You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Identifying promise and potential  (Read 6864 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Identifying promise and potential
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
Okay, a number of you will recognize this question from FSU (yes, I stole it). At the same time, I’ve been wondering about this issue for a long time.  How can you tell (if you even can tell) what skaters will pursue figure skating?

I’m not a coach. However, I teach tots and sometimes serve as the coach’s assistant for our rink’s bridge classes. I also try to recruit kids to our figure skating club, so I always have an eye for a potential figure skater. I’m not looking for a future star or champion—just a kid who might have some promise for figure skating.

In my experience there is not a single, universal factor that points to a child’s (or adult’s) future in figure skating.  There are some clues:

1.   Willingness to try and enjoyment of making the effort
2.   Courage, spice, fire, confidence
3.   An ineffable skating “intelligence” (maybe this is body awareness or control)
4.   Purchase of real figure skates
5.   Comes to the rink more than once a week

I always talk to parents about how their kids their kids are doing in my classes. If I get  even a whiff of interest in pursuing figure skating, I try to encourage it.

How about you? Any insights or stories?

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: Identifying promise and potential
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
I think number 1 is the most important of all.  Even the most talented skater will quit if they do not enjoy making the effort.  The process itself must be rewarding.  I think this is true for all skills that take time and effort to develop.

Years ago, I spotted a boy, 2nd grader, I think, in DD's group, who was a natural.  I hadn't been at the rink for her group previously, so this was the first time I had seen him. I chatted with his mom a while and said he seemed to be talented.  When I mentioned him to my DD, she threw up her hands, and told me that he never paid attention and hadn't learned anything at all from the class.  The next year he was in hockey skates.

After years of coaching, I've decided that almost any child who works hard enough and sticks to it, can become an accomplished skater, meaning pass Sr. MIF.  Being a successful competitor is another thing altogether.  On YouTube recently, I came across a young skater who I think could make it at least to the national scene if all goes well.  I've watched all of the videos of her and you can see her talent and the development of it over the 4 years covered.  Apparent in the earliest one, at the age of 6, is her sense of timing, her natural poise, and her love of skating.  It just gets better.
She also seems to have a pretty well grounded mom.  Search YouTube for Gia Kokotakis if you want to see what I am talking about.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
I think practicing hard and wanting to practice as much as possible is a good indicator. For some kids skating's just what they do- they don't love it. So they practice stuff they like and play with their friends. For some kids, they're completely obsessed with skating and just want to practice practice practice all the time.

I think #5 is not really a good indicator, because the kid might want to skate more but the parents won't allow it. I skated once a week for more than 18 months before I started skating twice a week. My normal schedule is still twice a week, for a couple hours each time- I'm also a once-a-week lesson taker. All of that points to me being a recreational skater, considering my level, but I do not skate recreationally. Far from it.

Talking to the parents seems to be the best thing to do for kids who obviously love it. It seems like my mom is much more interested and open to certain things after coach has talked to her. Magic coach influence.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
I guess it would depend on what you mean by promise and potential.Do you mean pass Sr fs and  moves? Do you mean go to Nats? Do  you mean test and end up coaching?Do you mean keep skating for their whole lives?
I think the number one thing is the desire to keep skating even when its boring, hard and you get stuck on something.My DD has skated 8 years next month.We have watched the  oh she has an axle at age 6, she won  this comp, she placed well at regionals kids come, and then go.
You can have potential but if you dont have the drive it doesnt matter.
On the promise side I think presentation at an early age is helpful.Not everyone can sell their program.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
It takes all of those things and I also think a certain personality -- persistence, and the support of parents (for a child)-- there is a lot of commitment involved on the part of the parents too and some are just not willing to support it time or money wise.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
I think a healthy lack of fear, accompanied by an ability to learn and follow directions are key starting points.

If there's some dedication and determination, that rounds out the "attitude" side of things nicely.

Physically, I think body control, core strength and knowing left from right are vital indicators of promise, lol.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:40:29 AM »
I think a healthy lack of fear, accompanied by an ability to learn and follow directions are key starting points.

