You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Incredible Edger sharpening machine  (Read 10448 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Incredible Edger sharpening machine
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2023, 06:36:12 PM »
Ah. Now I understand why you might look for wheel alternatives.

So cost/sharpening is one more thing for people who buy sharpening machines to take into account...

I'm sure there are people in these forums who wonder if you think the IE was a good choice, and would be a good choice for others in this forum who are considering buy a powered skate sharpening machine. Is it too early to tell?

It would be a shame for you to stop sharpening. There are so few people with the kind of engineering knowledge and tools you have, or who take the time you do to figure things out, and who post info on their experiments. I hope your customers appreciate how hard you work at doing the best possible job. :) If you stop, they will soon learn most skate techs don't do that.

You've used Pro-Filer hand tools too, right? How would you compare using the IE vs the Pro-Filer? Have you ever try the old Berghman sharpening hand tools, and could you compared them to the IE? (Yes, I know Pro-Filer and Berghman are no longer made.)

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
I started figure skates sharpening´s with the machine which is basically bad copy of SSM-2. In that time it was cheapest new power grinder on the market and almost all local hockey teams used same machines. Person whom was "the official and approved" local figure skate sharpener used very similar machine. I was aware of Incredible Edger, and I dreamed about it, but I was too scared to make so huge investment when basically one-one believed that I can learn sharpening. I though that if existing skate tech uses similar machine, even this cheap machine cannot be so bad that I could not sharpen my own daughter skates with it. I used that machine some years. All that time I modified it and to be honest, I used too much money for updating that machine. Only thing I loved in that machine was almost friction-less axis movement (if you don´t use guiding roll in front of grinding wheel). All the rest caused lot of struggling, but I was still make better sharpening´s than existing skate tech. That is mainly because he used 5 minutes to one pair and I did use 1 hour. Shortly summarized, I do have experience also using 6" wheel machine.

Now when I have been using years 3" wheel machine, I would never-ever go back to large wheel machine. Not even the sharpening costs would be lower with large wheel machine. Are the material costs 0.1€ or 1€ per skate pair is irrelevant for me. Even-though IE has many things what could improved, I haven't found better machine from the market (personal opinion). I was considering also Blademaster BRPD1B, but I wanted to have almost friction-less axis movements, like I had on previous machine. Blademaster BRPD1B does have quite small table and I am worried about the friction when skate holder glides on the table. I do know few skate techs whom has purchad lately BRPD1B, so I will try one of those as soon I get change for that.

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2023, 12:26:10 PM »
I have never tried Pro-filer. I would like to try it, but I have kept it too expensive test when I have power grinder. However I have tried Skatemate. That I cannot recommend anyone. I do have also root honing tools from Precision Blade Honing Enterprises. I didn't like them either, so they all are decors among many other tools I have tested. Idea is in principle good, but I had huge problems to keep them running parallel and in the "bottom of hollow". In some day I might 3D print my own version of "hand hone". Even I am able to get pretty nice surface finish, I would still like to find way to improve it even more.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2023, 07:34:26 PM »
3D printing... Interesting idea.

The only 3D printer I ever saw used had an accuracy of 1 or 2 mm - not nearly good enough.

But I know there are much better ones.

Could a competent machinist make a handle (imitating Pro-Filer) with a drill press, plus a saw to make the gap, and then widen the gap with files? Obviously the hard part would be properly aligning and centering the gap on the hole. I guess that would require .0001 or .0002 inch accuracy, to make the edges even. And the hole would have to be just barely larger than the abrasive cylinder - i.e., just barely larger than the ROH - are there good ways to do that, with the tools you already own?

There are a lot of completely junky sharpening tools on the market. If I had started out with one of them, I would have given up.

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
In previous posts we have wondered how Blademaster 3BW can polish hollow without disturbing the edges. Today I had change to test Blademaster 3BW buffing wheel. Special thanks to Supersharp making this test possible! https://youtu.be/7gVOcWQUCtk

My assumption is that this wheel is designed to 4mm thick blades and wheel thickness would be "the secret" why Blademaster claims that their buffing is not disturbing the edges. Thickness of one the wheel was varying from 3.2 to 3.3mm, when the wheel what you can see in the video had much thicker sections. Thickness of the wheel in the video was varying much more. Wheels does have some axial runout, so we can expect that they will polish wider area than they are thick. However if the polishing is not going all the way to the edges, is it worth of all the extra effort what polishing requires?

First attempt was not any success, but I still try to figure out if I can solve at least some of the issues. IE was suffering from the very high vibrations, especially in the midsection of the blade. This might be an IE related issue. This video however demonstrates very well my earlier comments related to IE sensitivity to the vibrations / resonances.I believe my IE does have also too low rpm for this wheel type and it would partly the root cause why the skate carriage goes to resonance.

I didn't do any weight balancing for the wheel before using it. Even I could feel clear unbalance, I am confident that wheel balancing would not solve this resonance issue. I might be able to solve blade alignment / height adjustment issues, but high vibration / resonance issue in the midsection is probably tricky to be solved. With my experience power grinders suffers easily from this kind of issues. When wheel is not cutting the steel, it starts to "jump". I planning to test Gusto glide and some other "oils", but based on earlier experiences with other wheels, my expectation is that they do not help. Lets see when I have made more tests.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2023, 12:24:33 PM »
Oh.  :nvm: Never occurred to me that the wheel could be thinner than the blade. It actually makes it sound like a fairly good idea. If you use polishing fluid with the sharpening wheel, and don't push too hard, would you get much benefit from using a polishing wheel at the end?

Maybe Blademaster tested the wheels properties on one of their heavy duty machines, which might have less vibration than the IE, and might also spin at a different speed?

It sounds like your particular wheel wasn't very well made. Maybe Blademaster did their tests on an earlier prototype which was better made than the final product.