You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Any possibility for ratemyskatingcoaches.com ?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Any possibility for ratemyskatingcoaches.com ?
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
Right after posting the "If I run my rink's website" thread, I realize how wonderful would it be to have an independent site that allows skaters to rate their coaches. I liked ratemyprofessors.com a lot in my college years, seems somewhat accurate. Would probably be helpful to find great local coaches when someone relocates! Ideas? ;D

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Any possibility for ratemyskatingcoaches.com ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »
Ratemyprofessor is, at times, overrun with malcontents and trolls, so I don't find most of the reviews useful.  I work for a University and was researching our "competitors" to see what was being said about their classes.  "Boring" was the single most common remark for many of the professors.  I would expect an engineering professor to be less than entertaining...maybe they should learn to juggle, lol.

I don't think that an anonymous coach rating site would be useful, especially given the dramatics that accompany figure skating.  We've seen posts on the board in the past, praising new coaches to high heavens for a short time, then bad-mouthing them later after things didn't work out.  Plus, it wouldn't help anyone just starting out because they wouldn't be able to find it.  Look how few people know about this site, which has been a mainstay since 2002.

So, I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the value such a site would bring to figure skating.  It would open the door for more mockery and pranks, imo, without professional moderation and control.

However, I do think a professional survey-based evaluation, such as the Princeton Review provides for colleges, would be useful.  If we could keep out posers and troublemakers from completing the anonymous survey, that would be the best solution.

I just received a survey request from the USFSA, asking for feedback about the Synchro Sectionals competition I attended last week.  I haven't responded yet, but it might be a template to consider.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »

I don't think that an anonymous coach rating site would be useful, especially given the dramatics that accompany figure skating. 

So, I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the value such a site would bring to figure skating.  It would open the door for more mockery and pranks.

quote snipped

I completely agree that it would be full of trolls.    If lobby chat wasn't bad enough, making it anonymous on the internet would be 1000 times worse.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
LOL thank you, I rest my case ;)