You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Surviving very busy skating sessions D:  (Read 5404 times)

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
Surviving very busy skating sessions D:
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
So frustrating, every skating session i have been to for the past few weeks has been extrememly busy - not with the general public but with school trips! Why does every school insist on booking a trip to the rink whenever i'm there to practise.
I might seem like an ice hog here but it's making me so mad that I have to try and practise on a rink that is full with 200+ people on..there literally is no room.
Because of this, I had to spend my half an hour lesson with my coach the other day doing simple stuff...as it was too dangerous to practise lutz and camel spins with the amount of people - that's sort of a waste of a valuable lesson, wasting my chance to progress..i don't think coach was happy about it either.

I'm just here to rant, any of you experience this? Stupid school trips taking over the rink with screaming kids/teenagers zooming around uncontrollably...i actually got told off by a teacher for almost hitting a kid when trying to practise camel spin  >:(
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Surviving very busy skating sessions D:
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
For us it's not school trips, it's the Scouts and daycare.  But they keep the rink open. Personally, I'd like to see rink guards who do their jobs. Someone on the forum had a rink with adult guards, that would be nice. No more hockey boys letting their teammates get away with crap.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
Some adult guards are just as lazy.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:40:47 AM »
Our rink has no rink guards at all, which i think is a bit bad as there's noone to control the speedy hockey players (which one crashed into me, knocking me over when doing a loop jump) and it's a bit dangerous to not have someone there monitoring the ice.
There was this woman that fell and knocked herself out, no one was there to pick her up..eventually one of the other skaters who showed up late had to go and get help... shows we really do need rink monitors/guards
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 114
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
At some rinks, most things like this are booked in advance. You can call the rink and ask if they have anything booked during a session.

Every time I run into this I wish I had called.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
Sometimes the freestyle sessions are worse! We've had numerous ice dancer/pair skating teams zinging around (many NOT watching where they are going) and hogging the music box...makes me feel like taking my chances with publics!   At least the kids move slower-less chance of a collision!  Monday there was 6 people on the public ice. Wednesdays are "camp days" for the rink and the public session is crowded with 2 bus loads of kids. 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »
I am always startled by the idea that anyone would attempt anything "figure skating" related on a public ice session ... which is an interesting "cultural norm". Coaches do not coach on public ice; figure skaters do not practice; it is just there for - leisure skating - which means, basically, skating around in circles, with maybe a spot nominally designated for tiny tinies (3 year olds) in the centre who can't skate without falling down.  Figure skaters skate on figure skating ice, or, on club ice - and that's it.  Figure skating ice requires a membership with Skate Canada, and is not offered everywhere - it's often hard to find at all.

If you want to figure skate, you join a club, you pay your dues to the club and Skate Canada, and you skate on their sessions based on their session requirements.  Outside skaters are pre-approved, must meet session requirements, must hold a Skate Canada or equivalent international membership - and can't just drop in ... school bus loads - NEVER! Only Skate Canada coaches can coach, and usually only the coaches under contract to the club can step on the ice ...

Jumps, spins, etc are not permitted on public ice. (yes, I know, there are exceptions in some rinks in Canada ...)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
when the ice is crowded dd does more moves in the field stuff - power pulls, stroking.  If she does other stuff she and her friends tend to make a circle around one of them and they take turns playing "contest".  It blocks the public from getting too close and they have fun inventing tasks.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
The guards at my rink don't really enforce anything unfortunately. Just chat with friends. It's been more hectic there since I decided to just scorekeep there since I'm working on finding a full time job outside my rink job. I was the "mean guard" because I enforced the rules. It's still hard for me to not guard when I'm there practicing but I can't because I'm not on the clock and don't have my jacket. Though I've been allowed to help get people off the ice so they can zam still. I have a very loud voice when necessary and can announce to get people off the ice with almost no effort. Thank you 7 years of classical voice training.

But I do tend to still check on people when they fall. Works in my favor, too, because people just think it's a figure skater being really nice. :)

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
I am always startled by the idea that anyone would attempt anything "figure skating" related on a public ice session ... which is an interesting "cultural norm". Coaches do not coach on public ice; figure skaters do not practice; it is just there for - leisure skating - which means, basically, skating around in circles, with maybe a spot nominally designated for tiny tinies (3 year olds) in the centre who can't skate without falling down.  Figure skaters skate on figure skating ice, or, on club ice - and that's it.  Figure skating ice requires a membership with Skate Canada, and is not offered everywhere - it's often hard to find at all.

If you want to figure skate, you join a club, you pay your dues to the club and Skate Canada, and you skate on their sessions based on their session requirements.  Outside skaters are pre-approved, must meet session requirements, must hold a Skate Canada or equivalent international membership - and can't just drop in ... school bus loads - NEVER! Only Skate Canada coaches can coach, and usually only the coaches under contract to the club can step on the ice ...

