You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

How would you vote?

FOR
0 (0%)
AGAINST
5 (83.3%)
ABSTAIN
1 (16.7%)
Doesn't affect me/my skater
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 17, 2011, 12:36:35 PM

Author Topic: USFS is increasing its fees, June 2011  (Read 8484 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
USFS is increasing its fees, June 2011
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:02:01 AM »
This isn't official until voted on at the GC meeting. It's BIG news, IMHO. My club's members are going to scream bloody murder. What do you think?

Subject to the Governing Council’s ratification, this dues increase will become effective for this coming membership year as follows:

Proposed Membership Dues Increases
   Y1      Y2      Y3      Y4   
   Current      2012      2013      2014      2015   
   Regular Membership   
   First Family      $40       $50       $50       $50       $50    
   Sub Family      $15       $20       $20       $20       $20    
   Individual Membership
   First Family      $85       $120       $120       $120       $120    
   Sub Family      $40       $52       $52       $52       $52    
   Basic Skills Membership
   Basic Skills      $10       $12       $12       $12       $12    
   Synchronized Teams      $10       $25       $40       $50       $50    
   Theatre On Ice      $30       $30       $40       $50       $50    

Introductory member dues are not increased.
Collegiate member dues are not increased.
Collegiate club and school-affiliated member dues are not increased.
Select club dues are increased, beginning in Y1, as follows: 

Fewer than 100: no increase (remains $50)
100 but fewer than 200: $200
200 but fewer than 300: $300
300 but fewer than 400: $400
400 or more: $500
If ratified by the 2011 Governing Council, this dues structure will be in place for the next four years through the membership year ending June 30, 2015.

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
Re: USFS is increasing its fees, June 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Whoa!  As an individual member, I am screaming bloody murder already - $35 increase (over 40%)!!  I guess they want to "gently" encourage club memberships.

Hope this does not pass - not with that sort of increase.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Added table to original post (OP)

Thanks for the heads up!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
I saw this yesterday. I wish they'd let this be known earlier. My club decided to ask people to pay their renewal dues with their winter club ice package - club ice ends at the end of March and it is always pulling teeth to get members to pay their dues by the end of June....and then over the summer, our membership chair and our club treasurer get these panicked calls from parents demanding their memberships be processed ASAP b/c they want to sign up for a test or comp and the deadline is the next day.....so we thought we were being smart and saving ourselves grief by asking people to pay early. Quite a few people paid us their $40 - now we're screwed. It's going to be next-to-impossible to ask and expect members to pay us an extra $10, and we really can't increase the price for members who happen to renew after this - there would be an uproar. Sigh.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Whoa!  As an individual member, I am screaming bloody murder already - $35 increase (over 40%)!!  I guess they want to "gently" encourage club memberships.

Thanks for the fix, Isk8NYC!!

If anyone else agrees with Renatele, please find your delegate to the GC and urge them to vote no. Or tell them to vote yes if you agree with increased fees. Delegates really do need your input.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
WOW!  That's a huge increase!  The only purpose that could possible serve is to increase revenue and drive up Club membership counts.  The Synchro team fees are skyrocketing, too!

Interesting - No Introductory or Collegiate membership rate increase.

There should be an amendment to allow an Individual member to join for the first year under the Introductory membership category/rate, as they do now for Basic Skills members.

Whoa!  As an individual member, I am screaming bloody murder already - $35 increase (over 40%)!!  I guess they want to "gently" encourage club memberships.

This is a good opportunity for the ISI to make a move.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
Every skating club has one or more delegates that they can send to the Governing Council meeting to submit a proxy vote from your club as a whole on the various proposals. 

As Debbie explained, eligible club members MUST communicate with their delegates so they know how to vote on your behalf.  Many clubs will hold a general membership meeting beforehand to poll the members and find out how the majority wants the proxy votes to be submitted by the delegate.  I think Individual members can submit their votes directly.

(Debbie/drskater - if you can clarify/correct/enlighten us further, please do so.  You're more knowledgeable than I am about the process.)

The members' voting rights within the club vary based on your membership, for example, you can't vote at a Club that isn't the skater's Home Club.  Some types of membership are also restricted from voting, such as Associate, Junior and Collegiate.

2011 Governing Council
April 27-30, 2011
Westin Lombard Yorktown Center Lombard, IL 60148

http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=leadership&id=441

Clubs register their delegates, but observers can also attend if they register using the form on the website.  If you plan to become a delegate in the future, it's a good idea to go in advance so you understand the process.

The proposal document outlines all of the different proposals that are to be presented for a Governing Council vote.  In order to view all of the items, you must have a current USFSA Member ID to log into the MEMBERS ONLY site and view the document.

