You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Messing with competitor's skates  (Read 3895 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Messing with competitor's skates
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »
We've all heard stories of competitor's sabotaging someone skates. I always assumed they were imaginary until I read this story from the world of speed skating at the international level

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--u-s--speedskater-admits-to-sabotaging-opponent-s-skate--faces-sanctions.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
Re: Messing with competitor's skates
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »
Oh my goodness!!  My hairdresser was just telling me about this this morning!!  She couldn't remember if it was a figure skater or not, but I was like "What the???" 

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Wow!  Some story.  It's ridiculous and pathetic. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »
If someone feels that to win, they have to mess with their rival's skates, then they're a looser no matter how you slice it.  :P Interesting article. ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
Shouldn't they impose a punishment for putting a speed skater's life in danger?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:02 AM »
If someone feels that to win, they have to mess with their rival's skates, then they're a looser no matter how you slice it.  :P Interesting article. ;)
The thing is, it doesn't seem like the skater felt they had to do it to WIN.  They felt they had to do it due to the horrible environment the coach had set up and they bent under pressure and threats that the coach wouldn't allow him 'top spots' or whatever on the upcoming teams.

The athlete should not have done it, and should have gone to the federation much sooner about this horrible coach.  It is still the athletes fault he did it, he needs to take responsibility for his actions, but he should have never been put in that position (and provided proper tools to do it) by the coach.  He had his spot on the team threatened not based on his performance but based on his willingness to do this.  This is only coming out because he spoke up to support other people's stories of the awful things this coach did.  I'm glad he was willing to speak up and face the consequences. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
This sure does happen at figure skating comps ... I've seen edges taken off, nicks put in blades, laces sawed through, screws loosened, water poured inside boots ... and heard stories from others of similar incidents.

Rule Number One: Thou Shalt Never Ever Ever Leave Your Skates Unattended At Any Time.  Costumes - you can sort of replace, hopefully, as most people do travel with some kind of backup costume; but, skates, they'll take you out of the game.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
The thing is, it doesn't seem like the skater felt they had to do it to WIN.  They felt they had to do it due to the horrible environment the coach had set up and they bent under pressure and threats that the coach wouldn't allow him 'top spots' or whatever on the upcoming teams.

That's horrible that the coach would be that "strict."  :-[ I've never witnessed it at figure skating comps though....
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
That's horrible that the coach would be that "strict."  :-[ I've never witnessed it at figure skating comps though....

If you look into it further it appears this coach was pretty abusive in general.  It is sad it was tolerated for so long.  All the athletes suffered due to it.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
Rule Number One: Thou Shalt Never Ever Ever Leave Your Skates Unattended At Any Time.  Costumes - you can sort of replace, hopefully, as most people do travel with some kind of backup costume; but, skates, they'll take you out of the game.
I wonder how many people, especially at the lower levels and nonqualifying comps, actually follow this rule. My coach has given me the same advice, but I leave my skates alone anyway because it's easier than carrying them around, and I often see other people's sitting unattended. I'm probably naive, but it's hard to believe an adult bronze skater would be so invested in the competition's outcome that he/she would sabotage someone.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
I'm probably naive, but it's hard to believe an adult bronze skater would be so invested in the competition's outcome that he/she would sabotage someone.

No, I don't think you're that naive... I would expect "adults" to behave as such, plus the stakes aren't as high for us as they would be for a kid competing for only a couple spots at regionals/sectionals. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
I wonder how many people, especially at the lower levels and nonqualifying comps, actually follow this rule. My coach has given me the same advice, but I leave my skates alone anyway because it's easier than carrying them around, and I often see other people's sitting unattended. I'm probably naive, but it's hard to believe an adult bronze skater would be so invested in the competition's outcome that he/she would sabotage someone.

At local competitions it is very normal for everyone to leave their skates in the locker room.  Even the junior ladies.
The only person I've seen not separate with his bag was a senior competitor who also competes nationally.  I bet that was more out of worry they would be taken by accident than tampered with (no one was in his event!).

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

The athlete should not have done it, and should have gone to the federation much sooner about this horrible coach.  It is still the athletes fault he did it, he needs to take responsibility for his actions, but he should have never been put in that position (and provided proper tools to do it) by the coach.  He had his spot on the team threatened not based on his performance but based on his willingness to do this.  This is only coming out because he spoke up to support other people's stories of the awful things this coach did.  I'm glad he was willing to speak up and face the consequences.

You are so right.  He should have gone to the federation immediately. 
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/