You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: NEED HELP: Freestyle sessions in/near Seoul?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
NEED HELP: Freestyle sessions in/near Seoul?
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »
Next year I will be studying at Yonsei University in South Korea and I don't want to give up figure skating when I go. So far all the rinks I've found online seem to be geared towards really crowded public skating sessions which won't work for me.

Can anyone help? I also need to find a coach overseas, but my guess is that if I can find a rink with freestyle sessions I can find a coach through that rink.

I am leaving in July and I really want to get a sense of where I can skate before I go and I am forced to deal with a language barrier.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: NEED HELP: Freestyle sessions in/near Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »
I've just visited Seoul twice. I didn't skate while I was there as it was only for short business trips and there wasn't time. I did look into skating. The best one I found was at the University, although I couldn't find freestyle sessions. It looks to be all public. From what I read on the internet if you're skating out of peak times (eg not evenings / weekends) it should be relatively quiet. I also thought I'd spotted an American living in Seoul whose daughter was skating and taking lessons.
From my understanding ice time there is more geared towards speed skating, so quite possibly the only ice for figure skating is public.
However, I thought Yuna Kim used to train at the University rink (or at least she's registered as a student there).

Good luck in your hunt. If you do find a rink to go skate at let me know and if I have to go over again, I might take my skates next time.

I did find the subway system there really easy to navigate as they have the station signs transliterated into English and they all have station numbers as well as names, and arrows telling you what station is up and down the line. I didn't try the buses although I think you need to get a bus to the university rink.

I was told by work to always carry a sign in Korean with you saying where you're going to and where home is, so if you do ever get lost and need to ask directions you've got something for them to read.
But how exciting to spend a year studying there...

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
Next year I will be studying at Yonsei University in South Korea and I don't want to give up figure skating when I go. So far all the rinks I've found online seem to be geared towards really crowded public skating sessions which won't work for me.

Never been to Korea, but I studied in Beijing for awhile (not a full year though, sounds awesome!) and unfortunately that was the only option I had. I only went skating once and the crowded public sessions were the only option. The rink was open for something like 10-12 hours a day continuously with something like 1 zamboni cut in the AM and 1 in the PM. Group lessons were in one corner, private lessons were kind of scattered in the middle or wherever they could find room and the public skated in between. It was definitely crazy, but it worked for them.

Though I did just find this rink, probably not what you're looking for, but it looks so pretty especially in the evening pictures http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=686603

Offline TheAquarian

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
Well the hunt still continues.     I have a Korean room mate here in the USA  so I am going to see if I can get her to call the Korean Skating Union  to get some info on rinks with freestyle sessions and finding a coach.   The most famous rink that I've heard about is Mokdong which apparently has multiple rinks at the facility  and one person indicated that they had freestyle sessions but had never attended when I did an internet search...   It sounds like there may be some promise there, but I don't want to give up looking until I have some concrete information from someone who either skates there or a web site detailing a time schedule. : /

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »
Well the hunt still continues.     I have a Korean room mate here in the USA  so I am going to see if I can get her to call the Korean Skating Union  to get some info on rinks with freestyle sessions and finding a coach.   The most famous rink that I've heard about is Mokdong which apparently has multiple rinks at the facility  and one person indicated that they had freestyle sessions but had never attended when I did an internet search...   It sounds like there may be some promise there, but I don't want to give up looking until I have some concrete information from someone who either skates there or a web site detailing a time schedule. : /
I know someone whos kids are there right now, let me ask her
She is finding out for you as we post lol

Offline TheAquarian

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »
Awesome!    Let me know if she is able to find anything.  I've found one place that was highly recommended but it is an hour and a half away from my university. :(   It will be difficult to keep up with classes and skating with that kind of commute.