Jumps, spins, etc are not permitted on public ice. (yes, I know, there are exceptions in some rinks in Canada ...)

Problem is our rink doesn't go by the countries rules (UK) it's a privately owned rink so has it's own rules. Your not allowed on the freestyle sessions until a certain level (most skaters say its when you start landing doubles) so that's not an option for me (i'm still working on single lutz)
Also you can't join the rink figure skating club until your coach approves - and you can only join if you want to compete, provided you have a programme and everything. Again you have to be a certain level...they don't let lower level skaters on patch (even though ive seen a few kids skating around doing little one foot spins on patch - not exactly showing any high level skills)

I don't know how the candaian system works or anything (i'm from the UK) oh and my coach teaches my lessons on public ice..i had a terrible lesson on monday as I couldn't work on anything because of the amount of people in the rink :(
Working on...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
Your not allowed on the freestyle sessions until a certain level (most skaters say its when you start landing doubles) so that's not an option for me (i'm still working on single lutz)

What does the rink say it needs to be?  Don't just go by what most skaters say.
I think you need to not be scared to speak up to rink management. They might ignore you, or they might not know a problem exists until someone tells them.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
What does the rink say it needs to be?  Don't just go by what most skaters say.
I think you need to not be scared to speak up to rink management. They might ignore you, or they might not know a problem exists until someone tells them.

I would just feel so out of place asking, I know a girl who im good friends with at the rink, she's around the same level as me but working on flip and a few months ago she asked her coach if she could skate on pacth and her coach said 'i think it's a bit too early to be having that conversation'  so really meaning she's not ready for/hasn't got the requirement for patch, so i'm guessing i'll be the same :P
Working on...

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
I've noticed that in the winter public sessions are loaded with people ("hey it's cold outside, let's go where it's colder!") but the summer they are bare.  I've skated public a lot but never taken lessons on one.  It doesn't really bother me either way that public sessioners get in the way since they pay and I don't.   

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
("hey it's cold outside, let's go where it's colder!")    

Never understood that.  It is insanely hot right now- you'd think the rink would be packed...but it's not.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

Maybe it's a regional thing-in my area (of the Eastern US) it's very common to see coaches teaching privates on public sessions, and figure skaters (especially lower levels) practicing. It depends on costs (of publics vs. freestyle), availability of ice sessions (some freestyle sessions that area available when you are may not allow skaters of your level), and distance (the only rink open in the area only offers public sessions).

A good thing about practicing on public sessions (when they aren't a zoo)-it's good PR for the rink...I can't tell you how many times I have been approached (and I'm not high level by any means) by little girls asking "How can I do that?" And I promptly tell them they should sign up for lessons (when they are, how great they are, etc).  If skaters aren't able to practice on publics, then the public doesn't get to see the products of their classes/schools.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
A good thing about practicing on public sessions (when they aren't a zoo)-it's good PR for the rink...I can't tell you how many times I have been approached (and I'm not high level by any means) by little girls asking "How can I do that?" And I promptly tell them they should sign up for lessons (when they are, how great they are, etc).  If skaters aren't able to practice on publics, then the public doesn't get to see the products of their classes/schools.
I'm the 'new middle age' (60). Last week I was approached at a public session by a 10 year old boy(!) who said, "You make it look so easy." I of course told him he could take Learn to Skate on Saturday morning. The week before that there was the african american girl of about 12 who asked me if I was learning to ice dance. These are kids who are interested in skating, and I wish the rink could reach out to them. It's like some parents who don't come from a skating culture need a big huge sign that says "YOUR CHILD and YOU! CAN LEARN TO SKATE! Ask at the desk for a Learn to Skate Brochure."

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
I am always startled by the idea that anyone would attempt anything "figure skating" related on a public ice session ... which is an interesting "cultural norm". Coaches do not coach on public ice; figure skaters do not practice; it is just there for - leisure skating - which means, basically, skating around in circles, with maybe a spot nominally designated for tiny tinies (3 year olds) in the centre who can't skate without falling down.  Figure skaters skate on figure skating ice, or, on club ice - and that's it.

"Cultural norms" differ by country and rink.  At our rink private lessons are given to all levels on almost all public sessions except during the really crowded ones (think school or public holidays).  In the quieter weekday lunchtime sessions, inhabited by adult skaters, we usually have at least one senior lady, one senior man or one senior dance couple - and sometimes all three at once - being coached and doing full runthroughs (triple jumps and lifts included).  We all get to the side when they're doing runthroughs!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
"Cultural norms" differ by country and rink.  At our rink private lessons are given to all levels on almost all public sessions except during the really crowded ones (think school or public holidays).

