You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: US Adult Nationals Location Question  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 13
US Adult Nationals Location Question
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
Where I'm coming from - I live on the East Coast and didn't qualify for ANs until the summer after it was held in Lake Placid in 2008.  I attended and had a blast.  I've looked forward to competing at ANs for the last four years.  I thought it would be in LP again next year, as the pattern has been every four years, but that was not to be. 

Since then, ANs has been in Salt Lake City, and now with the Chicago area being named as the site for 2012, ANs will be held in the northern midwest for 3 years in a row.  I met someone this week who told me there are more adult skaters in the northern midwest than anywhere else in the country.  Many of these skaters don't want to attend ANs unless they can drive, so that' s why the 3 year northern midwest dominance.  Could that be true?  If not, why then is ANs not held in other parts of the country?   I understand that not all rinks in all areas of the country can bid.  But 3 years is a bit more than a coincidence, I'm thinking.   Which of course can be dangerous.  ; )

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: US Adult Nationals Location Question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
I live in the general vicinity of Chicago, and so am thrilled that ANs is going to be there.  I went to Salt Lake City last year, though, and don't in any way consider that to be the "northern midwest".  It's certainly not in the Upper Great Lakes region.  I couldn't possibly have driven there, given work constraints.  So I don't agree that ANs has been in the same area of the country 3 years running.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
Adult Nationals has been held in Lake Placid multiple times (2000, 2004, 2008).  That's more than any location other than Michigan (4 times by my count, but I don't know if that was all the same club.)
I don't think there are that many bids each year for locations, so if you really want it near you, getting your club to bid is a great start!  

I also don't think Utah is midwest.  I think it is pretty firmly "West".  USFSA considers it part of the Pacific Coasts section, so that means Nationals HAS been rotating between different sections.  
I don't know if it is true that there are the most skaters in the upper mids section, but you are right it tends to be there quite a bit.  Maybe that just means it is an area that has the clubs with multi-ice surfaces who are willing to do the work?

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
Opps, sorry, I should have done my research before posting.  I thought ANs was in Salt Lake City in 2009. 

Still, this person told me ANs is in the northern midwest because most of the Adult Skaters live in the northern midwest and don't like to travel to ANs.  That's what I was really questioning.  Are most adult skaters in the northern midwest?  And if so, do they have that much clout, as I was told they do?   

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
I think it's more about ability and willingness to host.  I have no statistics, but I will say that that area of the US seems to have stronger adult skating programs and presence.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
It's all about the bids.  Basically, SLC was the ONLY Pac Coast Section bid since Oakland and they seem to be the only PCS club that has reasonable enough ice costs to host.  Chicago has already hosted and the same organization (Greater Illinois Figure Skating Council) is hosting again.  Since the timing is rather short between the announcement and ANs and the organization seemed good the last time, it makes sense.  Supposedly there were 3 bids.  LP supposedly only gets tapped on the shoulder when there are no bids.

Grand Rapids bid, Ann Arbor has bid and so on.

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
It's all about the bids.  Basically, SLC was the ONLY Pac Coast Section bid since Oakland and they seem to be the only PCS club that has reasonable enough ice costs to host.  Chicago has already hosted and the same organization (Greater Illinois Figure Skating Council) is hosting again.  Since the timing is rather short between the announcement and ANs and the organization seemed good the last time, it makes sense.  Supposedly there were 3 bids.  LP supposedly only gets tapped on the shoulder when there are no bids.

Grand Rapids bid, Ann Arbor has bid and so on.

Thanks!   I had heard through the grapevine that LP did not bid for 2012, so your explanation makes sense.