You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Home Brewed Music?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
Home Brewed Music?
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
I'm going to preface this by saying that I have yet to compete, although I am certainly moving that direction.   Has anyone ever heard of skaters skating music that they either composed, played and recorded themselves, or otherwise played some role in creating?  

I've heard that generally speaking you're not supposed to use music that has lyrics unless you are ice dancing, however I find that I have a tendency to skate better when songs I like are playing on the sound system.   Lyric restrictions aside,  there are a number people that do not especially enjoy listening to foreign language music every day during practice, and I happen to be a huge fan of Korean pop.  Last night I had the idea to try and find a bunch of you tube videos with people playing K-Pop songs on real instruments,  attempt to isolate each one,  and mix them together for completely instrumental versions of some of my favorite songs.  

I am curious what people think of the idea.    Also, FYI, I enjoy taking odd approaches to EVERYTHING,  it's not just me trying to bend figure skating into something less traditional.

Here's a sample of what I managed to do in a couple hours last night.   It's by no means perfect (especially at the end - I was tired and just wanted to get a sample saved to show the artists),  but for a first attempt I think it shows a lot of promise.   I've spoken to some of the artists also, and I think they may be willing to provide me with some cleaner recordings in the future for better overall sound quality.

Thanks!

My Sample Mix (ft. Kim Yuna Clips): 

Note:  I do have permission from the performers to use their stuff so long as I give them credit or link to their original recordings.   There's not much of the original K-Pop song left in my MP3,  however I've included it as a point of reference.  

Original Song for Reference(not my version):  

You Tube Video #1 (Violin):  

You Tube Video #2 (Drums):

You Tube Video #3 (Piano):
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Home Brewed Music?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
I know there are a few elite skaters who are accomplished pianists (Bebe Liang, Armin long last name) and I want to say that I think both of them at some time have done exhibitions to music they recorded themselves.  (Many other skaters are also talented pianists- Nathan Chen comes to mind.  It's interesting just how much talent these kids have.)

Also- lyrics are allowed for lower levels of competition in the USFS now.  I forgot to look where you are from before I went to post though.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
I don't see why not, if the mix sounds good (and I like what you did in yours). At the elite level, Dmitri Dmitrenko used to skate to his own compositions...

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
I am in the USA for the next 2 months, then I will be in South Korea. :)
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:11 AM »
I know an adult skater who uses recording of her playing the piano for her programs.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
I love the music!

If you skate as well as you arrange videos, you will win gold.

I'm not an expert, I think you also need permission from the composer(s), not just the performers, and may need to pay them royalties. Many coaches are familiar with the requirements, and how they are best handled.

The videos you have posted should probably mention the copyrights. If I were a performer, and you used my performance in a video posted at Youtube, without asking first, and without giving credit in the video itself, I might not be inclined to give you permission to do anything. I don't know if that happened, I'm just mentioning there may be an etiquette here, on top of whatever legal issues exist.

The video sequences are undoubtedly copyrighted too, BTW, and it may not be OK to use them in a Youtube-posted video, unless you had permission.

"But everybody ignores copyrights on Youtube!" True, but...

Offline chriskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
You're super talented! Loved your music videos, and loved the final product with yuna's clips.
Absolutely amazing!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
I'm not an expert, I think you also need permission from the composer(s),
that's the beauty of using classical music....the original compose is long dead and if you use music in the public domain...well no worries there!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!