You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate questions - fsf  (Read 5281 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Skate questions - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
LilJen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Skate questions
Posted: 06-02-2006, 02:07 PM

So, I think I've determined that I have the world's crummiest skates. I bought them secondhand several years ago. I guess they're better than rentals, but since I got back on the ice last week after several years off, I notice how mushy the boots feel and how un-solid the edges feel (could probably use a sharpening, and they're a bit rusty, and I can feel a few burs on them when I run my fingers across them). So, a few questions as I consider getting something different. Oh, and for background: Been on skates all my life (dad was and still is an avid hockey player) but have taken only a few lessons; I can do passable FO 3-turns, working on comfort with FI 3-turns, mohawks are inconsistent, crossovers need work, can do a halfway decent spiral, lunge, and a tiny but pretty comfortable feeling CCW waltz jump (the CW is feeling less steady, probably because I injured my left ankle a while back and I'm petrified of spraining it again). I'll be skating at least once a week but not much more often (rink is 45 minutes away).

1. I just happened to actually LOOK at the blade--it's an SLM, 9 1/3. I'm no expert, but isn't the rocker supposed to be smaller (7 to 8) for someone like me? Would the 9 1/3 account--well, even partly--for the fact that I can't spin more than 2 revolutions? Or would it not make much difference for someone of my ability?
2. I typically wear a women's 7 to 7.5 shoe; yet the size of these boots is 6 according to what's printed on the bottom. Is this typical, or are these boots just old?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! 

Mrs Redboots
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 06-02-2006, 02:13 PM

The 9 1/3 refers to the size of the blade - it's nothing to do with the rocker, which is a function of the type of blade, not its size. As for the size of your skates, that's more or less totally random - the names of shoe sizes in different countries bear absolutely no relation to one another, so it depends where your skates were made! And even then it's pretty random....

As and when you get some new ones, get them properly fitted by someone who knows what they are doing and who will measure your feet before producing a pair. 

icedancer2

Posted: 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJen 
1. I just happened to actually LOOK at the blade--it's an SLM, 9 1/3. I'm no expert, but isn't the rocker supposed to be smaller (7 to 8) for someone like me? Would the 9 1/3 account--well, even partly--for the fact that I can't spin more than 2 revolutions? Or would it not make much difference for someone of my ability?

I don't know what kind of blades an SLM is, BUT the 9 1/3 refers to the length of the blade and not the rocker.

Quote:
2. I typically wear a women's 7 to 7.5 shoe; yet the size of these boots is 6 according to what's printed on the bottom. Is this typical, or are these boots just old? 

This is typical, but it depends on the skate -- I think most skates run a size or so lower than regular street shoes.

Good luck and have fun skating!!! 

LilJen

Posted: 06-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Huh, interesting. 9 1/3 whats, I don't know, 'cause it's not inches from heel to blade. Oh well.

Also, a question I forgot to ask earlier: The rink guard said he has a collection of loaners that he doles out to skaters so they can test different boots/blades. Is this a crazy idea or is it a good one? I can see the virtue of trying a different boot or blade before buying, but is it a bad idea to wear something that's already been broken in by someone else's foot (though I suppose this is also true of rental skates)? I *definitely* need something stiffer in the boot department. 

Debbie S

Posted: 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Huh, interesting. 9 1/3 whats, I don't know, 'cause it's not inches from heel to blade. Oh well.

9 1/3 is the length of the blade in inches. It is based on the plate, meaning the part of the blade that is mounted on (and has physical contact with) the sole of the boot.

Quote:
Also, a question I forgot to ask earlier: The rink guard said he has a collection of loaners that he doles out to skaters so they can test different boots/blades. Is this a crazy idea or is it a good one?

Well, are these loaners in your size (and right width)? If not, you're not going to learn anything by wearing them, and you might injure yourself skating in improperly fitting skates and blades. Plus, if the skates have already been broken in, you won't get a good sense of exactly how stiff they are and how easy they are for someone at your level to break in.

Your best bet, as Mrs. Redboots said, is to go to a good fitter (ask the coaches, instructors, and skating parents at your rink for recommendations) who can measure your feet and put you in boots and blades that fit right and are appropriate for someone at your skating level. 

doubletoe

Posted: 06-02-2006, 03:37 PM

Proper fit is more important than anything else, so you could try on the right boot in the wrong size and it still wouldn't feel right. You can get a decent pair of Jacksons $200 with blade attached, and I'm sure there are a few other brands that have decent skates for that price. Getting a "good deal" isn't worth breaking an ankle over. 

LilJen

Posted: 06-02-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
9 1/3 is the length of the blade in inches. It is based on the plate, meaning the part of the blade that is mounted on (and has physical contact with) the sole of the boot. 

Wow, do I feel ignorant!! Thanks, Debbie S.

Obviously, I wouldn't use skates that didn't fit--sounds like rinkguard guy might bring in a few pairs to see what might fit best so I can give 'em a try. Thanks for the warning to avoid skating on something that doesn't fit right! The boots I have actually fit quite nicely--just not stiff enough.