The 2011 "Requests for Action" isn't online as yet; last year's was posted in early April 2010, so we'll have to wait and see what else has been proposed.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
As Debbie explained, eligible club members MUST communicate with their delegates so they know how to vote on your behalf.  Many clubs will hold a general membership meeting beforehand to poll the members and find out how the majority wants the proxy votes to be submitted by the delegate.  I think Individual members can submit their votes directly.

(Debbie/drskater - if you can clarify/correct/enlighten us further, please do so.  You're more knowledgeable than I am about the process.)
Actually, it was drskater who mentioned GC, but I'll fill in what I know. :)

Many clubs don't send delegates to GC (ours isn't this year, we decided it was too expensive, but maybe next year - it's supposed to be in the Eastern Section somewhere) but if your club does, find them and express your opinion. If I were going, I'd want to know how our members wanted me to vote. If your club is assigning a proxy (delegate from another club) to vote on its behalf, let your board members know how you feel about various issues, and then hopefully, they'll share that with the proxy. If a club does not designate a proxy, then their votes are automatically ceded to the Board of Directors - and since many clubs don't go to GC, the BoD ends up with a huge block of votes, which means that most proposals end up passing.

Clubs can set their own rules about who votes at their meetings and such - I've never heard of clubs having a meeting to vote on GC proposals, but if you belong to one that does, definitely go. It's your chance to make your voice heard.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
Maybe they don't take a vote, they just solicit opinions.  It's usually held while I'm on the ice coaching group lessons, so I haven't gone to any since I moved.  The NJ club I belonged to back in the day did take a vote, but there were very items on the agenda.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
I'm not going to vote in the poll until I know why they want to raise fees so much - there may be a good reason for it. But I'm also an individual member at the moment, and it's definitely a big hike. Since I was already considering switching my membership to the club I'm coaching at most frequently, this might make that decision for me.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
I'm not going to vote in the poll until I know why they want to raise fees so much - there may be a good reason for it. But I'm also an individual member at the moment, and it's definitely a big hike. Since I was already considering switching my membership to the club I'm coaching at most frequently, this might make that decision for me.

Debbie S and IS8NYC explained the process beautifully. Thanks!
I would add (since I'm a delegate) it'll be interesting to see how they phrase the motion to increase fees. If they separate the votes for increase of Member-through club fees (i.e. regular membership) from the Independent Member increase, the latter is sure to sail through. If the motion is a collective fee increase, it may not pass--will probably end up amended IMHO. Actually, I only have one vote but I have a weird talent for parlimentary procedure, so I know there are lots of ways to modify the fee increase proposal.

But majority wins, and that's why members who feel strongly one way or the other need to speak up.

To help Mimi and others like her decide on the issue, I'm including the rationale sent to us club Presidents from the USFS:

For the past three years, U.S. Figure Skating has experienced budget shortfalls primarily due to the changing marketplace of television and sponsorship, and the dramatic and unanticipated economic downturn that began in September 2008. The 2010 Governing Council directed the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors and Finance Committee to address the revenue-to-expense budget variance and to develop policies, procedures and/or rules as appropriate related to fiscal planning and financial reporting (Item #139 of the 2009–10 Combined Report of Action). In response to the 2010 Governing Council’s directive, the board has prepared a four-year business plan that addresses the revenue-to-expense variance and provides a framework for financial management to guide U.S. Figure Skating for the four-year period from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2015.

To prepare the four-year plan, a working group of the board of directors began work last summer and undertook a thorough review of all current and foreseeable revenue sources and expenses, anticipated capital improvements, and all financial aspects of current programs, events and services. The working group also reviewed historical information, including U.S. Figure Skating actual financial performance for the period 2007–10; sponsorship history; history of U.S. Figure Skating dues increases; current dues structures of other NGBs; a financial overview of U.S. Figure Skating qualifying competitions; and ways to become more cost effective and reduce expenses. The working group presented a preliminary report to the board in November and its final proposal on Feb. 12.

I am writing you now to inform you that one essential item of the business plan will have an effect on your club planning—assuming the Governing Council ratifies the board’s action of Feb. 12. This item in the plan is a one-time dues increase (in most member categories) over the next four years. Subject to the Governing Council’s ratification, this dues increase will become effective for this coming membership year as follows:

PROPOSED DUES INCREASES

[snip]
If ratified by the 2011 Governing Council, this dues structure will be in place for the next four years through the membership year ending June 30, 2015. The four-year business plan does not contemplate any other member, team or club dues increase during this four-year period.

On behalf of the board of directors, we ask for your support of this action. The additional revenue generated will greatly assist U.S. Figure Skating in balancing the budget for the next four years and will allow us to continue to provide the programs and services we currently have at the same quality levels. I personally will participate in the vice presidents’ monthly calls in March to provide a general overview of the four-year business plan and to answer any questions you may have.

