You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Practice Lists  (Read 4831 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Practice Lists
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
I've been having my students use a notebook to plan and record practice items.  I do the same when I skate for myself.

Several skaters received an iPod Touch for Christmas.  My DD made a practice list using one of the apps and she used it to "check off" the things she had to practice.  The items she didn't get to practice stayed on the list for next session and she "renewed" a few of the checked-off things.

Seems like a good way to track practices, so I thought I'd share her idea.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Practice Lists
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
I do the same exact thing on my iPhone. I found that by using the checklist feature, I have more productive practices and spend less time skating in circles or standing still.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:32:30 PM »
Thats a cool idea! I make practice lists and I mentally check off what I did. I have a routine I generally follow and I pull the sheet out when I'm bored and need something to do besides gossip and the boards....

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
LOL I don't have that many things to keep track yet. The list could totally get out of control for people doing freestyle, dance, syncro, figure, and multiple programs!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:09 AM »
LOL I don't have that many things to keep track yet. The list could totally get out of control for people doing freestyle, dance, syncro, figure, and multiple programs!

I have dance days and freestyle days. Moves in the field get done as a warmup regardless and I've a sequence of power exercises I do before getting off.
But I do like the idea of having a check list. It's those moves that I'm adding on as extras which tend to get forgotten. I want to work on inas and spreadeagles but need to be thoroughly warmed up so they have to be at the end of the session and get done after everything else. However, as they're additional to the regular lesson /practice list, I've got to remember to do them. Once I repeat doing them at the end a few times then they'll be a permanaent fixture.

But there is far too much to practice and never enough time.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Whatever App she decided to use can create multiple lists, so she made one for Ice Dance and one for Freestyle.  I guess you could make a warmup/cooldown list as well.  In her case, the lure of skating buddies to hang out with keeps her from finishing her lists.

They take their phones and ipods on the ice anyway, to listen to music, so why not use them?
Still, the notebook can live in their skatebag and be available for all practices and lessons; they often forget their phones and ipods.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »
I know some coaches who make lists for their younger students. The kids tend to spend time on what they like to do, not necessarily what they should be working on.

I also have to make lists for myself because  my middle-aged brain is increasingly afflicited with "CRS."

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
I never got the whole list thing to keep kids on track. If they were really dedicated they would never talk to people during practice. *points to self*

I skated four hours on Tuesday and wasn't bored for a second. There was always something to do. I didn't even have a lesson, either.
I just focus on one area at a time. I often work on my program for more than an hour, if I have time. I don't work on every spin every day because there's so many of them. I usually do at least three out of the four multi-rotational jumps I'm working on. I remember pretty easily what wasn't worked on last time.
I use water breaks to think about what to do next. Skating around in circles while thinking is dangerous on after-school freestyles.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Wow, your arms are really long.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
I'm pretty dedicated, but we all have days where something just isn't working out and that kid is not looking where they are going and they can't seem to get out my way during the moves pattern that I still can't seem to get and I'm testing next month and I have a test/paper due tomorrow that I haven't started and I have ballet after this and I just want to go home and take a nap but I can't because I have to SKATE and I paid for the contract so I HAVE TO BE HERE!

That is when I pull out the list I have. Sometimes I do new spins or I practice a dance that I can already do pretty well that hasn't tested. Other times I just throw around single-loop-loop combos for fun, which are a good excercise anyway. Not everyone knows how to manage time wisely or practice and when the above things go wrong its hard not to stand my the boards and discuss the lastest episode of whatever show.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
When somebody keeps getting in the way is where I start wasting time. Setting up 20+ lutzes and not being able to go through with any.. I'm so fixated on the lutz that it never occurs to me to, um, do something else. :laugh:

I was thinking about it and I realized that I do things in the order that I like them. So sit and haircutters first, forward camels last. Loops/flips (single or double) first, axels last.

I don't think my iPod supports apps. I chose an iPod over an iTouch and my phone doesn't do the apps thing either. I only bring my iPod on the ice if it's empty enough to get a chance to play my music. Too bad- it'd be useful to put down moves tests in the right order (maybe I should go low tech and write it on my hand).

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
I don't think my iPod supports apps. I chose an iPod over an iTouch and my phone doesn't do the apps thing either. I only bring my iPod on the ice if it's empty enough to get a chance to play my music. Too bad- it'd be useful to put down moves tests in the right order (maybe I should go low tech and write it on my hand).

Sierra,

The orders are in the rulebook. But, I would also suggest practicing habitually your moves in order. That way it will be come second nature to do them that way. I always do my moves in order - Sustained Edge, Spirals, Power Pulls (outside then inside), then Serpentine. I started doing that as a kid and it stuck. But, it makes test day a lot less nerve wracking because I can go on autopilot with that piece and focus on what I need to do to perform.