I was also told that before freestyle sessions were introduced, figure skaters only had public sessions and that's a tradition to cone off the middle for them.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »
I am always startled by the idea that anyone would attempt anything "figure skating" related on a public ice session ... which is an interesting "cultural norm". Coaches do not coach on public ice; figure skaters do not practice; it is just there for - leisure skating - which means, basically, skating around in circles,
The Canadian system seems unnecessarily restrictive to me. When we were going on a trip to Canada a couple of years back we were going to take our skates, but after doing a bit of research decided that all the requirements made the idea of skating during our holiday just too difficult. It seems to be aimed at preventing anyone but the most dedicated from skating, which is a shame. But as aussieskater said, it's just a different 'cultural norm'.

When we were living in the UK I always had my private lessons on public sessions, albeit on quiet (usually) weekday morning ones. It would have been pointless for me to have a lesson on patch (freestyle), as I'd just have been in the way. And as others have experienced, I wasn't allowed on patch until I'd reached a certain level (nothing really advanced, just basic turns, back crossovers, bunny hops - but these had to be practiced on public sessions), and even then only on certain patch sessions, as they were divided by level - which was a problem for me because the free for all sessions were during working hours.

Now that I do have lessons on figure skating ice, I'm not entirely convinced I wouldn't be better off on public sessions, as I would probably feel less intimidated, as I'm not at a level where I can get away with being assertive about getting done what I need to do, even in a lesson, which means I give way to everyone and have to only practice things that can be confined to a very small area. I should add that the figure skating sessions at our rink aren't divided by level, so it's everyone from beginner through to people jumping, spinning, and doing dance and pairs. Of course, I can't get to the quieter public sessions during the day (even though I can almost wave to aussieskater at her rink from where I now work), so the question is academic.

But to return to the original poster's point, yes, I used to hate having quiet public sessions ruined by the appearance of school groups, particularly when they'd cone off part of the rink for broom ball as well. It's very frustrating. It used to be okay if they were all wall huggers, as I could then use the middle of the rink, but when they're throwing themselves across the width of the rink, usually flailing, that makes things more difficult. I did once just pay my coach and refuse to have a lesson under those circumstances, as I knew it would have been a waste of both our times.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
I completely agree about skating on freestyle sessions, I would feel intimidated if I was to skate doing single jumps, along side those doing doubles and even triple jumps - i would probably spend most the session hiding in the stands away from them :P
Maybe after I land an axel haha - need to get that silly lutz first :P

I should have just done that with my coach - paid him upfront for lesson that was going to be a waste of time. I practically missed half and hour of lesson on monday because of all the people skating about, it was impossible to work on anything! grrr..  >:(

However went skating at another rink for the first time today and it was fairly quiet, that put a smile on my face :D
Working on...

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »
Right now the rink is a bit more crowded than usual because of school holidays. Four weeks out from my first competition, it's not ideal training time. But it's only two weeks and tomorrow is the last day of holidays. I can deal. (Not to mention I've spent most of this week off the ice with a ligament strain - thankfully very minor. :sweat)

It's a grin-and-bear it situation sometimes. As someone else suggested, call ahead of time to check if anything's booked. When I used to skate public, the lady on the desk got to know me and what sessions I came, and she would always let me know if there was a school group coming or something.

When I did start skating, I always skated public. I was terrified of the freestyle ice. I used to go to the morning public - 10 am to 12. It was almost always empty, except Tuesdays when the ladies social group came (they love it, my coach leads the group!  :D) and on Thursdays when my coach would spend the entire two hour session giving private lessons - me, a 60-year-old ice dancer, and another lady. There was almost never anyone else on the ice, and it was FABULOUS.

In the end I switched to the freestyle sessions because of school holidays - the long summer break that time. And even though I had barely started my waltz jump at the time, I was never once intimidated by any of the other skaters. Even the skaters landing giant doubles would give way to me if I had right of way. It's a respect thing - I always show them respect, get out of their way etc, so they give it back in return and get out of the way of my piddly little salchows.  :D

I reckon you should kick up a stink at your rink. That they're restricting freestyle to that level blows bigtime. Tell them it'll cause high drop-out rates or make skaters defect to another rink because they can't improve on public ice and they're not allowed on freestyle.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 03:57:43 AM »

I reckon you should kick up a stink at your rink. That they're restricting freestyle to that level blows bigtime. Tell them it'll cause high drop-out rates or make skaters defect to another rink because they can't improve on public ice and they're not allowed on freestyle.

It's actually just the rinks way of making money, it's privately owned and apparently the owners greedy (some skaters who work there have to pay for their ice time, they wouldn't earn enough for exchange of ice time)
They don't go by the countries LTS course, they have their own, here in the UK there's 10 levels then another 3, then you are ready for official testing, at our rink you have to go through 30 levels (total of 32) to be allowed on freestyle..which means it would take you around 3 1/2 years just to start learning jumps...
...im glad I stuck with privates :P
Working on...

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 06:18:43 AM »
It's a respect thing - I always show them respect, get out of their way etc, so they give it back in return and get out of the way of my piddly little salchows.  :D
Unfortunatley it doesn't always work that way.