You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Whitening Skates  (Read 2106 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Whitening Skates
« on: November 07, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »
Tomorrow (the 8th) is on my reminder calendar (and skatingforums') for taking care of my skates.  They're an expensive investment so I've learned that neglecting them is pricey.  This month, they need sharpening.  Have to make an appt.

One of the video sites I follow is a talented man whose hobby is buying broken, rusted metal toys from the 1930's through 1960's and restoring them to near-original condition.  Very satisfying to watch.  A great trick these restorers use is whitening yellowed plastic parts with UV light and hydrogen peroxide or hair lightener.  Tried it on a few old things myself, using summer sunlight for my UV light source and it works great!

Thinking about old ice skates and wondering what the hair lightening stuff would do to leather boots.  What do others think? 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Whitening Skates
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 04:08:28 PM »
My guess is it would break the leather down, creating cracks, etc.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 04:59:56 PM »
Some people use shoe polish. Riedell sells a polish made for skate boots. Don't know how well it works on other brands.

E.g.,
  https://www.ice.riedellskates.com/skate-care
  https://shop.kinziescloset.com/Riedell-Liquid-Boot-Polish-Riedell-Boot-Polish.htm
  https://www.amazon.com/Riedell-Figure-Skate-Shoe-Polish/dp/B07BVPNWWX

But it's complicated, because many boot makers apply a "clear coat" over the original polish, that you have to remove first. I think Riedell also sold a primer to be used under the original polish. And maybe you should re-apply a clear coat over the polish?? I'm not very experienced at refinishing skate boots, so can't help.

And you probably shouldn't do anything to suede other than clean it.

I often use boot covers to reduce wear on the leather in the first place. And as I'm sure you know, some skaters use tape, or a type of skating tights which partially covers the top of the skate.

I've never used tape that way, but Here are instructions from a reputable skate tech on how to tape boots neatly to look nice.

These things obviously reduce breathability.

I admit I can't speak to the specific treatment you suggest. But, like you said they are an expensive investment, that you might hate to ruin. Perhaps you might try any treatment out on a throw-away pair, e.g., from the thrift store or skates that are completely broken down first?

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 08:50:40 AM »
One of the video sites I follow is a talented man whose hobby is buying broken, rusted metal toys from the 1930's through 1960's and restoring them to near-original condition.  Very satisfying to watch.  A great trick these restorers use is whitening yellowed plastic parts with UV light and hydrogen peroxide or hair lightener.  Tried it on a few old things myself, using summer sunlight for my UV light source and it works great!

Thinking about old ice skates and wondering what the hair lightening stuff would do to leather boots.  What do others think?
UV light and strong oxidizers, both separately and in combination, degrade many polymer materials.  E.g., prolonged exposure can cause embrittlement of many plastics.  If you have discolored decorative items (items that are not subjected to repeated stress under functional use), and you prefer to bleach them, rather than paint them, to improve their cosmetic appearance, then OK.  But for leather skate boots (especially if you plan to use them), you'd be better off with polish, paint, or dye.  Also, whether UV light and oxidizers will properly bleach the specific discolored paint or dye on your boots needs to be tested (on a small spot first).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »
Thanks tstop4me and MCsAngel2 - it was just a curiosity question for my own knowledge.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »
I have found that most of the skate polishes work on most of the leather skates—I use Harlick boot polish to touch up all of the leather skates that I sharpen. Sometimes I add a little color to it if the boots I’m touching up are closer to ivory than white. I have tan polish for my own boots, and a little tan mixed into the bright white tones it down nicely.  According to Harlick, it’s actually acrylic paint, so the colors mix well.  I’ve been able to keep my boots looking great for years by touching it the hacked up and worn areas.

There was a period of time, maybe around 2010, when both Riedell and Jackson were having issues with dye migrating out of the foam padding on their mid-level instructional boots. It shows the most along the stitching lines where the leather is perforated and in contact with the foam. I’ve had reasonably good luck camouflaging this on several pairs of boots that have been handed down from skater to skater. First I clean the boot thoroughly and remove the laces, then apply sports shoe whitening treatment in layers, especially along the seams. It soaks into the thread and helps hide the discoloration, and also covers the stained leather. Eventually it will wear off, faster on the tongue and around the laces due to more rubbing. Still, it is a huge upgrade in appearance. After it’s dry and I’m satisfied with the coverage, I apply some clear shine polish with one of those instant polish sponges to give it some sheen (the sports shoe treatment has a matte finish).  So far, it has lasted about a year between treatments.  Some kids don’t care, but generally no one wants to be the kid with the weird peach-colored skates.

I have not noted any signs of damage to the leather from this treatment, and seeing that it eventually wears off, it appears to be a safe and reversible cosmetic fix.