You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ipad/ipod touch/iphone apps for skating  (Read 30032 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
ipad/ipod touch/iphone apps for skating
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:28 AM »
There is a related question for coaches on scheduling, I wonder what apps are useful for skater training specifically?

The only one on my phone right now is a simple time tracking app called My Work Clock. One click check-in and check out, using it to track when sharpening is due. What bothers me is most of the timesheet apps sums up hours based on fixed periods, at least this one can do annually instead of bi-weekly, sigh. (if you know a better, minimalistic app to track time, please let me know!)

I don't use phone for music and video, but guess those are common. Tips? :D
What about apps that track off-ice training?

Looking forward to creative ideas and interesting stories!!

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: ipad/ipod touch/iphone apps for skating
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »
So far I haven't seen any apps like this, it would great if they had them. I presume you mean for ipod touch/iphone? or just normal phone apps?

Anyway the closest app I found on my ipod touch for skating is to tick off when you learn a new move (it shows the level and when to learn the next move for that level) overall I don't think it's that useful

I'll have a search about, it would be good to have an app that tells me when to do off-ice training, as I tell myself I should do it everyday but end up forgetting or not bothering :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »
I don't have an iPhone (I use Android) so havent' checked out this app:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SK8Sports-Figure-Skating-iPhone-and-iTouch-App/146542928724540

Doesn't sound like what you're looking for, but might be interesting to take a look...

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SK8Sports-Figure-Skating-iPhone-and-iTouch-App/146542928724540

Doesn't sound like what you're looking for, but might be interesting to take a look...

I'll see if I can download it - providing it's free (probably not) :P
Looks alright, but it just mainly shows the basic skills and few more 'advanced' moves it says, isn't that really what a coach is for?
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Well jump or spin analysis would be great. Say tape your axel and compare it side by side with the sample axel jump stored in the app. Would be nice if a particular element is awol and you don't see the problem from just your jump. difficulties will include ensuring the same angle, same setup, and hopefully similar timing, but I can dream :-)

I have android too, smartphone in general please.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:03 AM »
think I'll pass on this app, it's $20. and I only have an iTouch. I can see it probably would be useful if I had an iPhone

-"record yourself and analyze with the SK8 Sports recorder" and it allows you to draw on the screen i.e. point out corrections.

If there was something for choreography that also incorporates your music (i.e. offers voice prompts) that would be something!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
I can't tell if sk8sports' $20 app is a one-time fee or if it's an annual subscription.  I have a Palm Pre, so I'm completely shut out, lol.  Still, if requirements change, the application should be updated.  The $20 is interesting: I think it's a good price point.  Much better than the $30 (plus "processing fees") that most figure skating-related organizations charge. 

I had thought this would be a coaches' application, because it was promoted on the PSA Facebook page.  I guess a coach with an iPhone could use it during lessons for the video portion, but the games aren't relevant.  As it turns out, it's for skaters who are willing to shell out $20 for a self-help tool.

The site does state that it's intended to augment lessons, not replace coaching.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »
I'm with Skate@Delaware, $20 is a lot more that I would spend.  The update/subscription issue raised by FigureSpins is a good one.  Another reason to pass on this app.  FWIW, I video examples of jumps that I don't do, so I can show my students.  The video capabilities on my iPhone 4 are awesome.
My glass is half full :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
Just messing around on my new iPad and I discovered a couple of apps that are meant for the iPhone/ipod touch. They apparently are meant to help coaches/parents score a routine.

Figure It - http://www.figureitapp.com

and
Sk8 Score! - http://cooltoolapps.appspot.com/sk8-score

There are no written reviews.

Mod note: Threads merged
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
Sk8sports put a note on their Facebook page that a free upgrade is now available.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SK8Sports-Figure-Skating-iPhone-and-iTouch-App/146542928724540

"Please update to newest version, free of charge for paid customers, to view videos."

"SK8Sports-Figure Skating iPhone and iTouch App

New improvements are now available on the sk8sports Iphone App! The sports analysis videos you take of your students may now be sent by email, posted on Facebook and also Youtube. Try it out today! How exciting to send a students first axel to the parent!"
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
My coach uses a golf app on the ipad.  It's kind of a poor man's dartfish.  It only works on jumps though because it has a short video analysis. 

You take a video with your iphone or ipad.  Then you open the app and get the video from your camera roll. Hit choose.  It decompresses the video and allows you to see the jump frame by frame. You can walk it through in slow motion forward and backward.  You can also use a line tool to show what angle your body is in the air.  There is also a oval and rectangle tool.  I suppose you could use those to highlight something.

The app is called iSwing and is $4.99.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:18 AM »
I have an app on my ipad (and iphone) called VideoPix.  It is a slow motion player on which you can select the rate of playback or go frame by frame. It is 99 cents and definitely worth it!  I use it a lot myself when I am trying to correct something right on the ice.
Also USFSA just put out a few apps out through Rink Tank Interactive- search for the app maker and all the released apps come up. 
I have not bought any, though, so can't comment on the content.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Wow, I haven't been on here for a long time. Anyway, apps, skating and Smart Phones, right?