I want to thank you for the contributions you are making to your clubs, our sport and to U.S. Figure Skating. Your many contributions help make a difference and are greatly appreciated.

My best personal regards,

Pat St. Peter
President, U.S. Figure Skating

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
I have a note to add regarding the Introductory Memberships: their intent was to convert Basic Skills skaters to Club members by offering a one-time only discounted membership fee. 

However, two or three of my skating parents found that the conversion from Basic Skills to the Club was incomplete: their HOME CLUB setting was "USFSA," not our Club.  As a result, our computer system didn't recognize them as club members for competitions or testing - one had to pay for the higher "guest" fee when registering.  I'm sure that fee will be reimbursed, but it was a roadblock to registering the skater for the test session.

Someone knowledgeable indicated that the problem is that the USFSA's registration system doesn't "convert" the skater properly.  I don't know if that's true; maybe the registrations should have been put in as a "transfer" and we submitted them as "add new members?"

In any case, if your club has a number of Introductory members, it would be a good idea to take a look at their records to ensure accuracy and completeness.  ;)

This was noted in the 2011 Governing Council meeting book:

One way we are encouraging the use of the introductory membership is with the Plus 10 Award. U.S. Figure Skating is challenging our clubs to recruit and register at least 10 introductory members this season. Should they meet this goal, they will receive the new Plus 10 Award and special recognition. Ask them how they did it, I am sure they’d be glad to share.

I think our Club is eligible for 2010-11, but I suspect the award is for 2011-12, which is too bad - six of my students converted this year, so they won't be able to use the Introductory membership category next year.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:18 AM »
Another note: I just read this document on the USFSA's site: https://www.usfsaonline.org/Files/Introductory_Membership.pdf

New Membership rule to be added:
MR 5.XX Introductory Members will pay a fee as outlined below. Such members may join only as members of a member club; however members can change their home club in the course of a membership year in accordance with any rules governing such change.
A. First family introductory member dues are $25 per person.
1. The first family member will receive a membership card a and a subscription to SKATING magazine.
2. Each family must have at least one first family member.
B. Subsequent family member dues are $15 per person.
1. Subsequent family members are related persons permanently residing at the same address.
2. Subsequent family members will receive a membership card only.
Implementation date: July 1, 2010
This membership should be ready to go on June 1 when we roll into the new membership year.

I didn't realize there was a discount for additional family members when two or more join as Introductory members.  Something to keep in mind for next year.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:38 AM »
Why is it so expensive to be an individual member?  What does USFSA have to do for those members that they don't for club members?

Also- can graduate students take advantage of the 4-year collegiate membership?

As for the rate hike, the $10 extra for regular members does't seem too ridiculous...but I guess it depends if the club has to raise their rates too... it's already so expensive to join. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
Why is it so expensive to be an individual member?  What does USFSA have to do for those members that they don't for club members?

My guess is nothing, but some clubs are insanely expensive to join and there's no way to opt out of paying for ice time.... whether you use it or not.  That's the main reason I haven't joined mine, it just flat out costs too much.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
I guess it's so that they don't compete with clubs.

It's cheaper here to join a club than as an individual, but the club doesn't really have any "perks" vs being an individiual.  I think clubs are required to offer some ice time by USFSA so my current club has 1 hour per week. We have 1 test session per year, but I hear they are trying to up it to two- so most of us end up paying guest fees at other clubs anyhow.

My first year I joined as an individual because the closest club wasn't at my home rink, and it felt like it would be way too much of a hassle to find officers for signatures on test/competition forms when I didn't have any idea who they were.  I joined a club this time to save a little money, and because my rink finally has one- so I know who can sign things!

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »

Also- can graduate students take advantage of the 4-year collegiate membership?

As for the rate hike, the $10 extra for regular members does't seem too ridiculous...but I guess it depends if the club has to raise their rates too... it's already so expensive to join. 

IMHO, Individual memberships are more expensive in order to get people to join USFS through clubs. Clubs have representation at GC, where these rules are voted on, and have little to no incentive to help individual members.

I'm looking at my old Rulebook (2008): MR 11.01, Collegiate members don't seem to be divided by undergrad/grad status. However, scholarships are designated for undergrads. This may have changed.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
When I was an individual member, it included the usual card, magazine subscription, and insurance, but they also included an annual paper rulebook.  (The rulebook is still listed as a benefit on the USFSA site.)

We have a family membership through our Club, which includes cards, one magazine subscription and insurance, but we only distribute one rulebook/family, and only on request.  This year, the club switched to a CD/ROM instead of the paper version, which was fine with me.  The club membership is more expensive than the current individual membership  ($120 vs. $85).  My students who became introductory club members this year paid $70 each, even though the USFSA charge is only $25, but they will receive skater support for their testing and competitions. 

