You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Summer Off-Ice Training  (Read 2778 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Summer Off-Ice Training
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
I skate (well, coach) year-round, so I keep cool all summer but I increase my activity as time is more available in the hotter months.  To stay active, I use my fitness club membership or take a course like dance, Fitness Pump, fencing.

This year, I felt like I was in a rut, so I joined My Peak Fitness.  (It's less expensive than WW and half the money goes to blood cancer charity, so it's okay.) All online with printable pdfs for reference and a private Facebook group for support. You can work out at a gym or DIY at home, no worries.

I like it so far!  It has structure with flexibility and independence.  There are workouts and (optional) menus for each day and it goes in Challenge cycles, so I don't have to think about what to do and eat as much.  I like the Challenge cycles and the laddering drills they use.  I copy-and-paste the workouts into my Dropbox list tool, so I'm not killing trees and I can access the info at home or the gym.

What's everyone else doing for the summer?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Summer Off-Ice Training
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
Chasing and taxiing my kids!  But seriously I need to do something; since I blew out my knee in December, I'm a bit afraid of running.  I've been looking at cross-fit but here in my city it's 60 Euros a month (IF I commit to 2 years) seems awfully expensive (like just about the same as skating expensive!).  What do you all think?

Offline masterblaster

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 6
Re: Summer Off-Ice Training
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
So far, I've just been learning to roller skate outside, which is a...................whole new adventure.

I'm thinking of doing some barre exercises too, just at home. I will probably do some leisure swimming as the weather gets hotter. I don't swim laps, but I love climbing out of the pool and diving and climbing out and diving, rinse, repeat until I'm exhausted. Must be good for the core if nothing else, plus it makes the adrenaline junkie in me happy.

I hate anything formal or in a class (except skating) so I can't speak to CrossFit, but I know lots of people love it.