You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Insight on skates for newbie  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Jacquiejj

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Love to Skate!
Insight on skates for newbie
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »
I am an adult skater just returning to the sport. I recently purchased a pair of jackson elle fusions online due to no pro shops in my area. I gave my measurements and it was recommended that i get a size 10 C/D. I haven't recieved the skates yet but should arrive this week.  My concern is the size ordered. I am nervous because i realize that my current low level skates are too big and also a size 10. These are reidell opal 110. This is a cheap skate so i am hoping that this is the reason they don't fit great. But if they are a 10 does that mean the jacksons will be to big too. Also when I ordered my jacksons i looked at the old elle model vs the new elle fusion. I really liked the description better of the elle over t he elle fusion but again was told to get the elle fusion. Does anyone know the difference between the old elle and new elle? I am worried i just wasted time buying the wrong size again and the wrong elle? Any thoughts for this old newbie?

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Insight on skates for newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
The main differences are that the old Elle was made with a leather upper and had an LCL (leather-cork-leather) heel and sole.  The new Elle is made with a micro fiber upper and a nylon synthetic heel and sole.  Easier maintenance, lighter weight, visually better in person than in pictures.  The old Elle also came in more width choices, A, B, C, D while the new Fusion is R(A/B) and W(C/D).  The Elle is a pretty soft (not stiff) boot and, for an adult may not have enough support depending on what skills you're working on.  The next model up is the Freestyle Fusion which is stiffer and might be better for an adult skater.  Another choice is the Debut Fusion (boot only) model, that comes in two stiffnesses.  You really should get to a fitter, even if it's a chore.  It's the only way to get a good fit that would include the heat molding and blade adjustments.

As far as fit, my young daughter went from the Elle right into the Debut Fusion Standard with no fit issues at all.  Boots were heat molded, but no other adjustments were necessary.

Offline Jacquiejj

• Rink Rat
  • Love to Skate!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately there are no fitters in my city. I am basically a recreational skater. I skated when i was in my late teens and was injured on the ice by another skater which led to a knee surgery. I never thought i would skate again. Then my teen daughter showed interest which sparked up my old skater excitement. I didn't think i could physically skate again due to my bad knee from old injury, my age and heavier weight. But to my surprise when i stepped on the ice with her after 20 years, I could skate. So now we skate 2 to 3 times a week for about 3 t o 4 hours each time. I won't ever do jumps or anything advanced but i would like to be comfortable and improve my skills. So choosing the elle was a comfort decision. I'm worried i made the wrong choice.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Because they are soft they should be pretty comfortable for recreational use if you got the right size.  I know that most places that sell online have restocking fees for Jackson boots that are 15-20%, but if you exchange for a different size if it doesn't fit maybe those are waived.  Also know that the old Elle's are discontinued now and might be available at a discount, though usually sales on discontinued models are final so you'd have to be sure of the size.  Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Offline Jacquiejj

• Rink Rat
  • Love to Skate!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Thank you again. Yes the discontinued elles were final sale so tthat is the main reason i went with the fusion. I was confused though because i gave my measurements and they recommended the size 10. I ordered through kenzie's closet. My current skates are a 10 and the lady i talked too explained why my current skates were too big but then reccomended the same size, so i am so confused by that? Is it possible that because the jackson is a better boot then what i have, the 10 in jackson will fit better then the current 10 in low quality boot? Or did they stear me wrong?

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
Each boot mfg. fits differently for the same nominal size.  The charts show that a Riedell Ladies 10 fits a foot of 10 7/8, a Jackson 10 fits a 10 9/16 foot (slightly smaller).  The widths are also different as the lasts are of different shapes.  Some feet fit Riedell (my daughter couldn't stand the Riedell fit) and some fit Jackson (or Risport, Edea...). If you gave them the measurements and they recommended the size and it doesn't fit you should definitely be able to exchange.  I checked and for exchange Kinzie's charges a 5% fee, about $13 on those Elle's, so worth it to get the right size.  You really don't know until you try them on.  I'm sorry there aren't any shops near you.  I live in a MAJOR metro area with many elite skaters and we really have only 1 good pro shop, and they don't stock much at all (they stock the Elle in almost every size, It's a great boot) so we order and try, order and try.  So far we've been very lucky.

Offline Jacquiejj

• Rink Rat
  • Love to Skate!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »
Good information i sure appreciate it! I am hoping it will be perfect. I don't want to wait any longer, I just want to skate. I'm hoping by me giving my measurements they were correct on their recommendations.