You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Changing Laces  (Read 4097 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Changing Laces
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »
I recently had my blades adjusted/sharpened and the very-experienced fitter remarked on the boots' filthy nylon laces.  He chided me for using them and I admitted that I preferred cotton-poly but was too lazy to change them in three years of owning the skates since I'm not really skating as much as coaching.   

He said that he recommends using nylon laces for the first 20 hours of skating on new skates.  After that, he suggests switching to cotton-poly.  Since they had them in stock and he knew the right length (always an buying obstacle,) I now have clean laces on my skates.  (Also took care of cleaning/touching up/polishing the uppers and sno-sealing the soles.  They're up-to-date in their maintenance now!)

Does anyone else's fitter recommend switching laces after the initial break-in period?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Changing Laces
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
Not entirely on topic, but does anyone know what laces come in stock Riedell skates? And where can I get my hands on some in 108"?

I've never used nylon, always a blend. Just bought new pairs online, in what I thought was a blend and I hate them. If anyone wants 4 brand new pairs of A&R 108" white laces....let me know.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
My fitter had me keep the nylon laces on for break in, then I switched to the poly-cotton blend.  I like them much better!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »
No, I never heard this. I've had the same laces in boots for years.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »
Interesting- what's the rationale behind this?  I've seen people talk about lace types but I wasn't sure whether it was just personal preference or an actual difference in performance somehow.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »
No one has ever bothered to hype new laces to me. I guess they felt a need to sell you something. But the profit margin is so small.

Maybe it's just a first step in what he considers the right direction. Next time he will drop hints about a new pull-over. Then point out he could re-polish and re-Snow-Seal your boots, and embroider your name on it and your blade guards. And hope that your students all follow suit.

If the shop is that desperate for new business, they should just drop a little sand on the ice.  ::>)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
I've never used nylon, always a blend. Just bought new pairs online, in what I thought was a blend and I hate them. If anyone wants 4 brand new pairs of A&R 108" white laces....let me know.

My favorite laces are the Riedell brand. I always thought they were 100% cotton, but actually are a cotton poly blend.  I know Mike Cunningham at Skaters Paradise sells them.  Email him, from his website, and he'll do business by mail order if you can't get to his shop (in Southern MD).  I feel like someone else said that Rainbo used to have them.  Now that they're up and running again, it might be worth a phone call.

I've never heard a rec to change laces either, but, in thinking about it, the nylon ones may have more give, so may be better for break in?  The Cotton/poly ones slip a lot less, and I feel stay tighter.  Perhaps the rationale is that these will hold the boot better once break in is over?  I dunno.  I'm doing wild arm-waving movements.  I think it's personal preference.  The nylon ones always ripped up my hands, so if they come on my skates, I get rid of them as soon as humanly possible.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
The laces I just bought are cotton-poly Reidell brand.  I like them. I usually use the A&R brand because that's what our pro shop stocks but they've said they can order Reidell or Jackson laces when they place other orders so ask your pro shop.

It was time to change the laces anyway: the nylon ones were slipping off the hooks and causing me to retie almost as soon as I got on the ice.  I hated the nylon because of how they gave me cuts on my pinkies but again, I was l-a-z-y.  Instead of unlacing the old ones, I just took a scissor and cut them straight down the middle, pulling the short pieces from the eyelets quickly.  Saved so much time since I really don't have any use for dirty, worn-out laces.  (Too far gone for even macramé projects, lol.)

Query - you're mistaken.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
Did some googling on the Riedell laces. Riedell's website says they are a "spun poly nylon blend". Interesting. I thought for sure they were a cotton blend. Found some at skates.com that I think I'll order and see. I can check at the pro shop 45mins away at some point too. Local rinks don't sell figure skating stuff.

I usually change out my laces 2-3 times a year. They get stretched out and gray over time, plus it helps the skates stay tight. I've never actually broken a lace (knock on wood!), even when I had a slice across the boot tongue and laces it didn't rip. I need to replace the laces in my coaching skates too, they are super stretched out. They are so fun I hate to replace them (ombre dyed yellow/green/blue with green stones at the toe).

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
I have broken quite a few laces.  I doubt a pair could last me a whole year.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
@caraskates cool!  Photo?  Did you make them or buy them?

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
@caraskates cool!  Photo?  Did you make them or buy them?

Made them. Well, dyed the laces and stoned them.Trying to attach a photo...

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Fun!  Did the dye rub off on the leather at all?  Doesn't look like it.

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
Fun!  Did the dye rub off on the leather at all?  Doesn't look like it.

It did a little. Keep in mind I've had the skates like this for over 2yrs now. When I loosen the skate to take off, you can see faint yellow marks in a lace pattern on the tongue. This is a pretty beat up pair I use to teach LTS in so I don't mind!