Clubs are run by volunteers who:
. Enter the membership additions/renewals
. Verify current enrollment
. Verify test/competition status
. Answer inquiries from those members
. Distribute rulebooks (paper or CD)

For individual members, the USFSA has to pay staff to do those functions, which increases expenses.  I know many adults who didn't want to get involved with a club because of the volunteer hours, cost and personalities, so they chose the individual membership route.  With club membership declining, the club costs increase, so maybe the USFSA does do want to drive people back into the clubs to keep them going.  Hopefully, there are plans to resolve the personality issues and the costs as well.

I don't think a USFSA Club is required to offer any ice time at all.  Our Club doesn't have any regular ice time, although they do host competitions, test sessions and special practice/evaluation events.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
Does individual still get a rulebook? I thought they stopped that when the rulebook was put online.
Our club has never offered members rulebooks, you only got one if you were an individual member. 

Interesting about the ice time- I remember it being a big deal with the club, because they didn't want to offer it (it's expensive to rent ice!)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
Hmmmm--did the "ice time" rule change or did it get more broadly interpreted to include test sessions, performances, etc.?

From my old (2008) RB:

"MR 6.09 [club obligations]: "Maintain current arrements during its normal skating season for the obtaining of ice time at a rink or other location where ice is available, for the exclusive use of the club. Either the club or the rink may run the session as long as it is exclusive to the club. [...]"

The club per se wouldn't have to host ice time for its members. The rink could do it, though most rinks like to make money and are loathe to forbid paying customers (i.e. non-club members) from getting on the ice.

I would be interested to know your clubs handle this requirement. :)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
I was just about to post a reference to MR 6.09 as well.  Clubs most certainly do have to provide ice time.  There is nothing that says specifically how much or how often, though.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
Quote from: 2010-11 USFSA Rulebook
MR 6.09 Maintain current arrangements during its normal skating season for the obtaining of ice time at a rink or other location where ice is available, for the exclusive use of the club. Either the club or rink may run the session as long as it is exclusive to the club. The club shall maintain a program for the use of its ice time which, as a general practice, provides for separate periods on a regular basis for one or more of the following: free skating, ice dancing, synchronized skating or other figure skating programs.

Our club doesn't have any weekly skating sessions and it's been that way since 2007, when they gave up their freestyle ice time to the synchro program.  All of our skaters use the rink's freestyle sessions on a regular basis.  The Club hosts competitions, test sessions and practices that are open to any USFSA members as well as a few program runthrough/evaluation sessions for club members only.  Come to think of it, they had an "open skate for club members" after some event; I thought it was just because they rented too much ice time, maybe it was for compliance, I dunno. 

The skaters paid a fee for the semi-annual runthrough/evaluation sessions and the flyer did say "members only." That's probably sufficient to comply with the rule.

There was a delegates ratio approved last year at the GC meeting.  The Individual Members in each section had to have delegates in proportion to the number of IM's.  Maybe that was part of the issue in raising IM fees - they may not have realized how many individual members existed.

I think requiring a skating session is a great idea, but getting everyone to be available for the same time every week is always a problem and you have to leave the option open for non-club skaters to fill the ice time.  Spending club funds on ice time that only some of the skaters can attend isn't really fair.

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
For individual members, the USFSA has to pay staff to do those functions, which increases expenses.  I know many adults who didn't want to get involved with a club because of the volunteer hours, cost and personalities, so they chose the individual membership route.

Exactly ... my club charges a $75 "ice monitor" fee. Either you work it off by monitoring sessions, or you pay the fee and never monitor. I always thought this was extremely biased against adult skaters, as we don't just marinate in the stands when they could be monitoring, like most parents - we're out on the ice, working!! Sigh.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
There isn't some other volunteer hours you could do?  That does seem very unfair.

(I once wanted to be in a club show where they required a parent to volunteer DURING the show.  I asked if I could help with set up or take down instead, but they said no, a parent must be available during the show.  My parents live 2,000 miles away :) so obviously, that wasn't going to happen.  I didn't do that show, which seemed really unfair, and I left the club.  Thankfully the other club I skated with was more than happy to let me volunteer with take down.)

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
There isn't some other volunteer hours you could do?  That does seem very unfair.

I didn't pursue it very far, but they seemed to think that I could stay another hour after my session was over to monitor.  88) A lot of the time, I was on very early afternoon sessions that had no monitor, so I "monitored" the session I was on by taking attendance and putting out the boom box.

My club is not very adult-friendly, sadly. They finally amended the injury waiver to say "Parent/Guardian/Adult (over 18) signature" instead of "Parent/Guardian signature".