You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

What/When Do You Test Next?

APB MIF
4 (12.9%)
APB FS
5 (16.1%)
AB MIF
4 (12.9%)
AB FS
5 (16.1%)
AS MIF
4 (12.9%)
AS FS
0 (0%)
AG MIF
0 (0%)
AG FS
0 (0%)
Other (i.e.; ISI)
9 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Any Adults Testing Soon?  (Read 8920 times)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Any Adults Testing Soon?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Planning to take my Novice moves this summer

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Hoping to finish my Bronze dances and pass my first Pre-Silver this summer.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
Hoping to sit Level 1 pattern dance (Prelim foxtrot and Rhythm blues) whenever we next have a dance test day at my rink. My rink shuts next week until mid July (for refurbishment) so I guess there won't be a test until the Autumn sometime.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Adult Silver Moves = probably never

Finish Pre-Gold Dances = maybe someday

2nd Figure test = probably never

Adult Silver Figures test = maybe someday

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
I'm biting the bullet and signing up for my rink's summer ice dance camp, there will be ISI and USFS testing opportunity at the end of camp, will see if I am ready to pass any of the beginner dance tests...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
I'm biting the bullet and signing up for my rink's summer ice dance camp, there will be ISI and USFS testing opportunity at the end of camp, will see if I am ready to pass any of the beginner dance tests...

Without a doubt you can.. all of the preliminary dances are pretty simple and easy to remember, and even of the pre-bronze dances, I think 2 of the 3 are fairly easy/fun.

I'm toying with the idea of testing my prelim dances this summer or fall... I'd need some lessons on partnering (and a partner!) since I've only done them solo and I don't want to test solo, but I don't see any reason I couldn't do it.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Hoping to take my gold moves later this year....
Silver freestyle is on the menu (once the camel is stable).   I think, though,  I want to do the next year's AN as a Bronze skater, since I have never done it before :-)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »
Pre-Bronze MIF and FS in August.  Perhaps even Bronze by then.  The other summer dates don't work for me.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
Should be ready for another go at Bronze FS at the end of June.

For me, the reason the backspin has been so tough is that getting all the weight in the right place means that I feel that I will fall backwards--and falling backwards is just NOT a good feeling, as many of us know! I've never had trouble getting onto the back outside edge, but STAYING there can be a real problem. At this point I'm about 2/5 attempts on the backspin and 3/5 on the loop. Thankfully secondary coach is putting things in terms I can understand and short-term goals that I can comprehend at the moment. So, although my runthroughs have been rather terrible, all but the backspin and loop are quite solid, and those two elements are well on their way. I'm forcing my primary coach to make me do runthroughs in lesson. . . she can be a bit lackadaisical about it but if i don't do the runthroughs I won't have the confidence that I can pull everything together in that 1:50.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
How did you get on?

And I'm another one who tested yesterday. Level 2 free dance.

I passed level1 field moves, how did you get on?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
I passed level1 field moves, how did you get on?

The judge was blind and deaf. I passed.

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Should be ready for another go at Bronze FS at the end of June.

For me, the reason the backspin has been so tough is that getting all the weight in the right place means that I feel that I will fall backwards--and falling backwards is just NOT a good feeling, as many of us know! I've never had trouble getting onto the back outside edge, but STAYING there can be a real problem. At this point I'm about 2/5 attempts on the backspin and 3/5 on the loop. Thankfully secondary coach is putting things in terms I can understand and short-term goals that I can comprehend at the moment. So, although my runthroughs have been rather terrible, all but the backspin and loop are quite solid, and those two elements are well on their way. I'm forcing my primary coach to make me do runthroughs in lesson. . . she can be a bit lackadaisical about it but if i don't do the runthroughs I won't have the confidence that I can pull everything together in that 1:50.
You and me both on the backspin.  I felt like I was making good progress, then all of a sudden I seem to be "off my rocker" .... ha!  We have not even finished putting the components of my FS together and my potential test date is 6-12 ... tomorrow we finish the program in a 30 minute lesson, then the month of May to see if it's worth of testing.  I may just do the MIF if it's not ready.  I don't want to "just pass" I would rather pass with confidence.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »
You and me both on the backspin.  I felt like I was making good progress, then all of a sudden I seem to be "off my rocker" .... ha!  We have not even finished putting the components of my FS together and my potential test date is 6-12 ... tomorrow we finish the program in a 30 minute lesson, then the month of May to see if it's worth of testing.  I may just do the MIF if it's not ready.  I don't want to "just pass" I would rather pass with confidence.
at this stage, I'd be happy to "just pass" my Bronze FS.  I can't get to the rink to skate with my schedule-I'm working when there is freestyle, when I'm off there isn't any ice. Can't help that, unfortunately.  We put in the flip in place of the loop, but if I can't get it to work, I'm guessing the loop will go back in.  I'm just frustrated at this point (lack of skating, lack of progress, etc.)
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »
The judge was blind and deaf. I passed.
Lol! Can you send him or her my way if I ever get to test? I have a feeling I'll get tested by one of the judges who see me murdering various dances on a regular basis! :-\ Can't decide if that is a good thing or not... lol! :-X

Offline LilJen

• Total GOE: 56
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »

I hear you. And I don't want to be passed "just because I'm an adult." I find that I need what I call a "nerve cushion"--that is, the elements have to be a certain amount above passing to account for the nerves that kick in when the judges are LOOKING at you and scrutinizing everything you do!! If my nerve cushion isn't big enough, I don't test.