You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: taken aback...for real  (Read 2164 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
taken aback...for real
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
DD started a camp.  Lots of fun for her...but I don't think I'll hang out there.  I got asked how long has she been skating?  And its been a little over 2 years.  When I ask how long for thiers  its is also a little over 2 years.  Wow what a coincidence!  I did not really catch on until I saw a little girl about 7 or 8 doing some double or other.  She was so good I asked how old she is.  She is 6...Wow that is talent I thought.  Then another mom came over and told me that she's been 6 for the last 3 years.  Unfortunatly I did not catch on and I had told dd her new friend doing axel has been skating the same amount of time as she was...she told me that can't be because she told her she was taking lessons since she was 5 and now she's 10.  Yikes, i won't be going to this camp again.  I wonder if I can get my money back,  this place is so weird.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: taken aback...for real
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
Yikes, i won't be going to this camp again.  I wonder if I can get my money back,  this place is so weird.

Just because the Mom's are crazy doesn't mean the camp is bad.  How are the coaches and the other kids?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
i think its too soon to tell.  dd seems to like it.  and the mom who told me about the kid who is 6...9 seems normal

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Just bring something to read/do while she skates - or go for a walk, clean out your car, run errands, etc.  That's what I used to do when I didn't like the one-ups from the parents at the rink.  My daughter was always at the bottom rung of the skating ladder compared to the other skaters, so no one seemed to be too hard-pressed to play the one-up game with us, but the few times someone did, I just stayed away the next week, and sometimes for the entire session. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
ITA - if dd is having fun, just put headphones on and block out the moms.  :D 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
Thumbs up for keeping busy.  I used to do some of my "real" work while I semi-watched the girls' synchro practices.  Have laptop, will travel. 

I don't like to leave the rink, although I have run chores at times.  I always make sure my kids knew where I was going, when I'd be back and that they had my cell number.  It's more of an issue with little ones or kids who don't have buddies at the rink.  I've "rescued" more than one 7-year old who couldn't find mom/dad and started panicking.  Friends are a convenient distraction, but if they don't know anyone else, little kids get nervous.

I've also cleaned my car out while I wait - it's one of the few times where there aren't three or four skating bags in the trunk.
I pack a tote with my dustbuster, window cleaning stuff, and newspaper or paper towels and go to town once the kids are in the program.

One mom used to knit constantly and she stayed in to chat while she worked on her project.  (Heat and a/c is a good thing.)
I've done handwork (sewing trim, shortening skirts) on skating outfits and mended tights while I waited.

At day camps, they really don't expect the parents to stay and wait/watch. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
i like to come early so i can see an hour of it.  the whole day would bordering on psycho  ::>)