You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate lacing - fsf  (Read 4236 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Skate lacing - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
Mel1977
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Skate lacing
Posted: 01-11-2003, 11:48 AM

I have an interesting problem. I just got new SP-Teri Super Deluxe skates and have been having problem lacing them. The skates came with nylon laces that were way to short, so for a month I couldn't get through a program without my skate popping open. Then I ordered some nylon-cotton blend laces, 120 inch (the longest I can find) and they are still too short. I have to leave a hook open in order to have enough left to tie. If I tie them really tight, they are long enough, but I can't been my knees or ankles at all, and it really starts to hurt.
Have any of you experienced this. My skates are a 9C, and for some reason I have 5 hooks, and everyone else I know only has 4. Where can I get laces longer than 120"
HELP!  

garyc254
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 01-11-2003, 03:48 PM

I've got SP Teri's size 11-1/2 and 120 inch laces fit okay. You do need to lace your boots tight in order to get enough lace to tie. After your boots break in, the leather will pull into place and you'll have no trouble lacing them.

For now, so that you can bend, leave the top hooks open. SP Teri's are extremely stiff at first.

I had very little lace to tie when I first got mine, but now I have lace enough to go around the back if I needed to, just because the leather has finally formed.  

Elsy2

Posted: 01-11-2003, 04:17 PM

I ran downstairs to count my hooks, and yes, I have 4 hooks (and eleven holes) on my 8 1/2 SP-teris, but they are about 3 years old. I suppose I would try skipping the top holes for now, and the top hooks until they mold better to your feet. 120 is the longest lace I've ever used, and they should stretch over time too. In fact, I have never used the top hooks on mine.  

d b n y

Posted: 01-11-2003, 04:37 PM

While you are not wearing your skates, lace them up as tightly as possible and tie them that way. The edges of the boots where the laces go through are very stiff and need to be pulled in more, and this will help. It will also help stretch the laces.