I haven't come across a specific skating app for coaches but I did find a hard to get app called " FSCal" by allmax75 http://android-apps.com/applications/sports-applications/figure-skating-score-cal/# or http://www.appbrain.com/browse/dev/allmax75 http://www.androidsoftware.us/plus/download.php?open=0&aid=9386&cid=3

This is a great tool for planning your skating programs technically if you get marked with COP, IJS or in Canada CPC when competing. This allows you to figure out what your programs potential is technically. Although you can only choose between Men, Women, short and long. Because I skate in Canada Adult Bronze, I must choose the Womens short program of .8 when clicking on "Set Factor" for the PCS which is as close as I can get to how our Canadian PCS are for Adult Bronze to Adult Masters FS. In the US and abroad just choose the Women's long program "Set Factor" of 1.6 And then click in what your coach thinks/says your PCS across the board are. This will give you an idea of what kind of mark to expect sort of.
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

Ok, my coach has this app on her iPhone. She uses the Sports Recorder to video her students doing different elements (jumps/spins/etc).  You can play it back and zoom in, slow down etc. For that part, it's great! You can see what you are doing wrong/right...draw on the screen and see where you SHOULD have your different parts etc.

You can also watch different videos of elements as done by a skater and do the same thing. Still no side-by-side presentation though (that would best be seen on the iPad though). 

The videos are in high-resolution, which makes it nice.  Some elements are missing (I can't remember which ones).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
We like the sk8 app!  The only downfall is that is has mostly jumps and spins and some things aren't on it like stars.  There aren't many connecting or artistic moves.  But for a quick reference it is nice and easy to use.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
We like the sk8 app!  The only downfall is that is has mostly jumps and spins and some things aren't on it like stars.  There aren't many connecting or artistic moves.  But for a quick reference it is nice and easy to use.

What are "stars?"  And, only jumps and spins get points under the Scale of Values  ... at least in Canada - is it different in the US?

I am going to try to pull the Android app onto my Android phone, as it seems intriguing. Me, I generally take the planned program content for the kid's programs and put it into Excel, then, it is updated with the season's SOV.  It's pretty easy - and I can upload the Excel file on my husband's BlackBerry or my own Playbook and edit it there easily, if I don't feel like lugging my laptop around.  I don't play with the PCS, just do the technical point value.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
I'm not sure!  Dd did something in class that was called stars but she couldn't remember what it was!  So we thought to look it up and couldn't find it.

Another that was she had to learn were fouette turns on the ice.  It's not an ice skating element, but it's beautiful on the ice.  There are just "pretty" things that I'm sure don't count for points.  With the program you are really just getting standard jumps and spins.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Stars are toe-assisted three-turns done in a camel spin-like position, usually done into a camel spin (or arabian or butterfly...)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
Yes - that is it!  Anyway - they are not on the app.  :D  We saw some today in the men's programs.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
I just downloaded an app that I really like. Search for "US Figure Skating" in the app store and it will come up with all the versions they have. Looks like there's one for each category: Basic Skills, Adult, Freeskate, Dance, Artistry, Snowplow, Pairs, Synchro, Hockey, Special Olympics, and Speed. I'm in Adult 2, so I got the one called "Adult" and it's a neat little app. It costs $1.99 and for that you get a checklist of each required move for Adult 1-4, and when you click on the move, it starts a video demonstration. You can pause the video, or watch it in slow motion, which is useful.

I take it along to practice sessions, so I can remind myself what moves to work on and what they look like. Without it, I tend to skate around aimlessly, doing nothing but swizzles.

The only downside is there's no sound on the video, so you don't get any instructions--just a demonstration of the move. But for me, that's enough to remind me of what to do. With some moves, you get the beginner's version and the advanced version, and sometimes it will show the same move from different angles. All in all, I found it worth the $2.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
You should buy the Basic 1-8 app and start working on those skills.  Some of them you'll already know from the Adult levels, but there are a lot of gaps in the Adult curriculum, unless all you want to do is ice dancing.

The Mazurka demo on Basic 8 is spectacular and the slow motion replay is absolutely perfect! 
No bogus side toe hop or "turn on the toepick/bunny hop" imitation Mazurkas.

FWIW, a lot of the Basic Skills are also ISI skills, so you can use their "How To" descriptions for either LTS system.
http://www.metroedgefsc.org/page/show/241417-ice-skating-institute
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
You should buy the Basic 1-8 app and start working on those skills.  Some of them you'll already know from the Adult levels, but there are a lot of gaps in the Adult curriculum, unless all you want to do is ice dancing.
I'll consider that, thanks. Right now, I'm barely keeping up with the Adult skills, not sure I can add anything new to the mix without drowning, but once I'm a little more advanced, I'll talk to my instructor about going back and adding some Basic skills.  :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
I just downloaded an app that I really like. Search for "US Figure Skating" in the app store and it will come up with all the versions they have. Looks like there's one for each category: Basic Skills, Adult, Freeskate, Dance, Artistry, Snowplow, Pairs, Synchro, Hockey, Special Olympics, and Speed.

I bought the apps as well:  Basic 1-8, Adult 1-4, and Freeskate.  They helped me confirm that I do want to Freeskate and are making me lean toward taking Basic 1-8 rather than Adult 1-4.  And, I can take them to rink when I'm alone to remember what to practice.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
The USFSA curriculum charts are here: http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=47

(I know, not the same as a video, but handy to keep in your skate bag anyway.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
I know it was mentioned in other threads already, but metronome app works great for ice dance timing.

Anything off ice training for figure skaters?