You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Risport Electra or Edea Overture?  (Read 6130 times)

Offline salty skater

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Risport Electra or Edea Overture?
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
 I started skating about a year ago and I have all my half jumps and most of my singles but I’m looking at getting new skates and my coach recommended the new Risport Electra’s but I was looking at Edea Overtures with a John Wilson coronation ace. Thoughts?
(Edit: right now I am wearing riedell emeralds with the riedell luna blade)

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Risport Electra or Edea Overture?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
My daughter wears risport excellence, older model of a stiffness 40, so comparable to the new electra at 45.  She just got them two weeks ago.  We have handled the Edea boots at our local shop.  The edea overture is notably softer than her boots.  If edea is a good fit I think you'd be better off with the Chorus.

If the risports fit better, and youre not too big or hard on your boots, then i think the electra would be good.  But also consider the stiffer rf3.  My daughter easily broke in her new boots, and was doing full depth sit spins on the first day, and she weighs 53 pounds.  Now, she's higher level than you, working on double salchow and double loop, but if a 7 year old has no trouble with them, you should at least talk to your skate tech about going stiffer.

The JW Ace blade is what I've bought her, and shes on her fourth pair.  They are great.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
Supposedly Risport and Edea have a similar fit.  The factories are on the same street.  Risport seems to have a narrower heel, though.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Supposedly Risport and Edea have a similar fit.  The factories are on the same street.  Risport seems to have a narrower heel, though.

I dunno....they might be similar in that they are for feet that are a relatively consitant width from heel to toe, but Edeas would never have worked for me, whereas Risports are the best fit I can get without split-widths.  My Risports fit pretty similar to my old  Riedells- narrow throughout.  Edeas are pretty wide.  When I was trying skates. The Risports fit my very narrow heels well, but are too tight around the ball of the foot (I've had to have them punched about, and am getting closer to AgnesNitts boot-surgery method to ease the pain).  The Edeas were exactly the opposite- ball comfortable, but there are not enough gel sleeves in the world to stop my heels from sliding in those.  I was trying Dance models in the two lines, and both only come in a "C" width.  I have paddle shaped feet though- When I was sized for Jacksons, I'm a AA in the heel and a C in the ball.

I firmly believe that one must put ones foot in skates to know what will work best.  My coach had recommended Grafs for me.  They're great skates, but had I gone with her recommendation, I'd have been skating in extreme pain for the past few years, and likely dropped another decent chunk of cash on new boots.  Since I tried them on in the shop, I knew right away it wasn't going to work. 

Good luck!!!

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:58 AM »
I totally agree about trying on before deciding.  At our shop they pulled a Jackson for her to try, and as soon as her foot went in she said No Way.  They just felt wrong. 

I've read that Edea and Risport are similar, but Im not so sure.  They do both have higher heels, and carbon fiber soles.  And some of the new Risport models are microfiber.  But our excellent skate tech said he would not sell us Edea boots because he thinks the fit is all wrong for my daughters foot; and this shop sells a lot of Edeas and outfits many national and international level skaters.  Not many in our area wear Risports although they are quite popular overseas.  My daughter is on her fifth pair, and just increased stiffness with this newest pair to accommodate doubles.  They are a great fit for her foot. 

Don't buy without trying on first.  I would suggest having your shop order both a Chorus and an Electra or RF3 and try them both out at the same time.