You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Advanced competition profile? Matrix Blades  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Advanced competition profile? Matrix Blades
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
I was reading/researching Jackson Ultima/Matrix Blades and in the information it is stated that the blades are either "Advanced competition profile" or "Intermediate profile" (matrix Legacy). I have no idea what this means and was wondering if anyone else did. ???
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
Re: Advanced competition profile? Matrix Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:47 AM »
From my research about the blades, i came to the conclusion that profile refers to the front of the blade as in toe pick positions and style and the spin rocker diameter. Legacy is similar to Coronation Ace, which is an intermediate blade with a more pronounced spin rocker, whereas the advanced profile  blade is more flat.  Also, toe pick design is different for both blades. 

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, it cleared it up. Based on this and other info I had, I decided to get the Matrix 2 Legacy blades. Should be fun getting used to a flatter rocker again!  :o

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
The idea of the "flatter" blade is not entirely true.  If you look at, say, a Gold Seal, which is definitely an "advanced" competition profile - the blade has an extremely aggressive rocker.  The coro Ace has a different rocker than a Coro Comet (which is quite flat) - yet, they are both intermediate blades.

The Legacy is closest to an Ace, which is not a flat blade; it's got a decent rocker. I know of many skaters who are very happy in them.

This "advanced" vs. Intermediate seems to be a Jackson thing; if you look at the Wilson blades that they are comparable with, they make reference to things like the toepicks (bigger as you move up in level); strength, etc.  Jackson "splits" the blades up into these levels, and they assign what we would usually consider as mid-range as Intermediate (Wilson CoroAce, CoroComet level); and everything above as "advanced" - (the Pattern 99, Gold Seal, Gold Star level.)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »
This "advanced" vs. Intermediate seems to be a Jackson thing; if you look at the Wilson blades that they are comparable with, they make reference to things like the toepicks (bigger as you move up in level); strength, etc.  Jackson "splits" the blades up into these levels, and they assign what we would usually consider as mid-range as Intermediate (Wilson CoroAce, CoroComet level); and everything above as "advanced" - (the Pattern 99, Gold Seal, Gold Star level.)

I think this whole thing is called "marketing" - everyone wants to think that they are "advanced"  ;)

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
Bottom line-the fitter did say they were an approximation of Coronation Aces...which will be good. I can adjust from the change in rocker, I'm thinking it will be easier for overall skating to go from the Aces 7' to the Legacy 8' except for spins. And since mine are broken anyway it's a moot point.

Offline Skate@Delaware

Advanced competition profile? Matrix Blades-Update
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
Well, my boots are in and the blades should be arriving either this morning or tomorrow morning. Now, I just need to get myself up there for fitting, mounting, heat-molding, & I'll (hopefully) be good to go!  I am expecting the boots to be extremely snug compared to my current boots (I can't feel the end of the boot) so I know that will be an adjustment.  I'm hoping that I can get some serious skating done once my one class (pediatrics level 2) is finished on Tuesday....cause I am skating in Skate Wilmington and I would really like to wear these skates lol!