You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: one down  (Read 2822 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
one down
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
dd passed the pp moves test.  Just wanted to let y'all know

Offline momtovanan

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: one down
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
Congrats to your daughter!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »
dd passed the pp moves test.  Just wanted to let y'all know

Awesome!! :) That is wonderful!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
Big congrats!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
Congratulations!  My DDs are getting ready to take Prel Moves next month, then they're going to work on freestyle.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
Great news! I bet you feel proud.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
That's great!

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
thank you

Everyone here has been so supportive and such a great help to a clueless mom who is used to being a tiger mom.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:59:20 PM »
thank you

Everyone here has been so supportive and such a great help to a clueless mom who is used to being a tiger mom.

That is what we do! I know IRL, I really enjoy helping newbies too! In fact, I think our best allies can be other skating parents. :) There will always be parents who are "dragons" but I find most parents are friendly and helpful. :)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:22 AM »
I've been test chair for so many years at my club that I've learned to choose judges who are willing to take the time to talk to skaters and coaches about test results after the session.  I've even had some judges ask me to tell the skater and coach that the judge wants to talk to them after the test.  The judges know they are part of the educational system and want to help.

My suggestion would be that if as parents and coaches you want to undetand more about passing standards that you get together and hold a mini-seminar of your own.  Contact a few judges, rent an hour of ice and invite a few skaters to "trial test" their programs or moves.  Then have the judges mark the test sheets and explain to the group why what they saw passed or didn't pass and what needs work.  It's up to the coaches to figure out how to get the skaters to do what the judges want to see after that.

In the past I've done a simpler format:  i've invited a local judge to come to a club session and watch a few skaters; then afterward we go out to dinner and the judge tells us what she thought informally.  It's good for everyone.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »
I've been test chair for so many years at my club that I've learned to choose judges who are willing to take the time to talk to skaters and coaches about test results after the session.  I've even had some judges ask me to tell the skater and coach that the judge wants to talk to them after the test.  The judges know they are part of the educational system and want to help.

My suggestion would be that if as parents and coaches you want to undetand more about passing standards that you get together and hold a mini-seminar of your own.  Contact a few judges, rent an hour of ice and invite a few skaters to "trial test" their programs or moves.  Then have the judges mark the test sheets and explain to the group why what they saw passed or didn't pass and what needs work.  It's up to the coaches to figure out how to get the skaters to do what the judges want to see after that.

In the past I've done a simpler format:  i've invited a local judge to come to a club session and watch a few skaters; then afterward we go out to dinner and the judge tells us what she thought informally.  It's good for everyone.

We've done similar things in our club. In fact, reading posts has got me thinking that I need to see if we can arrange another critique before Winter Games. Kids are testing and competing. We've got a bunch of skaters who are moving up levels and some breand new skaters too. Hmmmm...