You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: First time back on the ice in 10+ Years  (Read 2435 times)

Offline CarolineE

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
First time back on the ice in 10+ Years
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »
Hi everyone!

This morning I skated my first freestyle session in over ten years since I stopped competitively figure skating as a teenager. It felt SO GOOD to be skating again.

I'm 27 and yesterday I just got my first new pair of skates since then too (I'm moving fast!). I got Jackson Premieres with Graf Diamond blades. I used to skate in Riedells but I got older and my feet got bigger/wider so my fitter switched me to Jacksons.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting back into the swing of things?  I would love to start taking private lessons, but I want to break in my skates and get a handle of my skating first. It is weird to switch to Jacksons and I really feel like I am dragging my toe picks all over the place.

When I left I was practicing Pre-Juv MIF & Freestyle. I had all my single jumps this morning (except for my axel HA) and scratch/sit/camel spins (but I was traveling sooo much).

I'm also trying to figure out what I want my goals to be as an adult skater, and whether testing is worth it or not. I'm in NYC in case anyone has any tips in regards to that.

Offline _wonderland

• Under the Edge
Re: First time back on the ice in 10+ Years
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
We are so similar! I skated as a kid and teen, now getting back into it at 27. I was closer to junior MITF and intermediate freestyle I think, though I never tested or competed. I'm so excited to get back to skating, it's crazy!

I, like you, am eager to begin lessons and just hit the ground running, lol. But I also know things are going to be different now as compared to before. I haven't stepped on the ice yet, except in rentals. I got my boots and blades, but I have to travel 5+ hours to have them mounted and sharpened. THEN, there's no year-round ice where I currently live, so I'll be waiting until I move to really start skating again. The anticipation is killing me. I'm so ready, I can taste it.

I'll be following this thread for the advice as well, if that's okay.  :love:

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
Hi!  Welcome!  I came back 2.5 years ago and also switched from Riedells to Premieres.  I had passed Pre-juvenile moves and Preliminary free as a kid/young adult and now since I've come back I've passed Bronze MITF and Bronze Freestyle.  I'm also in NYC and there are plenty of adults testing here.  Here's a suggestion while you contemplate private lessons - Sky Rink (Chelsea Piers) has an "Adult Skate night" Mondays at 7pm.

https://www.chelseapiers.com/sr/skating-school/adult-skate-night/

There is practice time and group lesson time.  They divide up by levels from just beginning to working on axels.  I don't go anymore due to work schedule but used to and it's a great group of people and you can "try out" coaches.  Warning: you share the ice with new hockey players, but it's ok.

Sky rink has tons of freestyles, including early morning, and Wollman Rink has a 6-10am session Mon-Fri that is pretty empty.

I love my coach - if you want a recommendation for a "try-out" lesson PM me and I'll send you her name and contact info.

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
I used to skate in Riedells but I got older and my feet got bigger/wider so my fitter switched me to Jacksons.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting back into the swing of things?  I would love to start taking private lessons, but I want to break in my skates and get a handle of my skating first. It is weird to switch to Jacksons and I really feel like I am dragging my toe picks all over the place.

Around three years ago, I finally got enough time to skate seriously.  I switched from an old pair of Riedell Royals to Jackson Elite Suedes.  The Jacksons had a substantially larger pitch angle than the Riedells (heel of foot raised up relative to ball of foot) [not sure whether this applies to Premieres, but you should check it out].  It didn't affect my forward moves much; but, going backwards, I kept rising up on my toes.  I had to totally relearn my back moves by leaning further back on my blades.  My skate tech had also mounted the blades such that the tip of the sole plate was a bit recessed from the tip of the sole.  Moving the blades forward a bit also helped reduce riding up on the toes.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
I love my coach - if you want a recommendation for a "try-out" lesson PM me and I'll send you her name and contact info.

I love her coach too - because she's also mine.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

I went to the Adult classes at SkyRink too when I first returned to skating as well.  It's a good way to get your feet back under you (although you sound like you're there already on day 1) and break your skates in while having some direction and challenge.

Where are you skating now?

(Hmm, that quoting didn't come out right....)
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
My advice, if you are serious, is to get a coach quickly, or make sure your group coach is actually a good one.  When I started skating after a ten year break (5.5 years ago now), I fooled around without a coach for a few months, doing jumps (Axel, early doubles) I hadn't done in years with a body that was NOT the one I'd been jumping with as a teenager.  My muscles were not ready for it and my technique suffered.

I'm mid 30s now, and I'm still trying to undo bad habits from that time period.  My Axel is still wonky (though consistent).  A good coach could have saved me a lot of time, but importantly, wear and tear on my body caused by improper technique.

I absolutely love, love skating as an adult, and actively test and compete.  I love the practice, the goals, the friends I've met, and the progress I've made.  My husband does not love the empty wallet though, haha!  I hope you join us!

Offline CarolineE

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Where are you skating now?

(Hmm, that quoting didn't come out right....)

I'm going to Chelsea Piers in the morning whenever I can fit it in before work. Skating in NYC is soooo expensive. I'm also looking into the rinks in Queens, but they are very far away from where I work/live.

I am also fairly close to an outdoor rink in Harlem (Riverbank park) and I believe they have a Thursday night freestyle which I will look in to.

Thank you everyone so much for you tips and advice! I will definitely look into the Adult skate night, and securing a coach ASAP.

So excited to start skating again!!!!!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
Yeah Queens is good if you can swing it, especially if you can go when kids are in school, early freestyles or coffee club.  I take lessons at SkyRink but generally practice in Queens.  It's cheaper too and there are some very early freestyles.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle