equipment cost sport?  Try rowing with a club that owns boats.  Total equipment cost (that I bought)  $0.   You need a t-shirt, tight shorts, and socks.   The actual rowing practices cost more than my LTS classes, but it isn't an equipment fee.  (Want your own boat?  You're looking around 5k for a single.) 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

I'm wondering about the equestrian costs- are those the start up costs of a beginner, or are those the costs of someone who has committed to it?  I don't imagine beginners buy their own saddles right?

You're right Skittl. Most beginners don't own their own saddles, so for a true beginner, all you need are the pants, a helmet and  paddock boots.

The pants because riding pants don't have inside seams (prevents chaffing), the paddock boots because you need a boot with a heel that won't slip inside the stirrup, and a helmet because you don't want a stable helmet. Helmets are suposed to be remved from service if they've done their job. I never ran into a stable that did this.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »

Downhill skiing:   $250 for a tot but most people do the season package which is a year rental plus season pass including lesson for about $600. 

That's why I only go once a year. My brother wants me to buy my own boots. $300+ for intermediate boots? No thanks!  ???

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
Baseball:  $15 for a jockstrap.  All else provided by the league, and wear your running shoes.  WINS!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
Junior Cricket:

white shirt: $30 if you bought specialty cricket whites...
white pants: $40

wear own shoes, all equipment provided. But when I started playing in actual grade, it went more like this:

white shirt: $30
white pants: $40
spikes: $80
pads: $60
bat: $90+
helmet: $50
gloves: $30
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
Baseball:  $15 for a jockstrap.  All else provided by the league, and wear your running shoes.  WINS!

And not even that if you're a girl!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
Beginner equipment costs ... just for fun ...  ::>)

Figure Skating $100-150
Skates, guards, soakers, gloves, helmet, bag

Hockey $250-300
Helmet, jersey, skates, stick, pads, pants, gloves, bag, miscellaneous

Field Hockey $100-125
Stick, jersey, pads, gloves, bag, ball, miscellaneous

Soccer $50-150
Cleats, shin guards, ball, jersey, bag

Running $50-150
Footwear, jersey

I think you are about spot on with the cost of hockey equipment. I know we paid something like 250 for my son's equipment 3 yrs ago. That did not include his skates or gloves since he already had those. :) That also did not include his jersey. We bought that later for 40.00.

My older son played basketball for a couple of years through our rec center.
Jersey: 20.00 and could be used the next year if it still fit.
Shoes: could be 50.00 depending on the individual. To be honest, he just wore his regular shoes.

Rec Soccer:
T-shirt-10-15.00
Soccer Shoes: 30.00(this is a gestimate)
Shin Guards: 10-15.00

Ballet:
Ballet Shoes: 20.00
Leotards: 10.00-20.00
Registration costs: 35.00(annual..does not include monthly class fee)

Karate:
registration fee: 50.00 and includes free uniform

Swimming:
35.00 for 6 weeks of lessons
Goggles: 10.00-15.00
No special suit required for beginning lessons.

Skating costs will vary..
40.00 for a 6 week LTS session. That includes 5 or 6 public/freestyle sessions and a skate rental.
If skaters want to buy their skates, they will run in the price range you mentioned.
Soakers: 8.00
Hard guards: 8-10.00
Gloves: 1-3.00 depending on the time of year and where they buy them.
Bag: most skaters around here use a backpack or some other bag they already have until they get more serious about it. I also don't see many LTS in skating clothes until they advance more. However, if they were to buy it, it would run the same as you mentioned.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
I'm a little depressed reading everyone else's cost comparisons of Learn to Skate. Here it is $115 for seven half-hour classes. That does include skates -- every kid gets a pair of Jackson softec skates. The local university and city parks & rec offer dance, swim and gymnastics classes for a much lower cost per half hour of group instruction.

