You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: *SPOILERS* ICE DANCE  (Read 4449 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
*SPOILERS* ICE DANCE
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
USA! USA! USA!
 :encore :encore  :toppts:
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: *SPOILERS* ICE DANCE
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
I recorded the morning see-everybody-skate this morning and was determined to watch it and learn this evening who won.  I'll be danged if I didn't click on CNN and they had it as a huge headline. No Olympic coverage that high so far, but the one I wanted to watch.  Grrrr!
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
I was standing in the lobby of my ice rink watching them skate. When that first amazing lift came up, I actually squeaked, it was so beautiful.
Of course, being a hockey rink, no sound on the TV.

At the very end one of the coaches rocketed off the ice and yelled, "What's the score!"

Me: "USA USA USA!"

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
Can't find a clip of Davis and White that works on UTUBE!
I'm really impressed with all 3 medaling dance teams. I'm Canadian, of course I was hoping for Tessa and Scott, but really it was almost like a replay of "Battle of the Brians" in Ice Dance. Could have gone either way with only a teeny slip by one or the other. I think they all skated clean eh? :P

Oh, and I think Meryl Davis has like the BEST hairdos ever.... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1953177-olympic-figure-skating-2014-meryl-davis-and-charlie-white-shine-in-ice-dance#articles/1953177-olympic-figure-skating-2014-meryl-davis-and-charlie-white-shine-in-ice-dance

She could be a victorian shool teacher, or Queen Elizabeth I  :)  She's hot :blush:

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:37:55 AM »
The article had me until the last bit, when she threw in the other Canadian team as well.  ??? 88) But it was fun to read an old-school style article, like they used to have back in the glory days of figure skating. Thanks for the link.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »
It does remind me of the Battle of the Brians also!!

I will have to go back and look at both free dances - I was able to re-watch D/W last night but missed V/M - I am thinking that when you are watching on TV you don't get a sense of the speed that they are travelling on the ice as well as when you are actually sitting in the arena - and so that may have been a factor -

Also in watching D/W freedance the intricacy of the choreography was amazing - first highlighting Meryl, then Charlie, then Meryl, then Charlie - like that - wow!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
I didn't watch the Olympics but based on the Grand Prix series, I knew that if both teams performed their best, Davis and White would be the winning team. That free dance was simply awesome and so dramatic.

I find it interesting that both programs had the same base value of 43.20 -- excellent professionalism shown by their coaches and choreographers. D&W won based on their GOE and PCS.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »
Looking at WWW stuff shows that there is a lot of debate over which ice dance teams should have placed where.

For example, one of the inventors of the "Finnstep" ice dance that was used in the short program has implied that the judges misunderstood the character of that dance.

I can't evaluate the technical issues. But to me Davis & White's performance was much more exciting and interesting visually. I love the way they move.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Yes... The conspiracy theory made me scratch my head. If they were so worried, they should have inquired about it last season when Davis and White kept getting gold medals.  ;)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
Which conspiracy theory?

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
I am assuming that the coach screwed over the Canadian team....

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
I am assuming that the coach screwed over the Canadian team....

I wouldn't post that myself.

The skaters watch each other skate, they're smart enough  to figure out what the competition was doing. If they felt that Zoueva was not doing her best for them, THEY HAD A YEAR TO FIX IT. 

These are adults who are professional competitors. In the end their ability to analyze their program against the competition is part of their professional acumen, and their ability as adults to deal with a coach on the issues, should be businesslike. IF they say "Oh she didn't give us enough attention." then they're saying they're unable to handle the realities of the business side of skating, and make decisions on their own if they feel they're shortchanged. These are adults. Any post loss whining on their part only reflects badly on them and makes them seem like teenagers.

In my opinion, what you're suggesting is tactically bad for Zoueva to do. She had two teams in the Olympics, and it was in HER BEST INTEREST to have both skate to the best of their ability to have a depth of field to protect herself from having only one team on the podium.  She would have to be professionally stupid to favor one team over the other. And there's no indication anywhere that she's professionally stupid.

If Virtu and Moir thought they got the short end of the stick, it's their own fault. Something interviewers aren't tough enough to point out.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
I misspoke

I was assuming it referred to the rumor innuendo that the Canadian team felt shafted.
My apologies.