If there's some dedication and determination, that rounds out the "attitude" side of things nicely.

Physically, I think body control, core strength and knowing left from right are vital indicators of promise, lol.

So true on the lack of fear...both my younger dd's skated, but only the youngest really didn't have the fear of hitting the ice hard....she is now working on double double combinations and double axel and hits the ice plenty-  she doesn't bat an eye.   My other dd, you could SEE the fear in her face, even on single lutz...she didn't stick with it.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
If you're talking about being competitive and qualifying for national competitions one day, I don't think anyone can identify "promise and potential".  I think it's more about identifying commitment, drive and determination.  In fact, I think just about anyone can be taught the basics.  It's getting double axels and triples where promise and potential may come into play.  If a skater starts landing double axels and triples, I'd say that skater has potential.  There's a reason why the numbers drop dramatically in USFSA when the skater reaches Int/Novice levels. 

However, if you talking about identifying promise and potential for a skater to stay in the sport for a lifetime and enjoy regardless of the skills they obtain - I'd say someone around 12 or 13 who absolutely has a passion for skating and will do whatever it takes to find the resources to skate.  I read an article a few years ago that discussed burn out in child athletes.  The average age is between 12 and 14.  Regardless of the talent of the the child athlete, if they aren't fulfilled emotionally, they typically will switch sports or find another passion.  The sport or passion they pick typically becomes the one they continue to have passion for throughout their lives.  This is especially true of what is now called the "one-sport" athlete.

If the child has been participating in multiple sports throughout their childhood, it's around this age they "specialize" - or at the very least, acquire an understanding of what they are better at.  In skating, we're lucky.  We have different, VERY different disciplines to choose from.  Many talented skaters will have dabbled in singles, synchro, dance and pairs before concentrating on one discipline.  I do think this helps to lesson the burn-out or perhaps just delay it. 

So back to the question - identifying promise and potential - I'd say not to try!  Try to encourage love of the sport and the ones with promise and potential will still be there skating 10 - 20 years from now!

Offline sleepyhead

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »
Admittedly I know nothing at all about skating myself, but I think I know children and parents. When I look around the rink I know which ones I expect will still be going strong in 5-10 years. I figure the kids who whine more about going home afterwards than they do about getting on the ice/being cold/etc are the likely stayers. I also think the parents who ask a million questions before things happen (ie: before coach suggests a 6 am lesson; before child gets invited to her first long distance comp/etc) are more prepared for financial/etc reality and more likely long-term supporters.
I'll let you know in 5-10 years if I was right.  ;D

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
1. Parents who don't miss lessons, or come late.

2. Parents (or kids) who tie their skates tight enough the skates don't warp when they walk.

3. Joy and Laughter on ice. No trace of fear or common sense.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »
Here is my list

1. Fearless, friendly kids who genuniely love being out on the ice, like the coaches, and are friends with the other kids.

2. Parents that are prepared to and willing to spend all the $$$ to make the childs dream happen and are able to step back and let the coaches do the work. They watch quietly from the lobby and never coach from the boards.

I think it is more the parents that can make it happen. If a kid is talented, but the parent only thinks they only need group lessons once a week then it really isn't going to go anywhere.

I also define promise and potential as someone who grows up skating for the sheer love of growing up skating. I would much rather have a student that skates 2-4 times a week form 2nd grade to senior year of high school and never gets past double flip/lutz but LOVES every second of it than a kid that is full of talent and really has that wow factor BUT who's mom and dad have to drag them to the rink and watch everything like a hawk to make sure they practice. Those kids usually quit when they turn 13 or 14.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
Very true that the parents make it happen, icefrog.. a kid under 12 or so just does not have the fight in them to get the parents to pay for more, bring them more often. That's the heartbreaking part- a kid that loves every bit of it, could do so much more out of group lessons, and the parents won't have it. That's a potential great coach or volunteer that's just been stripped from the sport, you know?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
I wouldn't conclude that every skater should be a great coach or volunteer.  Sometimes, top skaters (who take privates) are terrible instructors/coaches and are too busy to volunteer because they've been so focused on themselves.  They don't remember what it was like to be afraid to glide on one foot or realize that the skater isn't turning their shoulders into the crossovers.