I'm amazed, though, when I hear how much it costs to join the traveling soccer and hockey teams. It's well over $1,000 a season, and that doesn't include hotels. By the time your kid is good enough to play for those, though, I guess you're sucked in.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
And not even that if you're a girl!

Girls wear "jills"  which is a heavily padded item secured in a similar way to a jockstrap.  Required by a lot of girls leagues now, and particularly for catchers.  They actually cost a bit more than jock ... I'd say it cost me around $20 for my daughter  - ????

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
I'm a little depressed reading everyone else's cost comparisons of Learn to Skate. Here it is $115 for seven half-hour classes. That does include skates -- every kid gets a pair of Jackson softec skates. The local university and city parks & rec offer dance, swim and gymnastics classes for a much lower cost per half hour of group instruction.

I'm amazed, though, when I hear how much it costs to join the traveling soccer and hockey teams. It's well over $1,000 a season, and that doesn't include hotels. By the time your kid is good enough to play for those, though, I guess you're sucked in.

Okay. Our LTS classes.  $425 to $460 for 25 lessons. No skates provided. Must purchase approved hockey helmet.  Includes Skate Canada membership and insurance.  And that's cheaper than when I lived in downtown Toronto around 10 years ago.

$1,000 makes me laugh for the traveling hockey teams ... double that, add $800, and you'll be at the cheapest end of the spectrum in our area :)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 10:34:04 PM »
Okay. Our LTS classes.  $425 to $460 for 25 lessons. No skates provided. Must purchase approved hockey helmet.  Includes Skate Canada membership and insurance.  And that's cheaper than when I lived in downtown Toronto around 10 years ago.

$1,000 makes me laugh for the traveling hockey teams ... double that, add $800, and you'll be at the cheapest end of the spectrum in our area :)

Around here, travel hockey teams are definitely more then 1000.00. I paid 450 for my son to play on a house team 3 years ago... and that did not include his jersey. I don't know what the current prices are, they are probably the same or slightly higher. My daughter's friend's brother plays on a travel team and I know they pay more then 1K for a yr. I want to say that one team was around $6,000 for the year just for dues. Different teams have different fees and requirements. I know one team they were on also required dressy clothes for game days. If you don't own those, you would have to purchase those as well. Again, the dues do not include gas and hotel fees when traveling.

As for travel soccer, I know it is up there as well. I have known a few families who participate in travel soccer and while the price may not match our figure skating costs, it is not far from it.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
Our traveling hockey team is over $1,000. I think it's $1,400.

It still sounds like a lot to me, although I guess when I think about what I spend on skating, it's not any worse. Still, most parents I know would not be able to afford $1,400, plus hotels, meals and equipment. Paying $6,000 in dues to play travel hockey blows my mind. I don't think they'd be able to find enough interested people with that kind of money to spare in my area.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
Our traveling hockey team is over $1,000. I think it's $1,400.

It still sounds like a lot to me, although I guess when I think about what I spend on skating, it's not any worse. Still, most parents I know would not be able to afford $1,400, plus hotels, meals and equipment. Paying $6,000 in dues to play travel hockey blows my mind. I don't think they'd be able to find enough interested people with that kind of money to spare in my area.

They line up around here to get on the teams, and it's cutthroat and vicious among the parents!  I believe the last quote I had from a parent of a 10 year old playing at the top level team was around $15000 a year, and that did NOT include equipment, which is apparently brutally expensive with graphite sticks, fancy skates, etc etc etc.  And we're cheaper than if we drove a few miles further ...  disclaimer: not a hockey parent. Just going by the discussions around the arena.

Synchro team, not that high a level:  $5,000 base.  Doesn't include fundraising, nor does it include the fees that the skaters pay for skating sessions or coaching outside of synchro, and they were all required to do that to keep up their skating level.

However... competitive swimming? 9 years ago, $4,800 fees september to June: $165 per comp for swim suits that lasted, oh, maybe, if you were lucky for that one comp.  Then there were the camps, the dryland training .... nothing is cheap when you get to a certain level.