While desire is important, sometimes being blessed with good balance, muscle tone, and natural athleticism can go further than wanting to skate.  I've had a few phenomenal skaters in some of my group lesson classes, one using rentals to land a Lutz!  I can think of 2-3 that stayed in groups just because they liked the comraderie.  They weren't interested in competing or doing track tests - they just wanted to have fun and learn. 

The same group of kids can move up together, form friendships, and enjoy the sport.  The problem is that, once some of them switch to privates, the group gets smaller and smaller, so the classes end up being combined with different levels.  That can backfire, making the skaters frustrated because they don't "move up" as quickly and they feel awkward as younger skaters join the group.

I think it is more the parents that can make it happen. If a kid is talented, but the parent only thinks they only need group lessons once a week then it really isn't going to go anywhere.
I agree on the group lesson point - lots of young skaters never make it out of groups because the parents are afraid of the lesson and ice costs of privates.

I also define promise and potential as someone who grows up skating for the sheer love of growing up skating. I would much rather have a student that skates 2-4 times a week form 2nd grade to senior year of high school and never gets past double flip/lutz but LOVES every second of it than a kid that is full of talent and really has that wow factor BUT who's mom and dad have to drag them to the rink and watch everything like a hawk to make sure they practice. Those kids usually quit when they turn 13 or 14.
Absolutely - skate because you love the sport.  Well put.

I think that being a self-starter is important as well.  A skater who wants to skate more or take private lessons can do the legwork and figure out how it can be accomplished.  I have one student who arranged her own transportation so she could practice an extra 90 minutes a week.  Her parents both work and the sessions were too early for them to drive her.  They buy the freestyle card and the girl gets to/from the rink with another student's family.  That doesn't mean she's a great skater - it just means she has desire.  She also wants to learn tricks and tends to teach herself things that fall under "bad habits."  Always an experience, but she's a good kid.

I have a young private student who has the whole package: desire, determination, and athleticism.  She's sharp as a whip about what's expected and really tries hard to do everything just right.  If it were up to her, she'd be at the rink every day.  However, their family finances are limited.  She shares a lesson with someone else, she practices for two freestyles.  Her mom stretches the budget now and then with extra sessions.  I'd rather see her work within their constraints than have them pull her out because skating is unaffordable for their budget.  We try to find ways to keep the budget in check so skating doesn't become a financial burden.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
I have a young private student who has the whole package: desire, determination, and athleticism.  She's sharp as a whip about what's expected and really tries hard to do everything just right.  If it were up to her, she'd be at the rink every day.  However, their family finances are limited.  She shares a lesson with someone else, she practices for two freestyles.  Her mom stretches the budget now and then with extra sessions.  I'd rather see her work within their constraints than have them pull her out because skating is unaffordable for their budget.  We try to find ways to keep the budget in check so skating doesn't become a financial burden.

You sound like a great coach! My daughter's coach was very helpful and understanding when we hit a financial bump in the road. She is one of the main reasons my daughter is still skating. My daughter is not the best skater out there... but for the most part she works very hard. Great coaches like you help keep kids with limited resources on the ice.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
You also need to watch for the "skating parents" if you are indeed looking at families. Families who push a young skater too hard (hours on the ice, plus off-ice, plus constantly breathing down their necks, obsessing over every single jump gained or lost, competition won or lost, etc)- will burn out a skater very quickly.  I've seen more than a few kids quit because they couldn't stand their parents' pressure.  When parents are weeping and crying over a placement, or forcing a little kid to skate for hours and hours (which Skate Canada I know for certain is absolutely against!) - or constantly badgering over "do you have your axel? What did your coach say? Your double sal - why does Sally have hers and you don't" - it'll drive some kids out of the sport. Which is sad.